• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

New Flag for the Union without Scotland

Discussion in 'UK and Ireland' started by Simon Peter, Sep 14, 2014.

1. lismore

lismore Maranatha

+2,850
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Single
    Hi Simon:wave:

The George's cross is a bit bland isn't it? The red one with the three lions is better.

:)

2. Simon Peter

Simon Peter 14th Generation PROTESTant

+251
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    Heraldry is about identification, and I do think that is important. I'm glad we are not all grey, or all live under one flag...how boring. We are many different colours and nationalities, and should be proud of heritage, even if we are English.
    Most lefties want the English to be ashamed of their heritage, everyone else can be proud be not the English.

The three lions have their place. But the English cross does remind me of the crusades, which were not boring or bland. They were good wars, and wars we would do well to remember at this point in history particularly.

I changed my flag just for you Lismore ;)

regards,

Simon

3. Strong in Him

Strong in Him I can do all things through Christ Supporter

+6,224
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    I've seen a suggestion that they leave the basic design but replace the blue with green for St David. It would make sense;.The Welsh aren't represented at all on the Jack; I'm surprised they haven't complained before now.

4. Robban

Robban ----------- Supporter

+2,453
    Sweden
    Judaism
    Divorced
    Was talking to a German Tourist in the summer, when EU was mentioned,

he meant, you don,t have to be in a union to be friends, we at the time helped a girl alone on a sailboat inflate her inflateable dinghy,:D

Flags can be used for a variety of motives, conquering Another country, and replacing their flag, or making a claim on land,

A flag on Everest, a flag on the moon,

In the intrest of gaining territory,
    EU have a flag, Why? Is not supposed to have been a trading agreement.

I don,t Think I can see it in the cards that I would be willing to die for the sake of a flag.

Flags can be overated,

As for heraldry,
    Adolf played that card too.

5. Oafman

Oafman Try telling that to these bog brained murphys

+4,045
    Atheist
    Private
    UK-Labour
    Yeah, there's nothing more 'good' than sending armies overseas to force people - on pain of death - to worship your God.

You must be a big fan of ISIS' work.

Perhaps we should go for a black flag with some crudely drawn Arabic lettering?

6. lismore

lismore Maranatha

+2,850
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Single
    Yes. We should remember that they failed. After killing a lot of Jews, Orthodox Christians (the people the crusades were meant to be helping) and muslims the crusades achieved nothing.

God Bless:)

7. Paradoxum

Paradoxum Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!

+621
    Humanist
    Private
    UK-Liberal-Democrats
    What important identification comes from heraldry?

I mostly care about the UK flag, and only vague about the English one. I don't see why it matters really.

There are good things the UK has done, so I'm happy or proud of some of our past. I'm English, but I don't see the need to metaphorically waving the English flag.

Do they want us to be ashamed of that? I'm not sure if you'd call me a leftist; I'm happy to be British and English, but I don't see the need to build up barriers of English vs Welsh, etc. :)

8. Simon Peter

+251
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    I'm sure they have, but the media is extraordinarily selective in what they print.

Almost every nation and person that raises a flag 'is playing the heraldry card'.
    Why use Hitler as an example?

The crusades have a huge amount of propaganda and historical revisionism surrounding them. In fact so much, that it should make you wonder what the left is trying to hide. :scratch:

The crusades were a couple of wars/battles during a period of immense Islamic expansionism.
    What the historians don't tell you is about the hundreds (yes hundreds) of wars and battles the Islamists started in Europe and around the Mediterranean as they tried to convert/conquer Europe. They also don't tell you that the reason for the 'Dark Ages' was because of the Islamic stranglehold on the med.
    The Crusades were in response to the Islamic aggression.

see above ;)

Ancestry, lineage, family, nationality, religion: identity.

Identity also builds a sense of community. Go into any mulitculturist city in England where you have Polish, Bulgarians, Middle Easterners, Pakistanis, Indians, and a few English....is the sense of commmunity better or worse than when the city was one people with families having lived close by for generations?

I'm from London, my family goes back generations in the city of London. My city, my community, has been lost, it's been destroyed, it doesn't exist any more.

Simon

9. Robban

+2,453
    Sweden
    Judaism
    Divorced

The Nazi party had an incredible sense of aesthetics, it was also a phychological propaganda machine,
    They knew the importance and effect of symbols and colours,
    and these were carefully ochestrated.

It is was one of the buttons they pushed,

10. Paradoxum

+621
    Humanist
    Private
    UK-Liberal-Democrats

I can see how having a common culture can be nice, but I didn't think that was what we were talking about. I don't think the government should necessarily force a particular culture on people though. :)

11. ebia

ebia Senior Contributor

+1,990
    Anglican
    Married
    AU-Greens
    Multiculturalism didn't destroy community. The hyper individualism of western culture did that. I grew up in a very mono cultural rural English community; then spent half my adult life in a very monocultural English city. Both lost their sense of community at least as quickly and completely as Bradford or Birmingham.

I now live in one of the most multicultural cities in the world, and the sense of community in the more multicultural parts of that city are far greater than in the white Anglo parts.

Immigrants didn't change your city. Londoners did.

12. Simon Peter

+251
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    That's true, but that doesn't mean that any culture that values flags is akin to NAZIs.

I agree, but that is what has happened. The UK government has thrown open the borders and gates and allowed mass migration into our tiny overpopulated underemployed island. I support limited immigration, but I oppose mass culture-changing migration.

No, change was forced on us. We have still never even had a vote on joining the EU! We had no say.

I agree with you about modern individualism, but that is largely a result of cars, TVs etc. not the changes I am talking about. Individualism did not cause 'Londoners' to make English a minority language.

Simon

13. ebia

ebia Senior Contributor

+1,990
    Anglican
    Married
    AU-Greens
    Hyperbole much.

The point isn't that Londoners chose to join the EC or chose to have immigrants.
    The point is that loss of community is completely independent of those things.

14. Robban

+2,453
    Sweden
    Judaism
    Divorced
    Simon,

no of course not, but the Picture in your post #1 and the second Picture in post #9 made Connections in my mind,

most surely you did not mean it was akin to nazism,

but some things can stand out in the mind,
    so that the Connections are there even though some may not notice.

Today I Went down to my storeroom in the basement,

there are several storerooms there,

and on some of the doors someone gotten in somehow and drawn "Juden"( in thick big letters)

it is something that does not just dissapear.

Not that it bothers me that much, it is as it is.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  15. Paradoxum

+621
    Humanist
    Private
    UK-Liberal-Democrats
    I suppose that's a topic for another time. :D