New Barna Group Study Suggests Christians May Disagree With But Do Not Hate LGBTQ People

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I personally will disagree and will argue with them here to such an extreme it may seem like hate to them, but it is not.

Sometimes people go to extremes like that out of love, and not letting them get away with deceiving themselves, sometimes takes some doing that may seem harsh, and I think they hate that, so may see our end as hate and in turn a justifiable way to discount what some tell them.

IOW, "they are just hateful/prejudice people, nothing more to it, so we can't believe or take what they say seriously" or justification for hanging on to their denial. And that's not to say that's always the attitude but IMO, one place the "hate" accusation comes from.

Upvote 0

Christie insb

Sep 3, 2015
Santa Barbara, California
✟60,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I personally will disagree and will argue with them here to such an extreme it may seem like hate to them, but it is not.

Sometimes people go to extremes like that out of love, and not letting them get away with deceiving themselves, sometimes takes some doing that may seem harsh, and I think they hate that, so may see our end as hate and in turn a justifiable way to discount what some tell them.

IOW, "they are just hateful/prejudice people, nothing more to it, so we can't believe or take what they say seriously"
This takes care and stamina. People don't believe you love them unless you have a personal relationship with them. There has been a lot of pain about religion in the LGBT community, and we have to go out of our way to show that we love them. (And I think loving a group as a whole doesn't mean much. We have to be God with skin on to this community, and I believe that means one person at a time).

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This takes care and stamina. People don't believe you love them unless you have a personal relationship with them. There has been a lot of pain about religion in the LGBT community, and we have to go out of our way to show that we love them. (And I think loving a group as a whole doesn't mean much. We have to be God with skin on to this community, and I believe that means one person at a time).

I agree, but I also feel a combination might be necessary at times, or even just tough love. A no holds barred truth, plus a more patient approach, and they get that mix here often.

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

tansy

Jan 12, 2008
✟35,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Yes, and that applies to anyone, not just gay/transgender people etc. Each person is an individual...I know someone who is bi-sexual, who has had an absolutely dreadful life, awful childhood, was married to someone who beat her up and so on and now has some mental health problems. One can't just go wading in with people who are in a fragile state. I just wish we had the wisdom and absolute love of Jesus , like when He was on earth, knew exactly how to approach and what to say to each person He came across. I would love to know how He would be with some people. I the meantime, we can make things quite often a lot worse if we don't take great care

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,928,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I just wish we had the wisdom and absolute love of Jesus, like when He was on earth, knew exactly how to approach and what to say to each person He came across. I would love to know how He would be with some people.

Hi Tansy, I know exactly what you're saying, but what do we to with passages like this one then?

John 14
12 Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do, he will do also; and greater works than these he will do; because I go to the Father.
13 Whatever you ask in My name, that will I do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
14 If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it.
St. Paul tells us that, unlike natural men and women, Christians are indwelt and taught by the Holy Spirit. He also tells us that we have been given the mind of Christ .. 1 Corinthians 2:12-16, so what are we missing? What should we be doing differently do you think?

Thanks!

Yours and His,
David

1 Corinthians 2
12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may know the things freely given to us by God,
13 which things we also speak, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, combining spiritual thoughts with spiritual words.
14 But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised.
15 But he who is spiritual appraises all things, yet he himself is appraised by no one.
16 For WHO HAS KNOWN THE MIND OF THE LORD, THAT HE WILL INSTRUCT HIM? But we have the mind of Christ.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't understand why that's shocking...disagreeing with anyone about anything doesn't automatically mean that one hates them. I should think it was obvious.
You have over 6,000 posts. I'm sure you have read some of the propaganda on the liberal threads that Christians hate gays, ignore the poor and focus "too much" on morals and the Bible.

All seem to be wrapped up in this straw man.

Upvote 0

tansy

Jan 12, 2008
✟35,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Tansy, I know exactly what you're saying, but what do we to with passages like this one then?

John 14
12 Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do, he will do also; and greater works than these he will do; because I go to the Father.
13 Whatever you ask in My name, that will I do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
14 If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it.
St. Paul tells us that, unlike "natural" men and women, Christians are indwelt and taught by the Holy Spirit, and that we have been given the mind of Christ .. 1 Corinthians 2:12-16, so what are we missing? What should we be doing differently do you think?

Thanks!

Yours and His,
David

1 Corinthians 2
12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may know the things freely given to us by God,
13 which things we also speak, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, combining spiritual thoughts with spiritual words.
14 But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised.
15 But he who is spiritual appraises all things, yet he himself is appraised by no one.
16 For WHO HAS KNOWN THE MIND OF THE LORD, THAT HE WILL INSTRUCT HIM? But we have the mind of Christ.

Have to reply tomo or nxt day Mouse needs new batteries...keeps not typin :(

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,928,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry that your friend has experienced this kind of treatment from the fundies out there :( Fortunately, churches and "Christians" (like the Westboro Baptist "Church" and their members), are hardly the majority.

In fact, I don't believe they could even rightly be called a Christian "minority" (as there are so few of them), but they are certainly "loud".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I passed this on to my best friend who has often been at the receiving end of what some call "disagreement"

He responded: "Sadly, I think most of fundies really do think they are not acting in a hateful manner. I also think that if they were treated the same way they treat gays, both individually and as a group, they would be calling it hate and not disagreement."
What does "Fundie" mean to you or your friend?

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
I'm sorry that your friend has experienced this kind of treatment from the fundies out there :( Fortunately, churches and "Christians" (like the Westboro Baptist "Church" and their members), are hardly the majority.

In fact, I don't believe they could even rightly be called a Christian "minority" (as there are so few of them), but they are certainly "loud".

it isn't fringe groups or churches like Westboro that he is talking about. He is talking about mainstream conservative Christians.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
However, the Gay community and opportunistic liberal politicians will nevertheless insist that you DO hate Gay and Trans people regardless of what you think.
The thing is that this "disagreeing" is indistinguishable from hate.

Imagine for a moment you were on the receiving end of the "disagreement" leveled at gays and lesbians and ask yourself just how does it feel.

Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The thing is that this "disagreeing" is indistinguishable from hate.
My point was that it isn't. It also was that the PC Left uses the word hate against anyone who will not knuckle under to their demands. This verbal overkill is just a tactic, and needs to be recognized as such. That's like calling everyone else a Fascist when it is their own streetfighters who are behaving like the Fascists, and accusing anyone who is white but not an extremist of being, therefore, a white nationalist, white supremacist, or white privilege advocate.

Last edited:
Upvote 0