Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am seeking perspectives on what the New Covenant actually is. I do have my own thoughts on the subject, but I am working on a book, and I like the thoughts and perspective(s) of some of my brothers and sisters out there. Scripture and sources are desirable if you can provide them. Explanations are welcomed.

Because previous threads on topics as simple as a book title have made some feel self-encouraged to offer unrelated subject matter, let me ask up front that you do not attempt to derail this thread. It exists so I can sharpen my iron against your iron and learn your point of view on the stated topic. This is not a thread about once saved, always saved. It is not a thread about whether or not we are under the law, or whether we need to keep the law. It is not about whether Christians can sin, should sin, do sin or will sin.

All I want to know is what you believe the New Covenant is. By its very nature and definition, a covenant is an agreement. What do you believe that agreement is?

Reactions: SkyWriting

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am seeking perspectives on what the New Covenant actually is. I do have my own thoughts on the subject, but I am working on a book, and I like the thoughts and perspective(s) of some of my brothers and sisters out there. Scripture and sources are desirable if you can provide them. Explanations are welcomed.

Because previous threads on topics as simple as a book title have made some feel self-encouraged to offer unrelated subject matter, let me ask up front that you do not attempt to derail this thread. It exists so I can sharpen my iron against your iron and learn your point of view on the stated topic. This is not a thread about once saved, always saved. It is not a thread about whether or not we are under the law, or whether we need to keep the law. It is not about whether Christians can sin, should sin, do sin or will sin.

All I want to know is what you believe the New Covenant is. By its very nature and definition, a covenant is an agreement. What do you believe that agreement is?

Spend some time reading here. This comes from David H J Gay.

http://www.sermonaudio.com/source_articles.asp?sourceid=davidhjgay

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

We agree that Jesus died for our sins. Before, we hoped that God would
save us from our wages. Then, He did.

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

AJTruth

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
winter haven fl
✟22,122.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Old Testament = Old Covenant

New Testament = New Covenant

Hebrews 9:
13 For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh:

(OT sacrifices only covered "DIDN'T REMOVE" sins)

Hebrews 9:16 For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.

(DEATH OF THE TESTATOR IS NEEDED)

Matthew 27:50 Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.

(JESUS DIES)

Matthew 27:51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;
(THE OLD COVENANT ENDS RIGHT HERE!)

Hebrews9:
14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

Luke 22:
19 And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me.

20 Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.

Covenant to Covenant transitional chanse:

Ex 19:5 God says, if you'll listen & keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure to me above all people:

6 ""ye shall be nto me a Kingdom of Priests"" a holy nation

8 All the people answered & said, All that the LORD hath spoken we will do.
(The people agree to God's demands & a covenant is being forged)

10 the LORD tells Moses, Go to the people & sanctify them today & tomorrow & let them wash their clothes,

(The clothes washing is a part of being sanctified, to be made holy & set apart for the work of the LORD in the priesthood)

Ex 20:3-17 The Nation receives the 10 Commandments

Ex 24:3 Moses the people all the words of the LORD, all the judgments: all the people answered with one voice, & said, All the words which the LORD hath said will we do.
(Here again ALL the people agree to ALL the LORD has said)

5 And he sent young men of the children of Israel, which offered burnt offerings & sacrificed peace offerings of oxen to the LORD

6 And Moses took half of the blood & put it in basons & half of the blood he sprinkled on the altar.

7 And he took the book of the covenant, & read in the audience of the people: & they said (AGAIN!) All that the LORD hath said will we do & be obedient

8 And Moses took the blood & sprinkled it on the people & said, ""Behold the blood of the covenant"" which the LORD hath made with you concerning all these words.

(The Covenant of the Law between God & the Nation of Israel is ratified & ""SEALED IN BLOOD"")

Jeremiah fortells a coming: New Covenant & Why!

Jeremiah 31:31 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

(A New Covenant is promised to the collective Nation of Israel, the Circumcision (another covenant sealed in blood)

32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; """which my covenant they brake""" although I was an husband to them, saith the LORD:

(God will cut a New Covenant because:
"""THEY BROKE THE OLD ONE""")

33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

(Old law covenant, God say's, YOU MUST, YOU MUST!

New Covenant God say's I WILL, I WILL!)

Ok, Christ (Mediator of the New Covenant) has come:

John the Baptist is sent to reveal Christ to the Circumcision :

Reread Ex 19,s washing/purification/santification process given in preparation for acceptance of the Old Covenant.

John the Baptist message is repent from your past (old covenant) failure. And be baptized/washed/purified in preparation for acceptance of the New (Better) Covenant.

The old covenant was between God & the collective Nation of Israel only, the Circumcision (NO GENTILES!)

John the Baptist is speaking to the Nation of Israel. The Circumcision only! (NO GENTILES)

Virtually everything you read in the 4 gospels is to & about Nation of Israel, the Circumcision.

Gal 4:4 But when the fullness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, """made under the law""

Jesus kept, preached & lived by the law.

Jesus was a Rabbi, sent to the circumcision (Nation of Israel) only.

Matt 10:5 These 12 Jesus sent forth & commanded them, saying, """Go not into the way of the Gentiles""" or into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:

6 But go rather ""to the Lost Sheep of the House of Israel""

Matt 15:24 Jesus said:
"""I am only sent but to the lost sheep of the house of Israel"""
(The circumcision)

Rom 15:8"""Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision""" for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made to the fathers of the circumcision

Gentiles WERE NOT part of Jesus earthly in the flesh ministry

Israeli leadership rejects & has Messiah killed

After Christ's resurrection, the RISEN Lord chooses the Apostle Paul. And sends him to the gentiles. The door of salvation is now opened & offered to the Gentile world.

Eph 2:11 Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;

(The Nation of Israel, """called the Circumcision""" (thru a blood covenant made with hands).

Gentiles were """called the Uncircumcision""". They had NO covenants with God)

12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:

(Gentiles """the Uncircumcision""" were without God, having no covenant promises & a hopeless future)

13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.

(BUT NOW!!! By Faith in the Sin Atoning Blood Sacrifice of Jesus the Christ.

"""The Uncircumcision""" can enter into a Blood Covenant with God. Not one made with hands )

The Book of Acts is a transitional. The begining is written to & about the circumcision (Nation of Israel) only.

The transitional change grom Old to New begins in Acts 10 & in Acts 15 Paul's Grace message replaces the Gospel of the Kingdom message.

Paul teaches, Rom 1:16 Salvation is first to the Jew then to the gentile

The outpouring of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost (Acts 2:4) was in 30 AD. Jews only on the Temple Mt that day.

The Nation of Israel/Circumcision Gospel of the Kingdom message was preached for the next 21 years.

In 51 AD at the Council At Jerusalem. Paul’s gospel of grace message (Acts 20:24) supplanted. The gospel of the kingdom message formally preached by the Jesus & the 12.

The leadership at the Church in Jerusalem. Send to all the Churches.

Acts 15:23 And they wrote letters by them after this manner; The apostles & elders, & brethren send greeting to the brethren which are of the Gentiles in Antioch, Syria and Cilicia:

24 Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment:

JAMES, PETER, JOHN, PAUL & BARANAS SHAKE ON THE DEAL HERE:
Gal 2:9 And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision.

If you made it this far, simply stated:

New Covenant:
Receive Gods Grace, Place your faith in the Sin Atoning Sacrifice. Found in the death, burial & resurrection of Jesus the Christ. Maranatha

Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟70,925.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The core foundation upon which the new covenant stands:

This is the covenant I will make with them after that time says the Lord
I will write my laws In their minds
And place them on their hearts
Then he adds
Their sins and lawless deeds I will remember no more
Heb10:16&17

• Agree
Reactions: Rainrider
Upvote 0

jgr

Site Supporter
Feb 25, 2008
✟784,067.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Israeli leadership rejects & has Messiah killed

This occurs in accordance with God's plan:

Acts 2:23 (NASB)
23 this Man, delivered over by the predetermined plan and foreknowledge of God...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bloodygrace

Newb Member
Sep 22, 2016
usa
✟20,950.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

The old covenant was a covenant of works that had to be physically performed to be a member of the covenant. This works mentality where one has to 'earn' their standing with God is what led to the gross legalism of the scribes and Pharisees.

The new covenant is a covenant of faith where our standing is based entirely on our acceptance of and belief in Jesus Christ as our savior. Any works that are performed by believers in this covenant are out of gratitude and never to 'earn' our standing with God.

Upvote 0

bloodygrace

Newb Member
Sep 22, 2016
usa
✟20,950.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
This is a great place to start for those trying to understand the New Covenant of Christ.

I don't support Israel because if I did I would be supporting homosexuality, atheism and Christ hatred. Some Jews may come to repentance in the last days but not the whole nation. There was a remnant of believing Jews in the 1st century and they accepted Christ and preached grace, that should tell you something.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't support Israel because if I did I would be supporting homosexuality, atheism and Christ hatred. Some Jews may come to repentance in the last days but not the whole nation. There was a remnant of believing Jews in the 1st century and they accepted Christ and preached grace, that should tell you something.

You would be one of the few who understands Talmudic Judaism.

Upvote 0

Rainrider

Jun 6, 2017
Lovington
✟16,703.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

A look at the Avrahamic Covenant, (or Old Covenant). I use that phrase, not to belittle, rather it is how I see it.
The Avrhamic Covenant has not changed, It was then and is today salvation by grace. Witness, ( short for passage backing this).
Rom 4:3
For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.
As can be seen Avraham simply believed, no works, no drawn out practice of any rights, or sacrifices.
So what changed, according to the Bible? Witness
Jer 31:31
“The day is coming,” says the LORD, “when I will make a new covenant with the people of Israel and Judah.
Jer 31:32
This covenant will not be like the one I made with their ancestors when I took them by the hand and brought them out of the land of Egypt. They broke that covenant, though I loved them as a husband loves his wife,” says the LORD.
Jer 31:33
“But this is the new covenant I will make with the people of Israel on that day,” says the LORD. “I will put my instructions deep within them, and I will write them on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people.
Only where this covenant would be placed.
The 9 times it talks of this new covenant in the NT, it speaks of blood. Almost all covenants made by HaShem are blood covenant's. His reason for this that a blood covenant, last forever. It is pasted down from generation to generation.
I will stop here as you only asked about the N.C. and O.C. however if you wish to hear more on what a blood covenant is, how they are made, and why they should always remain standing, I will gladly answer you.
May HaShem bless you and guide you in your in-devour. Always look to Him for the truth, and be faithful in your studies.

Upvote 0