• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

New Believer Bible Study help.

Discussion in 'For New Christians' started by BenjamintheWolf, Oct 8, 2017.

1. BenjamintheWolf

BenjamintheWolf New Member

+32
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    When Jesus found me a Year Ago I begain looking all around for someone who could tell me which parts of the bible I should study first. After some respectable dedication to study I'm blessed to be able to offer some guidance for those in the same situation. I think everyone should read the entire bible as a lifestyle but this order should fast track some to foundational concepts and help them achieve wisdom.

You're not skipping parts just forming a base.
    Here Goes:

Genesis
    Matthew
    Exodus
    Mark
    Numbers
    Luke
    John
    Deuteronomy
    Joshua
    John again
    Acts
    Judges
    John again
    Acts Again
    Exodus again
    Samuel 1 (most entertaining book for those who already had a reading habit when called)
    Samuel 2
    Job
    John again
    Jonah
    John again
    Acts Again
    Romans
    Corinthians1
    Corinthians2
    John Again
    Ephesians
    Collosians
    Timothy1
    Timothy2
    Acts Again
    Romans Again
    Corinthians1 Again
    Corinthians2 Again
    Hebrews
    Peter1
    Peter2
    John Again
    Acts Again
    1 John
    2 John
    3 John
    Genesis Again
    Matthew Again
    Exodus Again
    Mark Again
    Kings1 again
    Kings2 again
    John Again
    Acts Again
    Romans Again
    Corinthians1 again
    Corinthians2 again
    Joshua Again
    Acts Again
    Hebrews Again
    Ephesians Again
    John Again
    Revelation

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Haipule

Haipule Well-Known Member

+423
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I repeat: John again :)

One of THEE most unique books!

3. YHWH_will_uplift

YHWH_will_uplift Well-Known Member Supporter

+301
    Messianic
    Married
    Why this way as opposed to reading it in the order of the narrative? I happened to find this order better as the narrative flows better:

Genesis
    Job
    Exodus
    Leviticus
    Numbers
    Deuteronomy
    Joshua
    Judges
    Ruth
    1 Samuel
    2 Samuel
    1 Kings
    2 Kings
    Psalms
    Proverbs
    Ecclesiastes
    Song of Solomon
    Hosea
    Joel
    Amos
    Obadaiah
    Jonah
    Micah
    Nahum
    Habakkuk
    Zephaniah
    Haggai
    Isaiah
    Jeremiah
    Lamentations
    Ezekiel
    Daniel
    1 Chronicles
    2 Chronicles
    Ezra
    Nehemiah
    Esther
    Zechariah
    Malachi

Otherwise I would leave the new testament in its current order.

4. BenjamintheWolf

BenjamintheWolf New Member

+32
    United States
    Christian
    Single

5. 1watchman

1watchman Overseer Supporter

+728
    Christian
    Married
    Considering the need is important in Bible reading:

SALVATION OF THE SOUL FOR ETERNITY & BECOMING A TRUE "CHILD OF GOD" --first read gospel of John prayerfully, then the epistle to the Romans as high priority;

FULL UNDERSTANDING OF CHRISTIANITY ---read all of the Gospels, then Acts, then the Epistles;

KNOWING THE MIND AND WAYS OF GOD FOR MANKIND ---as alternate reading in New Testament and the Old Testament each week, and in order as given in God's Holy Word.
    Pray much to God-the Father in Jesus' name.

6. discipler7

discipler7 Well-Known Member

+315
    Heard Island And Mcdonald Islands
    Christian
    Single
    Also, use a Study Bible, eg .......

millionBC to
    4001BC = dinosaurs on an old earth.(GENESIS.1:1-2 = Gap theory)
    4000BC = Adam & Eve on a "new" earth.
    2100BC = Abraham.
    1800BC = Job.
    1400BC = Moses and the Law; birth of the Jewish nation.
    500BC = the sinning Jewish nation came under foreign rule.
    0BC = birth of Jesus the Christ/Messiah/Savior.
    30AD = rejection by the Jews.
    33AD = Jesus crucified through false accusations by the Jews.
    70AD = the destruction of the Jewish Holy Temple of God in Jerusalem.(LUKE.21:20, MATT.24:15)

7. ToBeLoved

ToBeLoved Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,961
    Non-Denom
    Private
    I must say I don't understand how you guys are recommending this and then not even sharing the 'why' of why your list is right.

I think if Romans is not in the top 5, there is no list that would even seem to be correct. Without Romans we do not understand exactly what Christ did for us and how that is translated to us through what He did.

I would add the gospel of John needs to be Top 5 too.

I would like the people that gave books to explain their Top 5.

8. Paidiske

Paidiske Bodily member Staff Member Supervisor Supporter

+9,346
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    I'd actually come at it from a completely different angle. I'd say read with others to start with; whether that's a Bible study or at church or whatever. So if your church is doing a series on a book, start with that.

We aren't meant to be in this on our own, and reading and learning in community will benefit us much more than treating it as something we have to do by ourselves.

9. ViaCrucis

ViaCrucis Evangelical Catholic of the Augsburg Confession

+13,086
    United States
    Lutheran
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    I usually recommend the following to people who are interested in reading the Bible, often for the first time:

Begin with either Mark or Luke. A case could be made for either, but I personally recommend Luke because I think secondly one should read the Acts of the Apostles, since Luke-Acts is a two-part work by one author this makes the transition rather seamless. Then, after the Acts, read Romans.

And here's why I recommend this order of Luke, Acts, and Romans:

Luke gives us the Jesus story, and that's obvious the most important thing. It's the Gospel story and thus the heart and soul of Christianity.

Acts continues where Luke leaves off, and tells us the story of the Church from its nascent beginnings as it begins to spread across the Roman world, it also introduces us to the most prolific writer of the New Testament, St. Paul the Apostle.

That is when we can look to St. Paul's letter to the Church in Rome, which is a masterpiece of Christian theology that builds, layer by layer, a massive argument that includes the universal problem of sin and death, and the salvation that is in Jesus for all people.

After this, I think one can branch out more freeform, the Psalms would be a good choice. Perhaps one could also go back and read another Gospel, like Mark (Matthew maybe, but Matthew assumes his readers are familiar with the Old Testament; and I wouldn't recommend John yet as it's a fairly theologically dense text). Perhaps some of Paul's other letters. Though the best thing I think would be to get involved in a church so one can be hearing the word regularly, and in a teaching course at said church, like a catechetical or introductory course (most mainstream churches have these available for those investigating Christianity or relatively new to the faith). Ultimately the Bible is meant to be read in the context of community; private reading is good, but to get the most out of Scripture it is to be experienced as part of a believing, confessing, worshiping community--as the Bible is, historically speaking, a liturgical text.

-CryptoLutheran

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. 1watchman

1watchman Overseer Supporter

+728
    Christian
    Married
    It seems reasonable to get input from others who know the Bible, and others who know and live daily for God with trust and are devoted to the Lord Jesus ---God's "beloved Son". Some can often help one with the Gospel and some study, but not all who attend church and profess Christianity are real "born again" believers, we can easily see.

Personal readings and much prayer to God to lead and keep one is important ---would you also say? I always recommend one start reading the Bible by knowing salvation (John 1; John 3; John 14; etc.), then begin alternate reading the NT and OT each day or week in much prayer. Romans, Acts, and the Epistles, are important to appreciate Christianity, and the Old Testament will show Creation, God's dealing with mankind, history of the covenant people of Israel up to the coming of their Messiah and our Lord. There is no substitute for a personal trust in God to teach us as we read His Word, I believe.

11. Radagast

Radagast has left CF

+4,387
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    I would tend to agree.

12. Lissy87

Lissy87 New Member

+3
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    I began studying the bible 2 years ago. I simply read it through, cover to cover. I now just continue to read through daily, for 3 - 4 hours. I do not worry about which parts I am reading or studying. I then spend an hour or so reflecting on that which I have read. I then pray to the Lord for him to further help me understand.

13. faroukfarouk

faroukfarouk Fading curmudgeon

+15,053
    Non-Denom
    Married
    This is truly wonderful. My wife and I like to read a balance of Old and New Testament passages. The panorama of God's revelation in His Word, in the Person and Work of the Lord Jesus is amazing.