Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
It's interesting that Focus Features is also the company that produced "Pope Francis: A Man of His Word" and that both of these movies have been released over less than 2 months.

Honestly, although I didn't grow up watching Mr. Rogers, and he does seem like a kind man, his message appears to have far more to do with humanism than a Biblical worldview. It's not that we shouldn't be kind to one another, absolutely we should. I guess what concerns me that that the overall message seems to be one of self love and unity without the true Gospel (and as he was apparently a Presbyterian minister, one would think he knew how important the Gospel is).

The Pope Francis movie (and Pope Francis himself) are also calling for this same kind of "ecumenical" unity.

I just find in concerning (though not surprising) that this message of unity, without the truth, is what is being most promoted these days. Just my thoughts.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Honestly, although I didn't grow up watching Mr. Rogers, and he does seem like a kind man, his message appears to have far more to do with humanism than a Biblical worldview.
His show wasn't about teaching religion to children.
But he did teach about 'treating others as you want to be treated'. If that is not a Biblical view, I don't know what is.

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
His show wasn't about teaching religion to children.
But he did teach about 'treating others as you want to be treated'. If that is not a Biblical view, I don't know what is.

It’s part of a Biblical view. Many other religions teach that as well, and rightly so. Atheists also believe in treating others as you want to be treated.

Nor am I against doing so.

My point was, he was apparently a Presbyterian minister. So, he no doubt should have understood the Gospel and how it is central to everything and the only source of true unity. (We love because He first loved us).

All kinds of people can unite around the message of human kindness apart from God, and they do. The Gospel on the other hand, which is essential to true unity, can be quite offensive, as the Way is narrow.

As I said, it is my opinion that his message was far more humanistic than Biblical.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It’s part of a Biblical view. Many other religions teach that as well, and rightly so. Atheists also believe in treating others as you want to be treated.

Nor am I against doing so.

My point was, he was apparently a Presbyterian minister. So, he no doubt should have understood the Gospel and how it is central to everything and the only source of true unity. (We love because He first loved us).

All kinds of people can unite around the message of human kindness apart from God, and they do. The Gospel on the other hand, which is essential to true unity, can be quite offensive, as the Way is narrow.

As I said, it is my opinion that his message was far more humanistic than Biblical.
No one said his show was about religion, so I don't know why you are pointing that out?

• Agree
Reactions: TheGoodLight
Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
No one said his show was about religion, so I don't know why you are pointing that out?

I’m talking about the overall message of his show, also because the OP referred to “the spiritual roots of Mr. Rogers’ approach.” And he was a Presbyterian minister and apparently saw his show as a ministry.

You may not see anything spiritual in it, but many will. That is my concern. And we are all entitled to our own opinions and the opportunity to express them.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I’m talking about the overall message of his show, also because the OP referred to “the spiritual roots of Mr. Rogers’ approach.” And he was a Presbyterian minister and apparently saw his show as a ministry.
Ok. Let me ask you this.
If I, because of my Christian beliefs, routinely volunteer at a soup kitchen and I see it as a ministry that the Lord has given me to do, but I don't preach at the homeless, does that make my ministry of kindness any less based on my Christian beliefs or any less a ministry?

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Ok. Let me ask you this.
If I, because of my Christian beliefs, routinely volunteer at a soup kitchen and I see it as a ministry that the Lord has given me to do, but I don't preach at the homeless, does that make my ministry of kindness any less based on my Christian beliefs or any less a ministry?

I’ll answer your question with a question: if you were given the opportunity to share the Gospel (especially as an minister of the Gospel) would you do so?

See, it’s not difficult to say to people, “I know we don’t agree on who or what God is, so let’s just put all that aside and come together in “love.” Everyone (for the most part) agrees that we should be kind to one another.

You’d better believe this is happening. It is in fact the overall message of “unity” today.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I’ll answer your question with a question: if you were given the opportunity to share the Gospel (especially as an minister of the Gospel) would you do so?
Your question does not answer my question at all.

• Agree
Reactions: TheGoodLight
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hearingheart

May 25, 2016
Midwest
✟86,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
It's interesting that Focus Features is also the company that produced "Pope Francis: A Man of His Word" and that both of these movies have been released over less than 2 months.

Honestly, although I didn't grow up watching Mr. Rogers, and he does seem like a kind man, his message appears to have far more to do with humanism than a Biblical worldview. It's not that we shouldn't be kind to one another, absolutely we should. I guess what concerns me that that the overall message seems to be one of self love and unity without the true Gospel (and as he was apparently a Presbyterian minister, one would think he knew how important the Gospel is).

The Pope Francis movie (and Pope Francis himself) are also calling for this same kind of "ecumenical" unity.

I just find in concerning (though not surprising) that this message of unity, without the truth, is what is being most promoted these days. Just my thoughts.

We judge what we see on the outside, but we really don't know what happened behind the scenes of that show or how Mr. Roger's fame opened doors to deeper conversations with people who trusted him. He had a place and purpose and did what he could with the structure of a tv network system.

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Your question does not answer my question at all.

Then you missed the point. Fred Rogers was a Presbyterian minister who considered his show a ministry. So, he was an ordained minister of the Gospel with a ministry. Did he share the Gospel?

This is my point, we can and definitely should all agree to treat one another with kindness, dignity and respect. As Christians, we should also stand firm in the truth of the Gospel.

If Fred Rogers had been an Atheist, Agnostic, Buddhist, Muslim etc., I would not be nearly so concerned (though I would still caution people regarding the message.)

As I pointed out in my initial post, I find it quite interesting that this is the same company (Focus Features) that released the movie about Pope Francis last month. That movie had a similar message, though perhaps with a more religious tone in the sense that everyone knows the Pope is the head of the Catholic church. You may find this interesting, though you may have already watched it, as it's a couple years old:

Basically, let's put aside the issue of the different gods we believe in, because we all believe in "love." That is a very acceptable and popular message today.

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
We judge what we see on the outside, but we really don't know what happened behind the scenes of that show or how Mr. Roger's fame opened doors to deeper conversations with people who trusted him. He had a place and purpose and did what he could with the structure of a tv network system.

I understand. I am not judging his heart nor did I make one comment about whether he was truly saved or not. That is not for me to know. The message, however, we do have a right and a responsibility to be discerning about.

Upvote 0

Hearingheart

May 25, 2016
Midwest
✟86,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I understand. I am not judging his heart nor did I make one comment about whether he was truly saved or not. That is not for me to know. The message, however, we do have a right and a responsibility to be discerning about.

Hmmmm....the message of loving your neighbor, the message of empathy, the message of thinking about others, the message of respect......what's so awful? It was directed at children and had a specific purpose. Maybe you should watch some of his shows. Not sure what it is you are "discerning".

My kids also grew up with a show called Davy and Goliath, put out by the Lutheran Church and maybe that wouldn't have been religious enough for you either.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Hmmmm....the message of loving your neighbor, the message of empathy, the message of thinking about others, the message of respect......what's so awful? It was directed at children and had a specific purpose. Maybe you should watch some of his shows. Not sure what it is you are "discerning".

My kids also grew up with a show called Davy and Goliath, put out by the Lutheran Church and maybe that wouldn't have been religious enough for you either.

I have watched some of his shows. (And I plan on watching more of them) And you may want to go back and read my posts again. I specifically said I agree with being kind, considerate, loving, and treating others with dignity and respect.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My children grew up watching Mr. Rogers. Loved his calmness and message. We need more of that in our society today...the calmness, valuing one another, being kind, thinking about others.
My three oldest did too.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I remember Davy and Goliath, my kids watch that one too.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Then you missed the point. Fred Rogers was a Presbyterian minister who considered his show a ministry. So, he was an ordained minister of the Gospel with a ministry. Did he share the Gospel?
So you believe that because he was an ordained pastor the Lord wouldn't lead him into any other type of ministry besides preaching?

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
So you believe that because he was an ordained pastor the Lord wouldn't lead him into any other type of ministry besides preaching?

That's not what I said. Obviously.

Upvote 0