Saved by trusting
Nov 16, 2011
Wigan.
✟15,762.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have only recently found (or been found by) God in a personal sense. I don't really have anyone who I can talk to about it. I did have a friend helping me initially but our paths have diverged, and I was probably relying too heavily on his guidance anyway. I am trying to gear myself up to going to this church, where they believe in the gifts of the Holy Spirit and regularly share testimonies and so on ( I say so on, I've really no idea what it entails). I've never been to a place like that before and I'll be on my own, so I'm struggling to get my nerve up. I keep thinking yes, this Sunday we'll go, and then on Saturday I get too nervous at the thought of it and find an excuse not to. Should I? Shouldn't I? My 9yr old son is staying with his Grandfather tonight so I would have the opportunity to go tomorrow and check it out rather than take him with me when I don't know what goes on there. i'm worried they wont want me, or that I don't believe enough, or in the right way. But I'm afraid that if I don't connect with some people who believe in God as a living presence in individual's lives, listening to prayers and answering them and directing people to the best life for them, that my own budding belief will not be able to grow. It is the only church of this sort I have found in my area, but it's not very local. This provides me with a great excuse not to go!

Reactions: Adam Warlock

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Emma, I hope you do go. When I was seeking God, I checked out a pentecostal/charismatic/whatever church, and concluded they were out of their minds. A few years later, when my life imploded and finding God was no longer optional, I ended up joining that church.

Just remember you're there for the Lord. You will meet people you will like, and otherwise. Go at your own pace and don't accept anyone's pressure to believe this or do that if you're not comfortable with it. But if you find the right Body, you're right about your faith being fed in ways that otherwise would not happen.

Upvote 0

Kimmy85

God's love NEVER fails!
Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
✟7,683.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Though our personal relationship with God is very important, our fellowship with our brothers and sisters in Christ is essential as well. :)

"They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer." Acts 2:42

"What good fellowship we once enjoyed as we walked together to the house of God." Psalm 55:14

"Is there any encouragement from belonging to Christ? Any comfort from his love? Any fellowship together in the Spirit? Are your hearts tender and compassionate? Then make me truly happy by agreeing wholeheartedly with each other, loving one another, and working together with one mind and purpose." Philippians 2:1-2

There are more but notice how "each other", "together" and "one another" are used in these verses? :) The church is there for us to come together and grow in one faith in one awesome God.

What's important is you plug yourself in a church that will help you with your walk with God. Who will help guide you, who you'll learn from & will learn from you, who will share tears & laughters with you, pray with you etc....

And don't worry too much about people accepting you or not, most of them have probably been in your shoes before.. (; Take it as your adventure with God.. all you gotta do is hop on the car, He'll do the driving and He'll be with you all through out :)

Let us know how it went! God bless you! :)

Upvote 0

marty-eos

Apr 13, 2010
Scotland
✟15,177.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
I was exactly the same, for about two years! I watched Christian TV (GOD & Revelation), read the Bible but I just didn't feel right talking to anyone about it - specifically my parents. I just didn't know what they think/say/feel about me so going to Church would mean me 'coming out' as it were. So I just continued to keep it private as it were.

Then last month, I just woke up earlier than usual, put my suit on and went downstairs to be asked 'where you going?' Simply replied with 'Church' and then they just told me to enjoy myself. Made me feel so silly for not doing it years ago. :doh:

I felt a little nervous there the first time but at the end got a nice warm welcome from the elders and minister and felt welcome there. The next Sunday did make me really nervous on the Saturday and was thinking of skipping it as it was a Communion service and had no idea what to expect but I arrived early, spoke to the minister about it who explained what would happen during the service and again made me feel very welcome.

You will be welcomed in with open arms and really have nothing to feel nervous about but more importantly you will enjoy it, grow in your faith and meet others who share your faith who will probably live in your street.

It's made me feel much more confident in telling people too, at work I'd always tell my boss/colleagues I don't want to work Sunday's. Today when a colleague asked what I done on Sunday since I was working Saturday I said I went to church then washed the car and he said ah didn't know you went to church/were a Christian. I'd never have had the confidence in doing that before but it really has made such an impact on me in just a few weeks.

God Bless and you are in my prayers. :prayer:

Sorry for the huge post/personal spiel!

Upvote 0

Emma1975

Saved by trusting
Nov 16, 2011
Wigan.
✟15,762.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Sorry for the huge post/personal spiel![/QUOTE]

THANK YOU for the huge post/personal spiel! I'm just going on this forum, and looking at God stuff on youtube, and reading the New Testament. It's only been a short time, since Oct/Nov of this year, so I don't know if I'm getting ahead of myself really. I really appreciate your taking the time there. It's a strange old situation I find myself in, I can't tell you what a relief it is to be able to talk about it without fearing alienating people or being regarded as in the throes of a nervous breakdown/mid life crisis! Thanks for the support, it's a great help. God bless.
Emma.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aibrean

Honest. Maybe too Honest.
Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟15,879.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
More likely than not if a church says they believe in the gifts of the Holy Spirit, they also believe in Speaking in Tongues. They also believe that Speaking in Tongues is a sign you have the Holy Spirit in you, and if you don't speak in tongues, you don't have the holy spirit.

There are some groups who take it to the extreme, requiring that women must not color their hair or cut it, and must wear ankle-length dresses.

Reactions: Adam Warlock
Upvote 0

Emma1975

Saved by trusting
Nov 16, 2011
Wigan.
✟15,762.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
oh right. Well I don't think they're likely to be telling people what to wear and stuff, they seem pretty modern, but I guess I won't know until I go. I'd be surprised to find that though. Probably it'll be nice and friendly, eh? And more about helping people in their walk with God, yes? Actually, Abrean, you've helped me to see that worrying about imagined downsides is quite pointless. As you say Forge3, try it and see. Thanks for your input, all. :)

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
I'm afraid that if I don't connect with some people who believe in God as a living presence in individual's lives, listening to prayers and answering them and directing people to the best life for them, that my own budding belief will not be able to grow.
This is the exact reason I return to Charismatic churches over the years. I really need the strength I gain there -- the prayer support, the faith that others have in God answering, the personal encouragement I find when people try to stay in tune with what God wants them to say.

A low percentage of Charismatic churches put focus on tongues. The insistence tends to come from purist groups like Holiness Pentecostal, and seems to be more prevalent in the southeast US. I have been to over a dozen tongue-speaking congregations that never talked about tongues, but I could hear people nearby muttering quietly to themselves during free worship.

You never know what the attitudes will be until you get there, because individuals create the church experience. You might run into one person who's pushy, and ten people who are genuine and loving.

The error I tend to see more, is such a focus on worship that people get into their own zones, and aren't as assertive about greeting new people. Priorities of interactions lean more toward wellness than recruiting.

I see the biggest difference in narthex talk, and that is important to me:

In recent informal Charismatic conversations (real), friends chatted about downloading Hebrew Bible apps, how God helped them build a home that was prophesied about, how their back felt so much better after prayer.

In contrast, in the non-Charismatic churches, friends tried to talk me into joining the gym they worked at, described their last vacation, talked about their kids' concerts, raved about the Women of Faith conference.

Both provided support and opportunity to minister to each other, but in different ways. I can't say your experience will be the same as anyone else's -- just call it an adventure and do what you believe you need to do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yedida

Ruth Messianic, joining Israel, Na'aseh v'nishma!
Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have only recently found (or been found by) God in a personal sense. I don't really have anyone who I can talk to about it. I did have a friend helping me initially but our paths have diverged, and I was probably relying too heavily on his guidance anyway. I am trying to gear myself up to going to this church, where they believe in the gifts of the Holy Spirit and regularly share testimonies and so on ( I say so on, I've really no idea what it entails). I've never been to a place like that before and I'll be on my own, so I'm struggling to get my nerve up. I keep thinking yes, this Sunday we'll go, and then on Saturday I get too nervous at the thought of it and find an excuse not to. Should I? Shouldn't I? My 9yr old son is staying with his Grandfather tonight so I would have the opportunity to go tomorrow and check it out rather than take him with me when I don't know what goes on there. i'm worried they wont want me, or that I don't believe enough, or in the right way. But I'm afraid that if I don't connect with some people who believe in God as a living presence in individual's lives, listening to prayers and answering them and directing people to the best life for them, that my own budding belief will not be able to grow. It is the only church of this sort I have found in my area, but it's not very local. This provides me with a great excuse not to go!

I don't go to Sunday church but I can relate to where you're at.
When after 10 years of living apart from God I found myself in Messianic Judaism (something I followed to the best of my ability for a year before I knew it had a name and more people following it than me, lol) I wanted to find a congregation (when I found it there were such things) but this was way back when they were few and far between,
But I lucked out to be in an area that had 5 within an hour's driving time. And 3 of those 5 had their teachings online. So I was able to listen and then make a decision where to visit first. When I walked in and sat down, people brought to me the song book they used, and the Siddur and showed me how to use it. I got such a sensation there, I was finally home, not at a place where I was accepted, but at a place where I had been expected and waited for!! (There was no need to look further than the first place!)
I pray you find such a fellowship!

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
But I lucked out to be in an area that had 5 within an hour's driving time. And 3 of those 5 had their teachings online. So I was able to listen and then make a decision where to visit first.
Wow! Unusual...that worked out well.

Emma, Remember that God is with you in this search. He knows what you'd like, what will benefit you, and what each church is like (He has been to them all before, lol).

Upvote 0