Visit site
✟33,938.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ok, I'm on a small home network.. LAN.. etc. I have IP's for this. ipconfig spits this out:
C:\>ipconfig

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.187
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Those are my LAN ip's though. The "server" in our house, the one that dials up (yes, it's dialup :angel: ), has this ip: 66.81.74.195

My question is this... how do I connect to MY computer remotely (just a web server), since I have kinda "imbedded" ip's?

jko

Hi
Jul 25, 2002
Rhode Island
✟16,127.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, if I understand your correctly, you want a web server running off from your...... dial up? I wouldn't waste your time. But you obvisouly need a web server aplication, either IIS or Apache. Which are you using?

After you answer that, then we can talk more about your IP question. The correct terms would be private & public IP's. :)

Upvote 0

paulewog

Father of Insanity; Child of Music.
Mar 23, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟33,938.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
right. i'm not much of a networking person. yet ;)

it's not a waste of my time in that I can fiddle with it on my computer, and someone else could access it for a short amount of time. No, I don't have a static ip, I'm not using this as a big website whatsoever... just for tests and stuff, and it's easier to just give someone my IP ;)

IIS4, I think. Not entirely sure what version. :D

Upvote 0

datan

Nov 16, 2002
Visit site
✟6,836.00
Faith
Protestant
not really...as he says, he just needs to give someone his IP address whenever he is online...can be as simple as putting it on his AIM profile.

anywayz, you need to set up the router to forward on port 80 to your own machine. beyond that it should be pretty much transparent.

Upvote 0

paulewog

Father of Insanity; Child of Music.
Mar 23, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟33,938.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
ok, so I've gotta fiddle with the "other" computer, huh? :angel:

Ummm... any idea where this routing business would be located in win2k? I suppose somewhere in the IIS thingies.

And yeah, Datan got it - it'd just for me to say to someone, Hey look at this, waht do you think, etc, without me having to upload everything, transfer the mysql database, etc... :p hehe

Upvote 0

jko

Hi
Jul 25, 2002
Rhode Island
✟16,127.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well if you do have a router, then you need to forward port 80 to your private IP address that the webserver is on. Also, in IIS you need to go to the props of the virtual site and there's a tab where you can specify and IP, set it to the private IP of your webserver.

BTW, you can't have a MySQL database with an out of the box IIS server. It's possibly, but you need to install additional components from other parties.

Upvote 0

datan

Nov 16, 2002
Visit site
✟6,836.00
Faith
Protestant
hm...
before you go about doing the port forwarding stuff, try to see whether you can access your mysql database through your webserver on your local interface (127.0.0.1)

well, loosely speaking, a router is anything that forwards packets at the IP layer, so whatever sits between your dialup and your computer can be considered a router.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

vajradhara

Diamond Thunderbolt of Indestructable Wisdom
Jun 25, 2003
Dharmadhatu
✟19,720.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
also... depending on the OS of both machines and what you need to do, you can setup the terminal service for the Win2K Svr.. you could consider also using the PPTP thing that comes with WinXP (if you have that OS) which will allow you, the user, to permit anybody else's IP to access your machine.

Upvote 0

vajradhara

Jun 25, 2003
Dharmadhatu
✟19,720.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
paulewog said:
- no, both computers are running win2k :)

hmm....

tell you what, i'll check with M$ to see if the emulator is available for free download. they have exported that feature of XP and you can get it if you have an M$DN subscription (which i happen to have ;) )

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

vajradhara

Jun 25, 2003
Dharmadhatu
✟19,720.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
no worries.

M$ released a "component" of the XP OS as a special feature that you an install on your Win2K OS thus giving the same ability as the XP machine to allow outside IP's to access and control the machine. This was distributed in the initial release of TechNet for XP, and therefore, free.

however, it appears that it has been pulled from the subsequent TechNet releases and i have not been able to find it on their site yet.

Upvote 0