• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Nerve Hyperexcitability Disorder

blujon

Dec 30, 2008
✟7,669.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
I havn't, but: In two studies published in 2004 and 2007, researchers from Southampton University suggested that a statistically significant increase in the hyperactivity of children occurred after they consumed common artificial food colours and additives from fruit drinks.[1][2] The list of compounds used in the two studies included a preservative commonly used in beverages, sodium benzoate, and six color additives used in foods: tartrazine, quinoline yellow, sunset yellow, carmoisine and allura red. On the basis of the 2007 report, The UK Food Standards Agency has revised its stance on these additives, informing parents of children that demonstrate hyperactive behaviour that removal of foods containing the six additives from their diet may have beneficial results on behaviour.[3] The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA)

Upvote 0

KScottP

Sep 24, 2017
Florida
✟7,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Has anyone here been diagnosed with a nerve hyperexcitability disorder e.g. Benign/cramp fasciculation syndrome?
Yes, I had BFS first at age 24, just fasciculations. Then it came back again at age 34 with foot stiffness and lasted a lot longer, about 9 months, and went away. The second time I had a lot more symptoms including fasciculations all over the body, stiffness, and exercise intolerance which improved over time. I went to the doctor at first and he did an EMG, MRI, bloodwork and didn't find anything unusual. I had it a third time at age 41, and I am still suffering from it. It started with the twitching and stiffness in the same foot as the previous time, and has generally gotten less in that foot. However, it has spread to my face and I am having fasciculations around the face, lips, head, cheeks, chin, neck. I also have sleeping difficulties especially when the neck and face are twitching. I also feel like my tongue is stiff on and off and like my speech is very slightly off, but everyone I have talked to says they don't notice a difference. I am hoping to find other Christians who are struggling with this to see how they handle the anxiety in a Godly way. I know the textbook answers but there are few people who have actually experienced BFS. I find that it is very hard to not worry about the symptoms becoming something worse, in particular some form of motor neuron disease.

• Friendly
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,276.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes, I had BFS first at age 24, just fasciculations. Then it came back again at age 34 with foot stiffness and lasted a lot longer, about 9 months, and went away. The second time I had a lot more symptoms including fasciculations all over the body, stiffness, and exercise intolerance which improved over time. I went to the doctor at first and he did an EMG, MRI, bloodwork and didn't find anything unusual. I had it a third time at age 41, and I am still suffering from it. It started with the twitching and stiffness in the same foot as the previous time, and has generally gotten less in that foot. However, it has spread to my face and I am having fasciculations around the face, lips, head, cheeks, chin, neck. I also have sleeping difficulties especially when the neck and face are twitching. I also feel like my tongue is stiff on and off and like my speech is very slightly off, but everyone I have talked to says they don't notice a difference. I am hoping to find other Christians who are struggling with this to see how they handle the anxiety in a Godly way. I know the textbook answers but there are few people who have actually experienced BFS. I find that it is very hard to not worry about the symptoms becoming something worse, in particular some form of motor neuron disease.

:heart: My heart goes out to you KScott. Praying for you. Welcome to CF (((hug)))

Upvote 0