✟483,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In age of Trump, evangelicals back self-styled top U.S. pimp

PAHRUMP, Nev. (Reuters) - He styles himself as America’s best-known pimp, a strip-club owner who runs multiple brothels and looks set to win a seat as a Republican in the Nevada legislature with the blessing of many conservative Christian voters.

Meet Dennis Hof, whose political rise reflects fundamental changes in electoral norms that have roiled the Republican Party and upended American politics during the era of President Donald Trump.

“This really is the Trump movement,” Hof, 71, told Reuters in an interview at Moonlite BunnyRanch, his brothel near Carson City in northern Nevada that was featured on the HBO reality television series “Cathouse.”

“People will set aside for a moment their moral beliefs, their religious beliefs, to get somebody that is honest in office,” he said. “Trump is the trailblazer, he is the Christopher Columbus of honest politics.”

When news broke that Hof had won the nominating contest for a state Assembly seat on June 12, evangelical pastor Victor Fuentes said he closed his eyes and prayed.

He did not ask God to deliver Nevada and the Republican Party from Hof, the thrice-divorced author of “The Art of the Pimp” who campaigned as the “Trump of Pahrump.” Although Christian groups have long rallied against the state’s legal brothel industry, Fuentes was willing to overlook Hof’s history as a champion of the flesh trade and gave thanks for his victory.

“People want to know how an evangelical can support a self-proclaimed pimp,” Fuentes said in an interview at his home in Pahrump, an unincorporated town of 36,000 people that is the largest community in the sprawling, rural district where Hof is favored to win in November’s general election.

He said the reason was simple. “We have politicians, they might speak good words, not sleep with prostitutes, be a good neighbor. But by their decisions, they have evil in their heart. Dennis Hof is not like that.”

The pastor said he felt Hof would protect religious rights, among other things.

In Hof’s Republican-leaning district, seven evangelicals said they voted for him because they believed that he, who like Trump is a wealthy businessman and political outsider, would also clean up politics and not be beholden to special-interest groups and their money.

“I’m kind of rich, I’m kind of famous, and I’m surrounded by hot chicks. I don’t give a damn what anybody says about me,” Hof said.

The source of Hof’s wealth - he owns a strip club and five legal brothels - did not deter his supporters.

Nor did the allegations by several women that Hof sexually abused them. Hof denied the accusations, including a former sex worker’s claim that he raped and choked her several years ago, and the voters interviewed by Reuters dismissed them as lies.
Hof was reluctant to discuss his own Christian faith.

“I don’t share my beliefs with the public,” he said. “I don’t feel the need to go to church on a regular basis.”

LOSING FAITH IN ESTABLISHMENT
For decades, evangelical voters have been a pillar of the Republican Party in the United States, using grassroots muscle to turn out votes and engage in political battles over hot-button social issues such as abortion and same-sex marriage.

But in recent years, many conservative Christians have lost trust in establishment Republicans, whom they accuse of not fighting for values they feel are under attack in modern America.

For them, Trump symbolizes a new breed of politician who is willing to upend long-held political norms — a quality they say outweighs any real or perceived moral flaws.

“It’s more important for evangelical voters that Trump is fighting for an idealized, white Christian, conservative America,” said Dan Cox, research director at the Public Religion Research Institute, a nonpartisan organization that researches the intersection of religion, culture and public policy. “Tribal values now supersede personal morality as an animating force.”

Convinced Trump would go to bat for them, a majority of evangelicals looked past the Republican’s two divorces and allegations of marital infidelity to provide him key votes in the 2016 presidential election.

Their support remains robust: 71 percent of white evangelical voters said they approved of Trump’s job performance, according to the nationwide Reuters/Ipsos poll conducted online from June 1-18, compared with 43 percent of U.S. registered voters overall.

TRUMP THE TORCHBEARER
Hof beat a three-term incumbent legislator even as party activists pushed to get Hof’s legal brothels shut down. Voters in Lyon County, where he operates four of his brothels, will be asked in November if they want the businesses closed.

Brothels have been permitted in parts of Nevada since the 1800s and were first licensed in the 1970s. They are not permitted in highly populated areas, including the counties containing the cities of Las Vegas and Reno.
[continued in]
In age of Trump, evangelicals back self-styled top U.S. pimp

Last edited:

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The Republican party is not a Christian party. It always has had supporters that do not have the same values. Given that we have a winner-take-all system, Christians forming their own party would probably fail. Thus, Christians are left with selecting the party that most closely represents them and their priorities. To most that is the Republican party, even in spite of people like the brothel owner. Trump's choices on the Supreme Court are enough for me to support him and the GOP. The alternative would be miserable for religious freedom, free speech, 2nd amendment rights, just to name a few things.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, this doesn't surprise me that conservative evangelical Christians would support a strip club owner and brothel owner since they support Trump, a serial adulterous philander. It's become obvious to me that their conservative political agenda is much more important to them than keeping to their Christian faith and moral convictions. This is one reason why I no longer take them seriously or listen to their ranting on about their alleged moral convictions against homosexuals or their ranting on about liberals for that matter. This is also the reason why I tell off any evangelical conservative Trump supporter who tries to evangelize and proselytize me. I have no respect whatsoever for any Christian who politically supports Trump or supports a strip club owner because the man is a Republican Trump supporter. I think that's a terrible witness for the Christian faith and destroys their reputation, IMO.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The alternative would be miserable for religious freedom, free speech, 2nd amendment rights, just to name a few things.

That's a steep accusation. Do you have any reliable examples or sources to validate your accusation?

Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
ON free speech: Why do many liberal campuses disallow conservative speakers? See also Progressives’ anti-free speech itch
As to the freedom of religion, many liberals want to be free from religion, not freedom of religion. This Economist tagline reads "Thirty years ago, progressives embraced religious exemptions. No longer." Left, right
On the second amendment (3/2018)" WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A retired U.S. Supreme Court justice (Stevens) on Tuesday called for the repeal of the U.S. Constitution’s Second Amendment, which gives Americans the right to keep and bear firearms" Ex-Supreme Court justice urges Second Amendment repeal in U.S. gun...

I have no problem with republicans or democrats that support Christian values. If I were a Nevada voter in that state district, I would consider both candidates and their stands on issues and character. I have no idea who the opponent is of Hof but would probably vote democratic in that race. I doubt Hof will receive much, if any Republican party support. Hof is an embarrassment but he won the primary and is the candidate.

Republicans are not free from fault either. They assisted and expanded the national debt, immigration problems and some have character issues too. Politics is messy, and if given only two realistic candidates and everyone has to decide for themselves or simply not vote.

See also https://nypost.com/2017/03/15/democrats-still-havent-faced-their-god-problem/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
As a Canadian who has watched the USA political and religious scene for several decades I have to marvel at just how thoroughly the political and religious right have been able to demonize the political and religious left. I should add that I see absolutely no good reason for this because an equally good case could be made for demonizing the right. I will go further and say that linking politics to religion does not serve either well and tends to poison any possible discourse between all parties. It is the perfect storm.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What does it say about the democratic challenger when some Christians would choose a pimp as the lesser of two evils?
...the irony in this post is pretty staggering. Here's who he's running against:
About
Born and raised in Nevada, Lesia Romanov has spent her career in education. As an assembly woman, she will focus on promoting education reform, gun safety, and protecting water rights. Lesia Romanov strongly believes that it is time for the people to stand up and be heard in the State of Nevada. She will tirelessly work to represent the wants and the needs of the voters in Nevada.
Lesia Romanov attended school in the Clark County School District and received her Elementary Education degree from UNLV. While at UNLV, she was a mother of a small child and still managed to attend school, serve as the Education Senator at UNLV and take care of her family. Lesia Romanov has been an educator in Clark County for over 19 years. Currently working as an assistant principal, she works with children, parents, and her community to insure that all children receive a quality education, that parent concerns are heard and the community is involved.
Lesia Romanov continued her education and has two Master degrees: Leadership/Supervision and Computer Integration.
Lesia Romanov supports our Second Amendments rights and vows to help implement legislation that currently is on the books that ensures responsible gun ownership. As an educator, she believes that teachers should have the right to be safe in their classrooms and teach students without the added responsibility of school security. This should be a standard provided by the educational systems with highly trained individuals with a knowledge of security protocol.
oh yeah, I can see why a pimp/strip club owner would be a much more Christian choice then her. :sorry:
tulc(is curious to see what Phil 1:21 knows about how evil she is that makes him the lesser of two evils) :wave:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

creslaw

Site Supporter
Oct 20, 2015
✟171,835.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I vote I choose the lesser of two evils. The lesser of two evils is the one who will use his/her political influence to support freedom to practice traditional Christianity. I would rather a bad man that supported this than a good man who opposed it.

• Winner
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I vote I choose the lesser of two evils. The lesser of two evils is the one who will use his/her political influence to support freedom to practice traditional Christianity. I would rather a bad man that supported this than a good man who opposed it.
uhmmm...so you suspect the assistant principal, the one the pimp is running against, is trying to suppress peoples "freedom to practice traditional Christianity."? Do you have evidence to show she wants that? :scratch:
tulc(is trying to understand this) :wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

creslaw

Site Supporter
Oct 20, 2015
✟171,835.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
uhmmm...so you suspect the assistant principal, the one the pimp is running against, is trying to suppress peoples "freedom to practice traditional Christianity."? Do you have evidence to show she wants that? :scratch:
tulc(is trying to understand this) :wave:

Democratic Party platform

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ON free speech: Why do many liberal campuses disallow conservative speakers? See also Progressives’ anti-free speech itch
As to the freedom of religion, many liberals want to be free from religion, not freedom of religion. This Economist tagline reads "Thirty years ago, progressives embraced religious exemptions. No longer." Left, right

The first article you cited is the opinion of George F. Will, who is a conservative. As far as I'm concerned, that article is pointless since he's a conservative giving his opinion on liberals.

On the second amendment (3/2018)" WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A retired U.S. Supreme Court justice (Stevens) on Tuesday called for the repeal of the U.S. Constitution’s Second Amendment, which gives Americans the right to keep and bear firearms" Ex-Supreme Court justice urges Second Amendment repeal in U.S. gun...

I don't think I will ever understand the right wing obsession with guns or the right to own a gun. I think it's morally inconsistent to believe that owning a gun is a right, but having adequate healthcare and an education is a privilege. Sorry, but that doesn't represent a very good Christian witness to me.

I have no problem with republicans or democrats that support Christian values. If I were a Nevada voter in that state district, I would consider both candidates and their stands on issues and character. I have no idea who the opponent is of Hof but would probably vote democratic in that race. I doubt Hof will receive much, if any Republican party support. Hof is an embarrassment but he won the primary and is the candidate.

Republicans are not free from fault either. They assisted and expanded the national debt, immigration problems and some have character issues too. Politics is messy, and if given only two realistic candidates and everyone has to decide for themselves or simply not vote.

See also https://nypost.com/2017/03/15/democrats-still-havent-faced-their-god-problem/

As a liberal Christian myself, I don't support Christian values or principles being promoted in the branches of government. In fact, there shouldn't be any specific religion endorsed by the federal government in the first place and that includes Christianity. Christians in America are not entitled to having their faith or biblical beliefs endorsed in the federal government. Furthermore, Christians in America do not deserve preferential treatment that non-Christian Americans would be denied. The fact of the matter is, the United States of America is not nor has it ever been a Christian nation. I could go into very specific details about that in this thread, but I have already done so in other threads. So, for the sake of time and for the sake of not completely derailing this thread, I will just link to one of my previous posts here to provide those numerous examples of how America is not a Christian nation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As a liberal Christian myself, I don't support Christian values or principles being promoted in the branches of government.
Jesus tells us to love our neighbor as ourselves. Are you opposed to this Christian value being promoted in branches of government? If so, could you explain what the alternative would look like? Thanks.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus tells us to love our neighbor as ourselves. Are you opposed to this Christian value being promoted in branches of government? If so, could you explain what the alternative would look like? Thanks.

I wasn't aware that 'love our neighbor as ourselves' had anything to do with this country's very long history of warmongering or its long history of racism and discrimination against minorities or its long history of discriminating against LGBTQ or the legalized death sentence of unborn children in this country. I'm not quite sure how 'love our neighbor as ourselves' coincides with legalized abortion. I also wasn't aware that the current president and his Republican cronies were even concerned about their neighbors, particularly their neighbors who live south of the border or their neighbors who knelt during the national anthem in protest to the impunity of police brutality against their people.

And for the record... I'm also opposed to evangelical Christianity being endorsed and promoted by the current president, who is doing nothing more than politically pandering to his evangelical supporters.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Jamsie
Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wasn't aware that 'love our neighbor as ourselves' had anything to do with this country's very long history of warmongering or its long history of racism and discrimination against minorities or its long history of discriminating against LGBTQ or the legalized death sentence of unborn children in this country. I'm not quite sure how 'love our neighbor as ourselves' coincides with legalized abortion. I also wasn't aware that the current president and his Republican cronies were even concerned about their neighbors, particularly their neighbors who live south of the border or their neighbors who knelt during the national anthem in protest to the impunity of police brutality against their people.
So if I’m understanding you correctly, you feel those problems are inconsistent with the Christian value of “love your neighbor as yourself”? I agree. So then I’m confused as to why you think such a Christian value shouldn’t be promoted in our government. Wouldn’t doing so theoretically solve the problems you brought up?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Phil 1:21 said:

This is a universal value. Promoting it as a solely Christian value would be wrong but promoting it as a value is just fine by me.

Upvote 0