new Christian

stillost1573

Aug 30, 2010
✟15,112.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Hi, my name's Jason and I'm somewhat new to Christianity. Well almost. I was baptized Lutheran a long time ago but fell away from Christianity soon after because I didn't have a very good upbringing. I became angry at God because I couldn't understand why things had to be the way they were. I couldn't find any comfort in the Word and I became very hateful and distrustful of people. I guess you could say I'm still lost but I want to be happy and experience all the good things the Lord has to offer but I'm still apprehensive about opening up to people. I've been a loner for a very long time and I don't know how to open the lines of communication with others let alone the Lord. There's so many questions I have but I don't know where to begin to find the answers. I just feel that I've been running long enough and it's time to learn how deal with the many things that I let turn me into who I am today. All I want to do is find a way to stop the pain I feel on a daily basis. I'm also having a hard time with forgiveness. How do I start? Just reading passages hasn't really worked in the past. Thanks to whoever replies or reads this.

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,748.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Welcome.

I've also historically had problems with other people, and I still find it hard to find people worthy of trust. Fortunately, the God who saved me also knows everything about me, so I can freely voice my fears, failures, and pain to him.

Another thing to keep in mind though, is that he is a holy God who cannot associate himself with sin. This is why Jesus had to die and rise again for us to be able to begin a relationship with him. This amnesty plan demands our very lives and our very wills. We can't be our own bosses anymore. We have to conform to the opinions, beliefs, and wishes of the perfect God. His Spirit helps us along with that, but we must obey.

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is so very sad to see the hurt and unforgiveness that we put upon ourselves when Jesus is standing with open arms and in a matter of seconds and a few words, God will see you white as snow and all your sins in the lake of forgetfullness with all our sins.

God does not see you as you see yourself. All that is necessary is to turn to Jesus and ask forgiveness and ask Him to be the Lord of your life - then repent for all your sins, put your hand in the hand of Jesus and let the Holy Spirit guide you and the angels in Heaven will rejoyce with you - God is smiling down on you right now because He knows your heart.

Just do it and start letting the Joy of the Lord shine through your life. It does not matter what label we have on us or what denomination we are going to, keeping our eyes on Jesus is the secret, you can be rid of the pain in just seconds. You don't have to be in church, on bended knee with Bible in hand and people around you - just give yourself to Jesus and be ahead of the game and the Joy will fall upon you.

Upvote 0

Hakan101

Here I Am
Mar 11, 2010
Earth
✟1,715.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Hi, my name's Jason and I'm somewhat new to Christianity. Well almost. I was baptized Lutheran a long time ago but fell away from Christianity soon after because I didn't have a very good upbringing. I became angry at God because I couldn't understand why things had to be the way they were. I couldn't find any comfort in the Word and I became very hateful and distrustful of people. I guess you could say I'm still lost but I want to be happy and experience all the good things the Lord has to offer but I'm still apprehensive about opening up to people. I've been a loner for a very long time and I don't know how to open the lines of communication with others let alone the Lord. There's so many questions I have but I don't know where to begin to find the answers. I just feel that I've been running long enough and it's time to learn how deal with the many things that I let turn me into who I am today. All I want to do is find a way to stop the pain I feel on a daily basis. I'm also having a hard time with forgiveness. How do I start? Just reading passages hasn't really worked in the past. Thanks to whoever replies or reads this.

It is good to see that you have come to Christ despite the pain you have suffered. In truth I have had difficulty opening up to people in the past, certainly I still cannot do it very easily (at least in real life, the internet does make it easier).

I am very sorry to hear that you have pain everyday, I do not know your life, but reading those words reminds me of the emotional anguish I used to feel when I was younger. I understand forgiving those who have wronged you is difficult to do, especially in those moments when I am so wroth with anger I shout in my head "I do not care, Lord! They do not deserve it!" But what I do at least, is beg the Lord to take away my anger and help me forgive, because even if my emotions are strong, I know in my heart forgiveness is good. God himself forgave us despite all the sins we have committed, and he did so out of love.

You say that reading the word does not help you much. I had the same problem when I first sought stronger faith. What I suggest is that you find a good church to go to, because what the pastor will do is take that word and reveal the truth of it to you, he will help you apply it to your life. As you begin to understand more of it, you will be inclined to read it yourself.

I hope this advice was helpful to you.

Upvote 0
Jul 15, 2010
New York
Visit site
✟8,474.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How do I start? Just reading passages hasn't really worked in the past. Thanks to whoever replies or reads this.
You could trying praying and just asking whatever questions you can think of, they don't have to be in any specific order.

Also if you have questions you could do a Bible study on the questions you have. You could get a concordance or use a topical bible (Topical Bible - Bible Verses by Topic) and just look up the subjects you're looking for answers on.

I would suggest reading Jonah too, sounds kinda like your story.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

salida

Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
✟6,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
We will be your friends!!

Why we need God. www.livingwaters.com/good/

Take one day at a time and get some inspirational friends that love God by their actions. Read the bible and pray daily. Get involved in a serious church. Its a life long lifestyle and you will know God more and more. True faith is demonstrated by actions than then the feelings will come. Feel free to email me.

Do you have the holy spirit? He will give you the power to live a christian life. Human effort alone can't do this. Pray and you will get it.

Also, research the credibility of the bible concerning overwhelming evidence which is very high even though it’s a spiritual decision first.
Visit:
www.TheBibleProofBook.com, (you will need acrobat reader for this), read The Evidence That Demands A Verdict by Josh McDowell a former agnostic- (its overwhelming circumstantial evidence of bible) and Examine the Evidence by Muncaster a former athiest/The Case for Christ and The Real Jesus by Lee Strobel a former athiest. Christiananswers.net, www.equip.org (articles), http://www.gotquestions.org/

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Jason, great that you've found this site, everyone here is sooo supportive make sure you vocalise any troubles you might have. Regarding your comment about reading passages, I think the parable of the sower is quite relevant:
Luke 8
4While a large crowd was gathering and people were coming to Jesus from town after town, he told this parable: 5"A farmer went out to sow his seed. As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path; it was trampled on, and the birds of the air ate it up. 6Some fell on rock, and when it came up, the plants withered because they had no moisture. 7Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up with it and choked the plants. 8Still other seed fell on good soil. It came up and yielded a crop, a hundred times more than was sown."
When he said this, he called out, "He who has ears to hear, let him hear."

9His disciples asked him what this parable meant. 10He said, "The knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of God has been given to you, but to others I speak in parables, so that,
" 'though seeing, they may not see;
though hearing, they may not understand.'[a] 11"This is the meaning of the parable: The seed is the word of God. 12Those along the path are the ones who hear, and then the devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts, so that they may not believe and be saved. 13Those on the rock are the ones who receive the word with joy when they hear it, but they have no root. They believe for a while, but in the time of testing they fall away. 14The seed that fell among thorns stands for those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by life's worries, riches and pleasures, and they do not mature. 15But the seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop.
What this means is that the real gift is eternal life of knowing God. As the verse states, accepting the word of God is not the end of the story, it is just the beginning. The purpose of the Bible is to facilitate our understanding of God's nature so we can discern His voice in our mind. We all have an inner dialogue in the mind which is also the doorway to the spiritual realm. There are a lot of options for us when we want to get spiritual, however God makes it very clear that worshipping anyone except Him will not earn His favour. So you're probably at the stage where you need to work on discerning the voices in your mind and train yourself to recognise the voices you can trust while rebuking those who aren't from God. Eventually you should end up having a clear mind with just your own voice and the father's voice and you'll recognise instantly when the enemy drops by.

Here's another verse that will help with discerning God's voice:
1 John 4
1Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.
The enemy will try everything to prevent you from getting close to God. It is important to pray daily and to love the Lord with all your heart all through the day. And definitely get stuck into the Bible so you can learn more about the nature of God and how far out of His way He has gone for our sake.

Blessings friend :angel:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The internet can be nice and people are more than willing to give advice, but it is no substitute for actually going to church. The faith must be lived- it isn't simply an intellectual assent. Being an introvert should not be an obstacle (I'm one myself)- though it can be quite difficult to put yourself out there- and even the prospect can be daunting. Don't let this stop you from going to church!

Entering God's Kingdom | Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese
OCA - The Orthodox Faith
P r a y e r
Let us
Abbreviated Prayerbook
The Message of the Lord's Prayer

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Even recognizing the lack of interrelating skills is a plus. I don't think God's got any trouble connecting with you. He can see your heart. You don't have to speak or put it into words.

I'm a loner-introvert, too. At least at first.

The killer here is "sin" -- it prevents us from doing what should be done, and that puts us at a moral failing in God's all-knowing judgment. Something's gotta change. This failing will frustrate us to no end, literally. We're fighting all the time to get the truth out, to get ourselves out of our shells. And nothing really works right (Rom 7:15-eoc).

It isn't words, it's collapsing into Christ's ability, handing Him your inability and trusting He will help. That help may come any number of ways, so patience and awareness are good, as well as simply initiating a relationship with a church.

We're listening to you, too. Let us know more about how we can help.

Upvote 0

suma

Sep 19, 2010
✟7,611.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi,see our life in this earth is very temporary,we are looking towards the eternity.God gives us sorrows,pain so that we become more humble,obedient & depend on Him alone & finally to come closer to God,which we can't when we are happy in this world.Spend time in prayer,read Bible have fellowship with God,and you will then understand and apprehend the beauty of Holiness ,His Glory & all these wordly matters seems nothing before that.Remember prayer alone can bring closer to God.

Upvote 0