Aug 27, 2014
✟429,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I guess I'm a bit behind the times, but apparently the well-established French record label Inedit has released a collection of Coptic chants. I always get excited to find things like this, because there is very little from our tradition which is released into the wider world (much less than in the case of the Armenians, or arguably the Syriacs and Ethiopians, and all combined get dwarfed by the massive output of the Chalcedonian churches). Because this is the case, I really do feel like every document like this is pretty much invaluable as a testament to our living tradition and faith (even if the liner notes to such things, often written by non-Coptic musicologists and anthropologists, like to stress how the Copts are heirs to a "glorious past civilization" or whatever; true, but they are also very much still present and thriving!).

I hope you all find these hymns as edifying as I do. :)

Hymns of the Coptic Orthodox Church (Inedit, France, 2014)

Sung by the Choir of the Institute of Coptic Studies, led by Prof. Michael Ghattas and Moalem Gad Lewis.

01. Ten Ou Osht (We worship You)
02. Epouro (O King of Peace)
03. Alleluia
04. Shere Ne Maria (Hail to you, Mary)
05. A Penchoys Isos Pi Ekhristos (Our Lord Jesus Christ)
06. Pekethronos (Thy throne)
07. Golgotha
08. Christos Anesti (Christ is Risen)
09. Pi Epnevma (The Spirit)
10. Asoamin to Kirio (Let us praise the Lord)
11. Madiha Amdah Fel Batul (Madiha "I praise the Virgin", sung in Arabic for Kiahk tasbeha)