Orange, TX
✟16,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Hi! Thank you in advance for reading and replying!

I am a new babe in Christ. I am working on rebuilding my life, but most importantly I want it centered around Jesus.

I am going back to work soon and must choose between two jobs. One is a carpentry job that is at least 10 or 15 miles away (I have a bicycle) and allows a schedule for me to attend church regularly.

The other is closer by (maybe 2 miles) but has a rotating shift that will cause me to miss some of our services each month.

My heart is set on going to Church and learning God's word but I also want to be a reliable worker for my family.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Dave-W

“Paisios”

Sinner
Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Church attendance is not the only measure (nor even the most important measure) of your walk with Christ. Scheduling and availability to attend services is an important consideration, but consider all the other factors involved in making job decisions, including how each job would affect your ability to live your faith and their effects on your family. Then pray about it and seek advice from your pastor and elders in the church who understand your whole situation.

Sometimes ensuring we can adequately provide for our family is more important and more godly than attending church each week.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,559.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How secure are each job?
Would it be possible to give up the shift on Sunday and for someone to work extra hours?
I'm always inclined to go for the job closer to home.

Upvote 0

isaiah15689

Dec 26, 2017
Orange, TX
✟16,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Church attendance is not the only measure (nor even the most important measure) of your walk with Christ. Scheduling and availability to attend services is an important consideration, but consider all the other factors involved in making job decisions, including how each job would affect your ability to live your faith and their effects on your family. Then pray about it and seek advice from your pastor and elders in the church who understand your whole situation.

Sometimes ensuring we can adequately provide for our family is more important and more godly than attending church each week.

Thank you so much for your reply and advice! Your reassurance is greatly appreciated!

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Hi! Thank you in advance for reading and replying!

I am a new babe in Christ. I am working on rebuilding my life, but most importantly I want it centered around Jesus.

I am going back to work soon and must choose between two jobs. One is a carpentry job that is at least 10 or 15 miles away (I have a bicycle) and allows a schedule for me to attend church regularly.

The other is closer by (maybe 2 miles) but has a rotating shift that will cause me to miss some of our services each month.

My heart is set on going to Church and learning God's word but I also want to be a reliable worker for my family.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
I don't think the Lord will hold it against you if you have to miss some services, though all things being equal, he'd probably prefer you take a job that allowed you to go to church regularly.

Upvote 0

isaiah15689

Dec 26, 2017
Orange, TX
✟16,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
I don't think the Lord will hold it against you if you have to miss some services, though all things being equal, he'd probably prefer you take a job that allowed you to go to church regularly.

Thank you, that is what my heart is set on. Maybe a longer trip each day wouldn't be for the better

Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

isaiah15689

Dec 26, 2017
Orange, TX
✟16,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
How secure are each job?
Would it be possible to give up the shift on Sunday and for someone to work extra hours?
I'm always inclined to go for the job closer to home.

Each one is pretty secure. I would even make up for the time missed if I could. Maybe I can find someone to swap hours with

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟303,748.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My heart is set on going to Church and learning God's word but I also want to be a reliable worker for my family....
God has given you this desire and you should honor it. Putting Him first will find all other things added.

Psalms 37:3Trust in the LORD and do good; Dwell in the land and cultivate faithfulness. 4Delight yourself in the LORD; And He will give you the desires of your heart. 5Commit your way to the LORD, Trust also in Him, and He will do it.
Psalms 20:4May He grant you your heart's desire And fulfill all your counsel! 5We will sing for joy over your victory, And in the name of our God we will set up our banners. May the LORD fulfill all your petitions.…

Following Him reflects peace of heart and mind. So being aware of it's leading is a good thing.

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you, that is what my heart is set on. Maybe a longer trip each day wouldn't be for the better
Fifteen miles by bike each way everyday along with a heavy physical labor job like carpentry would be unworkable for me...but I’m old and relatively out of shape. Still, a lot of travel time away from family, spent in traveling.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

isaiah15689

Dec 26, 2017
Orange, TX
✟16,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
God has given you this desire and you should honor it. Putting Him first will find all other things added.

Psalms 37:3Trust in the LORD and do good; Dwell in the land and cultivate faithfulness. 4Delight yourself in the LORD; And He will give you the desires of your heart. 5Commit your way to the LORD, Trust also in Him, and He will do it.
Psalms 20:4May He grant you your heart's desire And fulfill all your counsel! 5We will sing for joy over your victory, And in the name of our God we will set up our banners. May the LORD fulfill all your petitions.…

Following Him reflects peace of heart and mind. So being aware of it's leading is a good thing.

You are right. Thank you for your advice and the scripture. God willing, I can find a way to live and serve him

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi Isaiah, and welcome to the Family of Christian faith. :)

we are told in the book of Hebrews to "not forsake the assembling of ourselves together." But that is not only attending church services. It is about forging strong relationships within the Body of Christ.

In Matthew 28, the risen LORD tells His apostles to make disciples, baptizing and teaching them how to live.

My suggestion would be that whichever job you take, find a man who is a mature believer to mentor you. Meet with him regularly for prayer and encouragement. That too is part of being assembled together. IMO that may even be MORE important than the actual church service. (At least for a while)

Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0