The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Finally arrived today and picked it up from the FFL. I'm planning on shooting it tomorrow so I spent the last few hours casting bullets and cooking up recipes to try.

It felt good in my hand and the trigger is light and crisp; much lighter than my XDS. Haven't tested it, but I'd guess it's around 4.5lbs. Better than my last Glock's trigger and on par with my S&W M&P pistols; even a little crisper and lighter, perhaps.

I bought this to replace my current woods carry pistols, which alternated between a S&W M&P40C, S&W M&P40, and stainless Ruger Blackhawk Bisley with a 5.5" barrel in .45 Colt.

The Ruger is big medicine and a beautiful piece of metal. I have developed some handloads for it using hard cast 300gr bullets going 1200fps. They WILL put some serious hurt on a big bear.

But, I found myself usually carrying my compact M&P with 10 rounds of handloaded hard cast 180gr .40 S&W going around 950fps. Good enough for most critters except Grizzly and big black bears.

The smaller M&P was so much easier to carry in the woods with the multitude of holsters available and it's smaller size.

A few months ago, someone asked me why I didn't carry a Glock G29 in 10mm and I really didn't have a good reason why not. It's only half an inch longer than the compact M&P, holds the same number of rounds, offers a couple hundred FPS more in performance and approaches lighter .44 magnum loads in performance.

My partner at work wanted/needed a good all around pistol for self-defense and I told him how happy I was with my M&P40C. He couldn't afford a new one, so seeing the opportunity for the excuse to get a G29, I sold him mine for $300 and am taking payments. Threw in some ammo, $70 Don Hume holster, X-Grip adapter, and extra 15-round full size magazine. He got a great deal and I was able to finally justify getting a 10mm.

Can't wait to shoot it tomorrow; cooked up some 180gr hard cast loads for it going around 1240fps.

IMG_20170510_185017762.jpg

Reactions: MWood

Servant68

Sleepless 300 miles from Seattle
Jun 30, 2015
The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Back on topic:

Took the new pistol to the range and the mighty 10mm was, well, not very mighty... In a good way...

Recoil was definitely sharper and harder than a .40 S&W. But, my last woods carry pistol was a compact .40 and the hottest loads I was using in it recoiled maybe a bit more than the hottest loads I shot in the 10mm. Despite the increased velocity and energy levels of the 10mm, I think the Glock simply absorbed the recoil better than my M&P40C.

Accuracy is slightly better in the Glock than with the M&P with a couple of loads going under 2" at 25yds. Did some high-speed drills and was able to keep all shots on the paper and in the black; very impressed.

It is shooting high, though. Was thinking about replacing the front sight with a fiber optic one, so, will definitely do that now.

Overall, very, very happy with this pistol.

IMG_20170511_172707084.jpg

IMG_20170511_173951956_HDR.jpg

Upvote 0

favoritetoyisjoy

Nov 12, 2004
✟21,661.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sweet gun and cartridge, nice shooting and write-up too. I think the 10mm makes a great heavier duty round. The full size version holds 15+1 rounds to boot, good-bye 41/44 Magnum revolvers!

I bought a M17 Gen 4 as an all around high capacity pistol but I think the next time I'll go for a full size 45 ACP so that I can simply buy conversion barrels and caliber specific magazines since I already have compact and sub compact pistols. Fun!

Reactions: Servant68
Upvote 0

PRESIDIO

Site Supporter
Nov 20, 2011
USA
Visit site
✟60,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
I've heard the GLOCK 10mm is popular in Alaska. I have a G20 and it is a beast. It's certainly not .44 magnum but something about having a 15 round magazine in the backcountry makes me feel pretty good where the bears and cougars roam; and of course (another thing to love about GLOCKs) is you can buy yourself some 15 round G20 mags and they will work great in the G29. What's not to like about more ammo?

G20WarStick.JPG

Reactions: Servant68
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,996.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
There seems to be two camps up here regarding Glocks; they either love them or hate them. In Canada with the 10 round limit on mags, the capacity is not an issue. Big mags need to be pinned or plugged to 10. They have been over priced relative to the value of other fire arms here too, and warantee and parts support is virtually non existent. I would like to try one for myself and make up my own mind, but for now, no one at our club has one.

Upvote 0

Servant68

Sleepless 300 miles from Seattle
Jun 30, 2015
The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
There seems to be two camps up here regarding Glocks; they either love them or hate them. In Canada with the 10 round limit on mags, the capacity is not an issue. Big mags need to be pinned or plugged to 10. They have been over priced relative to the value of other fire arms here too, and warantee and parts support is virtually non existent. I would like to try one for myself and make up my own mind, but for now, no one at our club has one.

That sounds like an awful place... :D

I haven't owned a Glock in nearly 15 years simply because there are so many great choices in polymer self-defense pistols these days.

Had I not wanted a 10mm in a compact platform that was rugged and reliable, I never would have looked at a Glock.

Upvote 0