Victoria
✟18,069.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We have attended a church for 30 years and with great sadness have found it time to move on.
We have made every effort to “leave well” and maintain the relationships which are important, but needed to make a stand against some issues we could no longer tolerate.

Now comes the time to look for a new church but it is very daunting. We are in Australia, and not particularly committed to a denomination - we have always said we are Christians who go to a Baptist church rather than that we are Baptists.

I guess our criteria comes down to Micah 6:8 - a church and congregation that walks the talk.

It is quite exhausting trying to visit different churches each week! And we don’t really want to speak badly of our old church -not least because in Melbourne, everybody in churches seems to be know someone who you know!!

Other than visiting a new church every week, what are your strategies for finding a new church community?

• Prayers
Reactions: anna ~ grace

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,064,547.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
When I came to Christ there were revivals, camp meetings, and conferences everywhere. Now I am hard pressed to find them. One vacation while I was up in Michigan seeing some kin-folk I over heard two ladies say that they heard the Spirit prophesying that, "In the last day the people were going to have to, 'Cut their own paths' " I just know that prophecy was meant for my ears to hear.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,281.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I left a church and a denomination after about 25 years. It was tough and drawn out, but when it was finally over I regretted I hadn't done it sooner.

I wasn't upset with anybody, and faced no doctrinal issues with which I disagreed. I continue to hold great affection for that denomination, although no longer part of it. I merely wanted a different worship experience. The day I realized that, I decided I would take one Sunday a month and visit a different church once a month, always choosing a church with a different expression of Christianity (i.e. denomination) than I was used to. On the other 3 Sundays, I was back in the church of which I was a member.

It was very enlightening. When I disliked something I knew right away, and marked it off my list. I didn't need to go back. There was this one church, though, that piqued my interest. I was moved by the worship experience my first Sunday there. I kept feeling drawn back. I went a second time, then a third, then a fourth and so on. In this journey it was the only church I visited more than once. Eventually, I was attending that new church more often than I was in my own church and soon I didn't go to my own church at all. The new church was where I looked forward to being on Sunday morning.

The worst part for me was the guilt over leaving. I was conflicted over parting from my friends and the familiar, and leaving a denomination that had been part of my life from the beginning. The guilt was so strong that once I began attending my new church regularly, it took me 6 more years before I became a confirmed member.

One thing I learned was that those church friends I felt so guilty about leaving weren't really much friends at all. Only one couple retained connections with me. And the church I left didn't care that I did. I was in involved in church leadership. I had taught an adult Sunday School class for years. More importantly, I was the guy that made coffee on Sunday morning and set out the doughnuts. When I left, none of the pastors and almost all of the congregation didn't bother to pick up a phone and ask, "where are you?" or "what happened?"

I found what I was looking for. I regret that I didn't do it earlier in life. And, I feel foolish for the guilt that caused me to hang on so long before I admitted I was a new member of a different church.

Upvote 0

Bishoftu

Feb 13, 2019
Victoria
✟18,069.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks Seeking

That is us. Between my husband and I, we have been deacons, worship and music team leaders, Sunday school teachers, home group leaders, coordinated numerous events - so much of our lives given to the church.

Not one of the current deacons have contacted us since we left. We have certainly worked out who were our “friends” and who were the people we hung out with church for a few hours every week.

It’s very sad.

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hello, Bishoftu.

Other than for getting all the information possible about the ins and outs of the churches you are considering, I have always felt that there is no substitute for making visits, even though it can wear on you. I'm sorry that I am not able to suggest something that you haven't thought of already.

Upvote 0

Seadish

Oct 16, 2018
Colorado
✟33,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am so sorry for you,nothing like seeing people's true colors. I too find that it's helpful with so much internet you can research almost any church. I feel your pain in the not serving anymore, atleast for a bit but remember this is all about you and God. He will show you a good place.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We have attended a church for 30 years and with great sadness have found it time to move on.
We have made every effort to “leave well” and maintain the relationships which are important, but needed to make a stand against some issues we could no longer tolerate.

Now comes the time to look for a new church but it is very daunting. We are in Australia, and not particularly committed to a denomination - we have always said we are Christians who go to a Baptist church rather than that we are Baptists.

I guess our criteria comes down to Micah 6:8 - a church and congregation that walks the talk.

It is quite exhausting trying to visit different churches each week! And we don’t really want to speak badly of our old church -not least because in Melbourne, everybody in churches seems to be know someone who you know!!

Other than visiting a new church every week, what are your strategies for finding a new church community?

Over-all my rule is Bible-only, not the inventions and innovations of men through the years. You might contact Bibletruthpublishers.com for ministry on church history and ministry books. They might suggest a place where you live. It is truly a Bible-only source. You can see more on that at the site: biblecounsel.net. Seek God's leading for your path, friend.

Upvote 0