Thunder Bay
✟7,976.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Alright so I'm a 19 year old male. Currently in college and I decided that I want to have a relationship with God because I have had multiple experiences with God and the desire has been there since. I was a druggie and drug dealer since i was 14 and um I feel like substance abuse is a huge problem in my life. I only have about 2 clean friends but I don't know them too well so I basically hang out with potheads, alcoholics, etc. This whole christian walk and learning to socialize without substances is one of the hardest things ive done in a while. I've joined a church a few months ago and I just felt uncomfortable and ignored. I tried making christian friends but you know, different schedules and some seemed like they didn't seem interested at all. I got sick of just having small talk every sunday and at the bible study so I went back to my old friends to fill that void of feeling alone and lonely. From there I drank some alcohol then went on a week binge of using. I just feel so stuck in this rut and i don't know how I'm going to make clean friends and live a sober life like I remember back in high school i'd see the school counsellor then after that I seen a psychologist for help but it didn't do me any good. I can't move because I don't know where to go and I'm in the process of getting my diploma so moving will probably be an option in a year or two. In the meantime I'd like to start focusing on fitness and reading more often but if ya'll can shoot me some advice that would be great.

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,493.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Welcome to Christian Forums and (most importantly) to God's Kingdom! :clap:

With a drug bondage, I highly recommend seeking out a church that moves in deliverance.

If you were in the USA, I would recommend Vineyard (churches). Vineyard/CANADA is likely the same.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Honestly Man, you should try to just work towards encouraging your drinking buddies to become Christians and then at least you will have true friends that are Christians. Plus you can help each other stay on track.

It’s hard to make true friends in this life Christian or not.

The older you get the tougher it is.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,493.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you are in Thunder Bay, ON, I found two with ties to Vineyard/CANADA.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,748.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Following Jesus and getting your diploma are two very good things, do not give up on them. So is socializing with clean and sober people. It is going to be an adjustment for you, but it is a necessary adjustment. Depending on substance abuse to facilitate socializing is a weakness that drags down your life. You have to power through this, nobody can do this for you. You do it with God, but you have to do it.

If you're focusing on fitness, great - see if there's one or more Christian men at whatever gym you are going to who is actively following Jesus and wants to be friends with you. You need Christian men as friends who can walk with you and show you how to be a man who follows the Lord. That can help with the socialization, and it may even help with the books.

• Useful
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Jonswater

Jun 15, 2018
Netherlands
✟15,321.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hey Brother,

I have been in your same situation, I was using a lot of drugs and fully involved in the party lifestyle until God stopped me. And it took me some time to fully leave that background. I was also feeling so much different than the "christian kids" and had a hard time fitting in for awhile. At church or bible groups when everyone was speaking christianese and I was not used to it at all.

Talk to your friends, tell them why you don't want to drink and do drugs, but if you have to move on then you have to move on. I have had to leave a lot of my party day friends behind. Its going to be a lonely path for a little while, during the transition period but trust me you will start to meet more Christians and will make friends.

I made this account to tell you that you're on the right path man, if you can try some different christian groups, or christian talks, some are more open than others. But keep reading the bible, focus on that and school, + fitness and things will come together. Try to leave the old life behind and you will get there man!

Upvote 0

bhayes

Jesus is Lord.
Dec 13, 2012
Canada
✟43,216.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey brother I just want to encourage you to not waste your life. Your friends are wasting their lives by committing sin and what they are doing, but dont waste yours. Also Jesus Christ is the only way to God, so read the bible and learn about him. Accept him as your Saviour and repent of your sins and he will give you the power to overcome that sin.

Upvote 0

Casey Harmon

Jun 5, 2018
South Carolina
✟18,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi, First I would like to say that I would love to be your friend. Second, I know how some churches can be in making you feel alone, ignored, and left out. I also just want to say that I understand the difficulty of having friends that are potheads. My ex is one but is trying to get clean and most of his friends are as well. I am here if you ever need anyone to talk to. :)

Upvote 0

Seun

Jul 11, 2018
Midwest
✟34,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Alright so I'm a 19 year old male. Currently in college and I decided that I want to have a relationship with God because I have had multiple experiences with God and the desire has been there since. I was a druggie and drug dealer since i was 14 and um I feel like substance abuse is a huge problem in my life. I only have about 2 clean friends but I don't know them too well so I basically hang out with potheads, alcoholics, etc. This whole christian walk and learning to socialize without substances is one of the hardest things ive done in a while. I've joined a church a few months ago and I just felt uncomfortable and ignored. I tried making christian friends but you know, different schedules and some seemed like they didn't seem interested at all. I got sick of just having small talk every sunday and at the bible study so I went back to my old friends to fill that void of feeling alone and lonely. From there I drank some alcohol then went on a week binge of using. I just feel so stuck in this rut and i don't know how I'm going to make clean friends and live a sober life like I remember back in high school i'd see the school counsellor then after that I seen a psychologist for help but it didn't do me any good. I can't move because I don't know where to go and I'm in the process of getting my diploma so moving will probably be an option in a year or two. In the meantime I'd like to start focusing on fitness and reading more often but if ya'll can shoot me some advice that would be great.
Hello! I think it’s a good thing that you’re making forward progress. I’ve had similar experience with changing my life and many others on here do as well. I get the feeling of loneliness sometimes since I don’t have a lot of support. I think you’re on the right track with your life. How I started my personal journey was through a non-denominational Church. Doing personal bible studies, prayer, and changing my choice of music also helped. We’re always here for support! God bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Since you’re posting here, I assume you’re in college. Most colleges have Christian fellowships. You might feel more comfortable with them than with a generic church. On most campuses there are a variety of groups, depending upon your doctrinal preferences.

• Useful
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

anne97

Nov 28, 2018
South Holland
✟9,614.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I know how you feel. I also don't have any christian friends. I feel quite uncomfortable in church because I've been away for about 8 years. Luckily the internet is a great place to make new friends! Just know that you are never alone :)

Upvote 0