Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some Counsel To A New Gathering Of Christians

New Assembly Form Of Meetings
[Letter adapted to avoid names and personal references]
Dear brother:
It seems good that you have found a suitable building for the group meeting in your home, as the public are more likely to come in there, I suppose. A large sign out front: Bible Meetings On Sunday, might be good. I would avoid putting a name on the building, as people will then call you by that name as some new sect, and I know you wish to be scriptural and avoid being a denominated sect. Being simply those seeking to go on as a scriptural assembly and Bible-only, with all others universal, we should avoid names and titles (for the Church in the world is nameless and without a hierarchy, we see). Two or three Elders who are well grounded in Bible study can take the lead, but allow all the brothers also gathered to share in the studies.

Until you are established as a recognized scriptural assembly among that fellowship gathered worldwide, which I spoke of, you should not have the emblems and "break bread", as we have discussed earlier. It would not be good to be proceeding as an independent assembly now, assuming all the responsibilities God has given. I am not telling you what to do or setting rules, brother, but I know you want to be true to the Word as you begin a testimony there, and I would much like to see you avoid independency, but gathered with all of us universal in many cities and countries. We also hold Bible conferences in some cities at times. Feel free to write me as you have further questions and concerns, and I urge you to visit the sound site at Biblecounsel.net to learn more of what God intends for His testimony in the world.

You asked about meetings. I would suggest you continue what you have had in the past in your home ---children & adult Bible classes; prayer meetings; gospel meetings. Our meeting hall has a large sign out front that says: Christians Gathered To The Name Of The Lord Jesus Christ -- All Are Welcome. A small sign by the door lists the various meetings and names of some brothers and telephone numbers.

We begin on Lord's day at 9:30 A.M. singing children songs from our song book --chosen mostly by the children, then the children recite the weekly memory verse they have learned from Messages Of The Love Of God (a Sunday school paper provided weekly by Bible Truth Publishers). We give each child a paper to take home. That will get the gospel into a home if the parents don't come with them. A brother sometimes speaks a few words to the children as an object lesson. About 10 A.M. the children then go into a classroom (or corner of the room with a sister for some Bible lessons, if no other room is available), and the adults commence a progressive Bible study each week. Sisters usually teach the children of different ages. The Sunday school is, of course, not shown in the Bible as part of a scriptural assembly, except is a provision for the children present as the adults have a reading.

Our endeavor is to be fully in accord with the Word of God, and especially Acts 2:42 at the beginning of the Church universal. We here all take a short break after the reading time for coffee and snacks, then commence the Lord's supper at 11:00 A.M until noon with singing some songs of praise and thanksgiving, reading of appropriate verses, and much prayer as we remember the Lord in His death for us. It is a time of worship and mostly silent meditations rather than preaching. A gospel and reading meeting is held at 6:00 P.M. for about an hour and a half --dividing the time for each. Wednesday evening is our prayer meeting time. Some assemblies also add a reading/study meeting then (45 min. for each).

This is generally our way, which varies a little with various assemblies. If this raises questions, feel free to let me know. Please continue to "search the Scriptures" and pray about all the things we have shared about a proper scriptural gathering, and keep in touch as you wait to see what the Lord will show you all. -RLD: 1/09

Reactions: Pilgrim

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi; good to see you.

Question: weren't the elders at Ephesus in Acts 20 responsible to the Lord directly as their risen Head? and so I don't understand what is meant by not being allowed to break bread unless connected with a circle of other assemblies.

I'm sure I would otherwise have a lot in common with you guys; blessings.

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi; good to see you.

Question: weren't the elders at Ephesus in Acts 20 responsible to the Lord directly as their risen Head? and so I don't understand what is meant by not being allowed to break bread unless connected with a circle of other assemblies.

I'm sure I would otherwise have a lot in common with you guys; blessings.

All assemblies shown in the Epistles were "responsible to the Lord" as you say; and also of one mind and fellowship everywhere, as we see in all the contacts by the Apostles. There was no thought of independent sects as man likes to have with innovations, ceremonies, rituals, hierarchies of exalted men, etc. Each was responsible to God, and to be of "one mind", "one accord" ---see the teachings at such as John 17:11, 21-23; Acts 2:41-42; Acts 20:27-30; Rom.12:5; and note 1Cor.1:2; 1Cor.16:19-20; 2 Cor. 1:1; 2 Cor.13:12-13; Gal. 1:2; Eph. 4:4-6; Eph. 2:19; Phil. 4:22; Co. 4:15-16; Heb. 13:24; etc.

There was a universal fellowship, and all were commended by letters to other assemblies when they traveled (note Rom. 16:1-2 and 2 Cor. 3:1 especially, and also in Acts 15:23; Acts 28:21; Phil. 3:28-29; Phm. 1:12. All the New Testament assemblies were of one mind and accord in the same faith, holding fast to "all the counsel of God" and were "rightly dividing the Word of Truth". The Bible only shows "unity of the faith", and "...no schism in the body of Christ" (1 Cor. 12:25).

The church today ought to follow God's order and the scriptural path, and be one universal testimony. That is what some of us value. You can read more about what God intends for His testimony in the world at the sound site: www.biblecounsel.net. Write me personally if you wish to talk further about church truth. Look up, friend, for our "redemption draweth nigh" (the translation up of the Bride).

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
All assemblies shown in the Epistles were "responsible to the Lord" as you say; and also of one mind and fellowship everywhere, as we see in all the contacts by the Apostles. There was no thought of independent sects as man likes to have with innovations, ceremonies, rituals, hierarchies of exalted men, etc. Each was responsible to God, and to be of "one mind", "one accord" ---see the teachings at such as John 17:11, 21-23; Acts 2:41-42; Acts 20:27-30; Rom.12:5; and note 1Cor.1:2; 1Cor.16:19-20; 2 Cor. 1:1; 2 Cor.13:12-13; Gal. 1:2; Eph. 4:4-6; Eph. 2:19; Phil. 4:22; Co. 4:15-16; Heb. 13:24; etc.

There was a universal fellowship, and all were commended by letters to other assemblies when they traveled (note Rom. 16:1-2 and 2 Cor. 3:1 especially, and also in Acts 15:23; Acts 28:21; Phil. 3:28-29; Phm. 1:12. All the New Testament assemblies were of one mind and accord in the same faith, holding fast to "all the counsel of God" and were "rightly dividing the Word of Truth". The Bible only shows "unity of the faith", and "...no schism in the body of Christ" (1 Cor. 12:25).

The church today ought to follow God's order and the scriptural path, and be one universal testimony. That is what some of us value. You can read more about what God intends for His testimony in the world at the sound site: www.biblecounsel.net. Write me personally if you wish to talk further about church truth. Look up, friend, for our "redemption draweth nigh" (the translation up of the Bride).
Great verses indeed; for local elders exercising their responsibilty to the Lord directly as their Risen Head is not an act of schism, though. (You can see that I am a convinced believer in local church autonomy and direct dependence on the Lord.)

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree with what you say in general. Godly assemblies must stand before God. I always intend to prove all things by the Word of God. Our further discussion on this should be in personal correspondence to not upset those who like to practice traditional denominationalism with innovations. I will write you, dear brother.

Upvote 0