New guitar learner!

notreligus

Supporter
Jun 19, 2006
✟97,792.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I was a guitar teacher quite a few years ago. I don't think that on-line learning is as good as one-on-one teaching by an instructor who can advise you on proper hand position, the proper way to hold a pick, how to read sheet music, etc. Also a teacher can show you many basic inversions of chords which can help you expand from playing in what is called "first position" or what has also been called the "cowboy region of the neck." The "cowboy" reference refers to country and western songs which are usually based on a three chord progression, such as C-F-G, or I-IV-V and played at the lowest playing position on the neck.

That being said, Fender, one of the largest manufacturers of guitars and musical gear, has been advertising on-line guitar lessons at 50% off the regular cost. And they offer a 30 day free trial. Fender is typically a stand-up company and this might be a good value that you might want to check out. Fender refers to their on-line lessons as "Fender Play."

Shop Fender | Electric Guitars, Acoustics, Bass, Amps & More

Once you learn the basics of guitar playing that skill is easily transferred to praise and worship or other musical styles.

A quick lesson on reading musical staff:

There are five lines of music staff. The rule of thumb to remember is "Every Good Boy Does Fine." The first note on the first staff line is E. The note on the second line of staff is G. The note on the third line of staff is B. The note on the fourth line of staff is D. The note on the fifth line of staff is F.

Music Theory: The Staff, Treble Clef and Bass Clef

Last edited:
Upvote 0