Puyallup
✟9,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey there! I've been a Christian for 25 years, and have learned a few things along the way. I am by no means an expert and would never claim that the knowledge/wisdom I have came from me - it's straight from the Bible and revelation of the Holy Spirit. This will be my first mini-essay on stuff that new believers need to know.

GUILT and SHAME

Many new believers, and not so new believers, struggle with guilt and shame. They do something sinful and it eats them up inside. You need to know that this is not now, nor has it ever, been God's desire. This is honestly one of the strategies of the enemy to derail your progress, get you distracted, and keep you from being used effectively by God.

Think about it - can you change anything you've done? Can you go back and undo anything? Take back words you said? Nope. You can make amends with people you've wronged, but you can't undo anything.

Satan is always focused on the past. He's focused on his own past, furious for being ejected from Heaven for his wrong, and wanting to take down as many of God's children as he can. He also will do everything he can to keep you focused on your own past. He wants you focused on your past sins, mistakes & regrets, and he also wants you focused on wrongs that have been done to you. None of this you can change - all the guilt in the world won't change one thing about any of it. The enemy's voice in these situations is condemnation.

Does God want us to feel guilty? No, and here are some reason why I say this. Jesus told a number of parables that relate to people losing their way or getting off track. The parable of the lost sheep is in Matthew 18:12-14 and the parable of the prodigal son is in Luke 15:11–32. If guilt and shame are things you struggle with, I encourage you to read and pray through these.

When the sheep wandered off willingly, the Good Shepherd left the 99 sheep who didn't wander off to find the one that did. When He found the sheep he rejoiced and brought it back. Notice what Jesus didn't say the Shepherd did - he didn't mention anything about the Shepherd being angry or punishing the sheep. The Good Shepherd was only joyful to get the sheep back.

The parable of the Prodigal Son is even more instructive. This Father had two sons. The youngest asked for his share of the inheritance so he could go and find his way. There are two reasons why this request was truly scandalous. First, by asking for his share of the inheritance he was essentially telling the Father he couldn't wait for him to die. A pastor once asked people who lived in and around Israel what they thought of the sons request, and the unanimous response is that the son deserved death for disrespecting his father that way. The other problem with the request is that in Jewish culture the inheritance passes down to the eldest son who chooses how it will be distributed.

The son leaves after disrespecting his Father and brother, wastes the money doing wrong, and then slinks back to the Father's house. What does the Father do when He sees the son? He throws off all dignity and runs down the path to embrace the son. He then orders that there be a feast thrown to celebrate that the lost son has returned. Notice that there's no indication that the Father yelled at or criticized the son for what he did - there was only Joy.

Our God is focused on the future. He's not concerned about the past - I believe, because He knows we cant do anything about it. He's only wanting us to move forward and do right. God's voice in these situations is conviction. It's a call to do right from now on, to rise up and be our best self.

Paul says that he doesn't look back but runs the race looking forward. Jesus consistently told people to go and sin no more. When he spoke with the woman who was caught in adultery (she was caught actually in bed, in the act) he didn't verbally beat her up for her actions, but said she should go and sin no more.

If you're caught in guilt, shame, and condemnation please be free. Embrace the grace of God and set yourself to do right from now on. Know that you will sin again, and you just need to ask forgiveness and move forward.

God bless you.

Last edited:

YesMe

Aug 18, 2016
Earth
✟29,560.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Beautiful words :) thanks!! One thing I want to say more, if you sin and you are aware of your sin, you must ask God's forgiveness from all your heart, true repentance.I do believe this is the only way God can forgive our sins through the blood of Jesus, this is my humble opinion.

• Agree
Reactions: tonemonkey
Upvote 0

tonemonkey

Sep 27, 2017
Puyallup
✟9,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Beautiful words :) thanks!! One thing I want to say more, if you sin and you are aware of your sin, you must ask God's forgiveness from all your heart, true repentance.I do believe this is the only way God can forgive our sins through the blood of Jesus, this is my humble opinion.
Agreed. Don't forget, though, that when Peter asked Jesus how many times we should forgive someone Jesus said seventy times seven. This indicates that we should always forgive anybody for anything if they really mean it. Forgiveness isn't conditional on change - Jesus died for all of us before we ever had a chance to sin.

I only say this so that nobody stresses out over if they've asked forgiveness and has sinned again. Sin doesn't disqualify you or remove your salvation - it's one and done. Sin damages your relationship with Jesus, but that is healed through forgiveness.

Upvote 0

Drick

Aug 22, 2017
Alabama
✟18,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I can relate, though sins I commit now don't bother me so much as things I've done before, and things I've seen before. The idea that I'm going to have to carry many terrible secrets to my grave with me, only to be rightfully accused come judgement day, adds a depressing weight to my heart.

Luckily, I know now that when I am accused, I'll have a savior at my side that will relieve my heart of its many burdens, and justify me by the authority of Christ's actions. It doesn't ease my pain now, but it gives me something to forward to, and that's the greatest gift I need.

Upvote 0

tonemonkey

Sep 27, 2017
Puyallup
✟9,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can relate, though sins I commit now don't bother me so much as things I've done before, and things I've seen before. The idea that I'm going to have to carry many terrible secrets to my grave with me, only to be rightfully accused come judgement day, adds a depressing weight to my heart.

Luckily, I know now that when I am accused, I'll have a savior at my side that will relieve my heart of its many burdens, and justify me by the authority of Christ's actions. It doesn't ease my pain now, but it gives me something to forward to, and that's the greatest gift I need.
Be at peace and not depressed about what you've done in the past. If you're carrying terrible secrets then confess them to someone you love and trust. Maybe see a Christian counselor to talk about those things. Remember that you've been washed white as snow. Your filthy rags have been taken and replaced with clean white robes.

We will have to give account for the things we have done, but those things aren't going to affect what happens after that moment. Compare the brief time to eternity!

Upvote 0

tonemonkey

Sep 27, 2017
Puyallup
✟9,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@tonemonkey ..... "None of this you can change - all the guilt in the world won't change one thing about any of it. His voice in these situations is condemnation."

Hello? Is that what you meant to write?
I should be more clear, because I can see how it would be confusing. Satan's voice in these situations is condemnation. I'll fix the original post. Thanks!

And, done!

Last edited:
Upvote 0