New college student, old questions

sc4s2cg

'Cause human tears are older than the rain.
Nov 28, 2004
Somewhere on Earth.
Visit site
✟20,163.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Yesterday I went to a Red Cross course on CPR (infant, child, and adult) and first aid just because I was thinking of applying for a Home Care position at a Children's Hospital near me. Now, I would like to apply more than ever...the only thing is college. I am to become a pre-Nursing student at a University on the 24th and am told, by both students and adults I talked to at a program and my parents, that it will be a very...studious...course. Basically I am a tad afraid that I won't have time, especially since the position is On-Call, but I have wanted to do something ever since our local VBS where I volunteered in the Nursery.

The full description of the job:

Home Care Assistants & STNA's, Children's Home Care Group

Personal care for pediatric and young adult patients in a home care setting.

Qualifications Required:
High School graduate, (or equivalent). Must have good references, able to pass a physical, drug screen and background check. Basic First Aid and Infant and Adult CPR required.
Organization: CHILDREN'S HOME CARE GROUP
Department: Children's Home Care Group

My class schedule, as organized by me:

So my questions:

Does On-Call/PRN mean they may call me at midnight, during my classes, etc? Is there anyway I can ask them to limit calls to certain periods of the day or certain days?

Would it be wise to have a job while going to college, even if the job is in the field that I am planning on majoring in?

What will I, specifically, be doing?

Will I have time to have the required commitment to both college and job? Remember, there are children involved....

Thank you so much for any help and G-d bless,
sc

Kristen.NewCreation

Jul 11, 2007
Visit site
✟303,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yesterday I went to a Red Cross course on CPR (infant, child, and adult) and first aid just because I was thinking of applying for a Home Care position at a Children's Hospital near me. Now, I would like to apply more than ever...the only thing is college. I am to become a pre-Nursing student at a University on the 24th and am told, by both students and adults I talked to at a program and my parents, that it will be a very...studious...course. Basically I am a tad afraid that I won't have time, especially since the position is On-Call, but I have wanted to do something ever since our local VBS where I volunteered in the Nursery.

The full description of the job:

Home Care Assistants & STNA's, Children's Home Care Group

Personal care for pediatric and young adult patients in a home care setting.

Qualifications Required: High School graduate, (or equivalent). Must have good references, able to pass a physical, drug screen and background check. Basic First Aid and Infant and Adult CPR required.
Organization: CHILDREN'S HOME CARE GROUP
Department: Children's Home Care Group

My class schedule, as organized by me:

So my questions:

Does On-Call/PRN mean they may call me at midnight, during my classes, etc? Is there anyway I can ask them to limit calls to certain periods of the day or certain days?
In the US, oncall/PRN means they can call you if someone is not available to work their regular shift or if they need extra help. Most oncall positions vary by organization, but usually you are able to say no, as long as you don't say no every time. When I've worked PRN, I always provided them with when I could work and told them what shifts I was available. I loved when they called me on nights, because I was able to study some - it would be slower than day shifts.

Would it be wise to have a job while going to college, even if the job is in the field that I am planning on majoring in?
That depends on you. I found working necessary, and since my employment was in the field of my studies, it was very helpful.

What will I, specifically, be doing? You'll have to ask your supervisor about this one.

Will I have time to have the required commitment to both college and job? Remember, there are children involved....

Thank you so much for any help and G-d bless,
sc

Having time is up to you. In the US, 1 credit hour of study is equivalent to 3 hours of study per week. So if I'm taking 12 hours of classes (bottom number of full time undergrad hours), I should expect that I "should" study approximately 36 hours a week.

With that said, I rarely studied 36 hours a week on a regular basis... but I bet I studied around 20 hours a week. And, I always worked a full time job. However, I did not have children at home, I didn't have a spouse at home, and at times I had very little sleep. I studied creatively - in between classes, during dinner, while watching tv, on break at work (or during work depending upon the job), and used a tape recorder to be able to re-listen to the lecture when traveling.

Good luck in your studies.
Kristen

Upvote 0