SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
I agree about minors, but that's already covered under existing law.

Freedom of religion allows people to act on beliefs that we disagree with or consider harmful. Otherwise it's meaningless. The way this law tries to be constitutional is by banning false advertising. It appears to be false advertising to claim to change orientation. But not necessarily behavior. We may both think that changing behavior is harmful, but the Constitution doesn't permit us to make it illegal for consenting adults. This may be a difference between the US and UK.
Snake handling despite being a religious practice is still illegal

Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Yes, Silver Bear, but I believe California has been hit by many disasters within a relatively short period. And there could be a lot more in the pipeline. The miscreants need to wise up, and learn that God is not mocked. And yes, I remember about the tower of Siloam.

You should learn from Perkins mistakes.

Actually if you look it up when it comes to natural by state California is about in the middle of list of states.

The order will vary depending on who is compiling the list but Texas, Alaska and Kentucky are not only very conservative, they are consistently the states with the most natural disasters.

Reactions: Christie insb
Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
My point being that any "Abandonment" stat would include
gay men leaving their marriage.

Pause for a moment and consider. if we accept that parental divorce and father abandonment had any influence on sexual orientation then we would see statistically significant increases in a few key groups.
Men born just before WWII for example. Millions of boys were deprived of fathers by the war. Do we see more homosexual men who would today be in their 70's? No.
If abandonment were a factor in homosexuality we would currently see an increase in homosexuality among African Americans. But we don't see that at all.
If parental divorce has anything to do with homosexuality then there would have been a dramatic rise in the number of homosexuals over the last 50 years. There has not been.

Parental divorce and father abandonment don't influence sexual orientation. Maybe you would like to examine one of the other causes of homosexuality that Black points out - witchcraft.

Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
I agree about minors, but that's already covered under existing law.

Freedom of religion allows people to act on beliefs that we disagree with or consider harmful. Otherwise it's meaningless. The way this law tries to be constitutional is by banning false advertising. It appears to be false advertising to claim to change orientation. But not necessarily behavior. We may both think that changing behavior is harmful, but the Constitution doesn't permit us to make it illegal for consenting adults. This may be a difference between the US and UK.

I forgot to mention that the California law protecting minors from reparative or conversion therapies only apply to medical and mental health professionals or people billing themselves as such. Minors are not protected from this sort of abuse when done through religion

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I forgot to mention that the California law protecting minors from reparative or conversion therapies only apply to medical and mental health professionals or people billing themselves as such. Minors are not protected from this sort of abuse when done through religion
I would be willing to support a change. But the law would need to be very narrow to avoid infringing free exercise. It might prove impossible to write.

Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
I would be willing to support a change. But the law would need to be very narrow to avoid infringing free exercise. It might prove impossible to write.
I understand the importance of free exercise and i am usually right at the forefront defending that. I would be doing that here is I thought the people who run these programs and sell this snake oil had the best interest of these kids and these adults at heart. But i don't. I've met far to many victims of this "therapy"
The right to free exercise ends when it infringes on the rights of others, when it causes harm.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Pause for a moment and consider. if we accept that parental divorce and father abandonment had any influence on sexual orientation then we would see statistically significant increases in a few key groups.
Men born just before WWII for example. Millions of boys were deprived of fathers by the war. Do we see more homosexual men who would today be in their 70's? No.
If abandonment were a factor in homosexuality we would currently see an increase in homosexuality among African Americans. But we don't see that at all.
If parental divorce has anything to do with homosexuality then there would have been a dramatic rise in the number of homosexuals over the last 50 years. There has not been.

Parental divorce and father abandonment don't influence sexual orientation. Maybe you would like to examine one of the other causes of homosexuality that Black points out - witchcraft.
My point being that any "Abandonment" stat would include
gay men leaving their marriage. So rather than abandonment
leading to homosexuality, abandonment may be the result of
a gay man leaving his wife that he was not committed to.
Gay people want children, as others do.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You should learn from Perkins mistakes.
Actually if you look it up when it comes to natural by state California is about in the middle of list of states.The order will vary depending on who is compiling the list but Texas, Alaska and Kentucky are not only very conservative, they are consistently the states with the most natural disasters.

blogger-image--1454242550.jpg

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟818,915.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Is this an exaggeration? Not according to what the bill proposes:"

Anyone who actually reads the Bill knows that nothing in it bans the Bible in any way, so in short, YES, IT IS AN EXAGGERATION.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

creslaw

Site Supporter
Oct 20, 2015
✟171,835.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
https://godfatherpolitics.com/new-california-bill-would-mean-banning-the-bible/

"The bill in question is California Assembly Bill 2943. It would treat as a criminal violation of the state’s consumer fraud act “the sale or lease of goods or services to any consumer” that consists of “advertising, offering to engage in, or engaging in sexual orientation change efforts with an individual.” Don’t be misled into thinking that this bill bans only professional counselors from trying to alter same-sex attractions. It goes well beyond that.

The new law would outlaw anything that states that same-sex sexuality is not innate. It would deny anyone from saying or counseling that people choose their sexual actions. This would include counseling someone who wants to leave the same-sex lifestyle or offering them literature to that effect.

Is this an exaggeration? Not according to what the bill proposes:"

This would be outrageous!
I wonder how this would affect "Faithful Counseling" which is promoted by Christian Forums. FC uses licensed therapists and charge for their online services.
Part of their Statement of Faith says:
We believe that the Bible is the word of God, a collection of divinely-inspired writings that have been preserved for each generation, inspired by the Holy Spirit, and the only authoritative and infallible rule of Christian faith and practice.

Upvote 0

kiwimac

Bishop of the See of Aotearoa ROCCNZ;Theologian
Site Supporter
May 14, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
✟591,618.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Preventing adolescents from accessing help to bring aberrant sexual urges into line with their social & religious goals is child abuse.

Homosexuality is a normal part of the human sexual continuum. It is not aberrant.

• Agree
Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0

creslaw

Site Supporter
Oct 20, 2015
✟171,835.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Homosexuality is a normal part of the human sexual continuum. It is not aberrant.
According to the guidelines for this forum "discussion and debate about the morality of homosexuality or same-sex marriage is not allowed. Promotion of homosexuality and same-sex marriage is not allowed."

The issue raised was not whether homosexuality is "normal" (it is not - Romans 1:26-27) but whether adolescents should be prevented from seeking help from therapists such as Faithful Counselling which is promoted by Christian Forums.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
According to the guidelines for this forum "discussion and debate about the morality of homosexuality or same-sex marriage is not allowed. Promotion of homosexuality and same-sex marriage is not allowed."

The issue raised was not whether homosexuality is "normal" (it is not - Romans 1:26-27) but whether adolescents should be prevented from seeking help from therapists such as Faithful Counselling which is promoted by Christian Forums.
if that is it issue them maybe you should not have applied a moral judgment in post #111

Reactions: kiwimac
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Praying for a flood to wipe out commie fornia and all the gays.

And this is a perfect example of why I'm not an evangelical Christian. I have too much of a conscience to wish death upon people whose sexual orientation and lifestyle are different from my own.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I wonder how this would affect "Faithful Counseling" which is promoted by Christian Forums. FC uses licensed therapists and charge for their online services.
Part of their Statement of Faith says:
We believe that the Bible is the word of God, a collection of divinely-inspired writings that have been preserved for each generation, inspired by the Holy Spirit, and the only authoritative and infallible rule of Christian faith and practice.
Hard to say. There's nothing obviously wrong with their web site. Do they advertise changing people's sexual orientation?

Upvote 0