west coast
✟75,698.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Can you describe what you mean? Like, family members of the clergy being given particular roles in the church, or something?

Young pastors are usually not allowed to preach, but the pastor's son gets to preach fresh out of seminary kind of thing.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Do you see this happening in your church, and how do you feel about it?
I saw it in a church I used to attend. It imploded a few years after I left. I believe that God calls people to ministry, it is not inherited. That said, Bayless Conley's son preaches a sound and encouraging word (Cottonwood church California). I am also bemused by the instant appointment of spouses to the position of pastor in some denominations.

• Agree
Reactions: ChicanaRose
Upvote 0

ilovejcsog

I am a Christian mutt. You can call me Rox
Jul 23, 2018
Phoenix
✟21,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I saw it in a church I used to attend. It imploded a few years after I left. I believe that God calls people to ministry, it is not inherited. That said, Bayless Conley's son preaches a sound and encouraging word (Cottonwood church California). I am also bemused by the instant appointment of spouses to the position of pastor in some denominations.
I like Bayless Conley I used to watch him on tbn but then he left and he isn't on any of the Christians stations. I didn't know if maybe he wasn't getting enough money to pay for a tv service. I still on occasion give to his ministry. I didn't realize his son was in the ministry. Thanks for mentioning him:)

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I like Bayless Conley I used to watch him on tbn but then he left and he isn't on any of the Christians stations. I didn't know if maybe he wasn't getting enough money to pay for a tv service. I still on occasion give to his ministry. I didn't realize his son was in the ministry. Thanks for mentioning him:)
No problem. They are closing down external offices and going on line. They are doing a lot of evangelism in Europe. I believe Bayless is more evangelist than pastor. It will be good if he gets more freedom to evangelise.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Young pastors are usually not allowed to preach, but the pastor's son gets to preach fresh out of seminary kind of thing.
It depends on the denomination (or non-denom), doesn't it?

In my church it never happens; but with some unaffiliated congregations that were started by a single evangelist (like Jerry Falwell), it is almost to be expected.

Upvote 0

carp614

Apr 21, 2016
Home
✟29,620.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So yeah, I've seen this. My Pastor's whole family is involved in Ministry at our church. The thing is, they all contribute to make it better. So, is it nepotism? Maybe it is technically. Is it hurting the church? Not that I can see.

Honestly, his kids are so talented and so good at ministry that I think the church would suffer if they left. It would be tough to build a worship team better than the one we have now. They are as good as any I have seen.

I find it vaguely troubling. If they were not qualified for what they are doing it would definitely bother me.

Upvote 0