Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you, Ajax, or murjahel, or to whoever did all that research. If we relax our concept of canon and let our imagination rule our beliefs, this is the kind of result.

As I see it, the Enoch corpus is a late development written to fill the gaps and explain Genesis 6 and other passages. Even so, many popular beliefs about angels and demons, many of which were held by the Pharisees, stemmed from a popular acceptance of these.

It may have also worked the other way, where these were the reflection of what was popularly accepted in oral tradition and Hebrew Canon 3000 BC to 300 AD. And adding Bigfoot and others to the mix gives us a 21st Century version of it. Well done!

Jude and others referred to Enoch. I wonder whether this makes something, whether we still have it or not, authentic.

Most scholars think most of Enoch was very late, even Post-Christ. But I appreciate your imagination and your naive acceptance, because it helps to see the larger angelic/demonic cosmology. If the scholarship is not critical it has good company, as our whole religious history did for the most part stem from an equally non-critical approach.

It can be contrasted with the comments of another poster in this thread who repeatedly used the word "myth" with respect to the flood and the giants, etc., while calling on a "scientific" and systematic study of an archeological region. Maybe it's just me but the word "myth" signifies that something has been proven untrue. It comes with a judgment that is "scientific" only if the evidence exists to expose the "myth."

The fair approach, it seems to me, is to accept theory for what it is, theory, and consider the sources.

I will say that the idea that these bad demonic half-breed beasts are on the one hand horrible and on the other hand always in hiding, doesn't seem consistent to me. I'm not a believer in Bigfoot. On the other hand, I do believe in angels and in demons. If they only manifest when people have failed to pray for mercy, otherwise they are confined to the abyss, who knows? Such is theory. It leaves room for the imagination. And much of it could be true. But it isn't canon.

That said, you deserve some credit for the way you treat the question of angels being given in marriage. That they are capable of having sexual relations with humans if they fall, but have no need of any such reproduction in the heavenly eternal will, which is why they can all be males, makes pretty good sense. Kudos and reps.

Well, thanks for your generosity, but this is not my writing,
but that of a close personal friend, whose knowledge
vastly exceeds yours and mine put together.

Also, this is not a doctrinal discussion, but an expository and historical one,
so your arguments seem half-baked, at best. As you said, it leaves room for speculation,
but you want to pass off every other opinion save your own as "naive."

It surely makes your intent appear dubious, and not favorable.

I could take the same approach to departure from canon when addressing
how many "church fathers" you follow or how many "saints" you worship or pray to.
After all, canon says to pray to no one other than YHWH in YSHA's name,
yet you likely pray to many others, do you not?

Can you canonically justify that?

So let us not speak of each other's naivete,
because the wisdom that comes from above
is first of all pure, then peaceable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
If we relax our concept of canon and let our imagination rule our beliefs, this is the kind of result.

As I see it, the Enoch corpus is a late development written to fill the gaps and explain Genesis 6 and other passages.

Most scholars think most of Enoch was very late, even Post-Christ.

Such is theory. It leaves room for the imagination. And much of it could be true. But it isn't canon.

The oldest copies
of Enoch's book date to 200 BC...
so for Christians to write it ..
it would have been hard...
unless they had a time machine to deposit
copies pre-Christ...
so... you are being very naive to bellieve
that possible...

LOL

I do not beieve you have taken time
to read the book...

you ought to...
it would make your posts more
'studied' instead of conjectural...

conjecture without facts can be
imagination....

the newest translation is one
that I did on Enoch...
and I did a commentary on it...

the 'imagination' that you said
was not imagination,
but a result of study of much ancient history,
translating from Geez, Hebrew, Greek, etc...
and studying even the column writings of
the Babylonian ancient history...

Enoch's book was quoted much in the first
century by the early Christians...
and was considered Scripture by them...

till Augustine and Jerome took it out,
although, they did so, right after
the group voted it was Scripture...

they removed it by saying the canon was
getting too big, so they would have to decide
between Revelation and Enoch...

the Ethiopian church, has always kept it
in their canon of Scriptures...

so....
depends whose canon you consider
valid...
the Ethiopian, the church of the first 300 years,
or the one post Augustine...

I prefer the canon accepted pre Augustine...

the church went into the 'dark ages'
post Augustine...

My book is available on Amazon.com,
in Borders, or in Barnes and Nobles,
and in Target stores...

I do not think you will read it...
but it is available if you decide to
not be so naive...
LOL

Thanks for your insults....
I look at the source, and understand...

Upvote 0

jamescarvin

dummie
Feb 26, 2008
USA
Visit site
✟8,088.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Also, this is not a doctrinal discussion, but an expository and historical one,
so your arguments seem half-baked, at best. As you said, it leaves room for speculation,
but you want to pass off every other opinion save your own as "naive."

It surely makes your intent appear dubious, and not favorable.

I could take the same approach to departure from canon when addressing
how many "church fathers" you follow or how many "saints" you worship or pray to.
After all, canon says to pray to no one other than YHWH in YSHA's name,
yet you likely pray to many others, do you not?

Can you canonically justify that?

So let us not speak of each other's naivete,
because the wisdom that comes from above
is first of all pure, then peaceable.

I hadn't really expected a response like that. No, I worship God alone. I do not worship or pray to saints. I pray with them; not to them. I do not treat the writings of church fathers on the same level as the canon of Scripture. That's all just for the record since you suggested and asked. Otherwise, its off topic, I think.

What I think is not off topic is the issue of naivete - a word which I use to describe positively an attitude that one must possess in order to take seriously the corpus of Enoch and believe that Bigfoot and the Abominable Snowman, the Loch Ness Monster and the Chupacabra are all living, just elusively except by a few who have reported sightings.

I think it is entirely relavant to discuss how these may relate to whatever the Nephilim may have been. You bring up demonology and angelology and the end times using extra-Biblical sources to elaborate. I say bravo to that. It is entirely pertinent given what it is. Text sources, as far as I'm concerned, canonical or not, are an important part of archeological study. But so is source-criticism. So if Jude makes reference to Enoch it is valid to ask whether he had an authentic writing of Enoch he was quoting from, whether he was quoting from an un-authentic source, or whether we still possess the source he was referring to.

The church fathers, the apostolic ones, were Christians. We are not sure who it was who wrote the Books of Enoch.

The Enoch Corpus is fairly large. The possibility exists that Noah would have taken his writings with him on the boat. I am not aware of any scholars who have claimed that any writings attributed to Enoch still extant are authentic. I have read that the most ancient section of the Enoch Corpus is the Apocalypse of Weeks, thought relatively old because it was found in Qumran. Apocalyptic literature was popular among the Essenes before and after Christ. But the Apocalypse of Weeks is just one short discourse.

Scholars can be wrong. That is why I mentioned the use of the term "myth." Some scholars automatically assume that if a story reports a miracle that it is a myth. Science has trouble reporting miracles. The purpose of Biblical archeology, as I see it, is to verify for a disbelieving world whether the things reported in the Bible are true. Those reporting are expected to be scientific rather than biased by faith. If they hold to an opinion because of their faith, their profession still calls them to report scientifically.

I did not try to propose a doctrine, that I can recall. So I do not understand some of what you said, as if my theories were "half-baked." I take it on faith, not proof, that there was a flood and that Noah built an ark. I take it on faith, not proof, that the Nephalim are not just a "myth." I do not exclude the possibility that everything in your post was true. Neither do I make the assumption that it is all true. I simply hold that to hold that it is all true requires a view of the canon that is uncritical and very loose. Specifically, you need to take an uncritical approach to the Books of Enoch. Maybe you don't have to view them as canon, or even as authentic. Maybe if most of what you quoted was written in the third century A.D. the explanations are still perfectly valid.

I think I'm pretty open to it all. Maybe it is just as valid as the writings of the early church fathers, and written during the same period, if that is your point, though pseudepigraphy is really a type of forgery and I do not see the early church fathers as attempting to forge religious history so much as preserve it and explain it.

Where we may differ, if we do, is to what spiritual warfare and excorcism is all about. I don't think this is thread drift either. If the Nephilim are bad half-breed angels who are creating more half-breeds by knowing human women, then they seem to consistently escape the radar. The only giants I know of have hormone problems. All the others are smart enough to live out in the wild and hardly ever be seen by any human being, if they truly exist at all.

Maybe you saw the movie Constantine, where the demons started breaking the rules and crossing over to this side. That type of possession may occur from time to time, but the general rule had always been, in the words of Kianu Reeves, "they are allowed to influence people, not cross over." The decision belongs, in other words, to the sinner/saint. To me that is the true spiritual warfare. It exists in our daily decisions. The type of spiritual warfare you are talking about seems to be where Belial possess the antichrist, physically.

I'm not sure how you see excorcising demons at that point, as the restrainer no longer restrains at a certain time, or whether you believe the church will be raptured or not then. Maybe you can explain your view rather than criticizing mine, which seems odd to me since I haven't really expressed my own view much at all, so much as discussed the views of others.

Now the explanation that the Sons of God are the blood line, physically or spiritually of Seth, while the daughters of men are the blood line, physically or spiritually of Ham, including Canaan, is also a very interesting one. It seems clear enough to me, however, that the Bible does speak of giants of physical stature, not simply enormous wickedness. On that I'll throw in an opinion.

It is an interesting theory. I will leave it at that. When it comes to discussion of angels and demons I can only speak of the things I know about or take on faith, not having seen. While the Bible does depict certain expulsions of demons I have heard varying theories on what was actually taking place. Lamsa, in his commentary on the Peshitta, for instance, shows the difference between the Aramaic and the Greek in a number of New Testimant examples of demonic deliverance and points out that in the Semitic mind all illness was caused by evil spirits. The possession was a matter of a sick spirit. The healing was always a deliverance from a demon spirit.

The Greeks, he points out, viewed this very differently and brought to their translations the Hellenist and pagan view of demon possession.

I do not know whether Lamsa was right. He has been highly criticized by those who prefer to believe that the New Testament was first written in Greek rather than Aramaic.

When I approach questions that involve text analysis like this I simply look at multiple sides of arguments and confess that I don't know, unless of course, I do know.

Spiritual warfare is a daily activity for anyone who understands the conflict between the sinful nature and the spiritual nature that are both in us. The willing and the doing are the same when being born from above the mercy of the Lord is administered in deliverance over our lives, through humble and contrite hearts. To me, this constitutes the regular spritual warfare. Manifestation of demonic possessions are very rare. I have only seen two or three instances of what may have been authentic demon possessions in my lifetime.

I see another type of spirituality among some that involves excorcisms and naming of spirits on a regular basis. I have known some who suspect that there are demons just about everywhere. It is good to pray constantly and fervently, but I sometimes wonder whether those who pray prayers of excorcism that way, calling it spiritual warfare, aren't masking over the fact that this regular spiritual warfare, which involves the battle between their own carnal and spiritual nature, is missing. Their prayers are not the humble prayers of those who confess and hate their sin. Rather, they become spiritually haughty by playing a religious game they suppose to be "higher" than that of others who battle against themselves, recognizing that the enemy is their own carnal nature and their own will.

This they must live with long after the demons have been dispossessed. So the battle will rage. Fortunately for us all, our yoke is easy and our burden is light. Our Savior lives.

I don't doubt that demons will ascend from the pit. The Book of Revelation says that they will. The Nephilim may reign on earth again in those days. But if I do have a theory or doctrine to speak of, it is simply that by having this more daily and basic spiritual warfare as a background, then these later and exceptional manifestations ought to be dealt with more readily. It will be the same Savior who expels them, if they are in his will to expel them at that time, as the one who saves us from our own weaknesses. He will allow us to walk in the Spirit - in the light, and not darkness.

The tendency among many is to look at those who involve themselves in ministries of excorcism as a kind of top gun class Christian. Many, seeing this is so, venture into ministries of excorcism, when probably no demons really exist to excorcise to begin with. This type of Christian will often call something a demon which is not a demon and then pray deliverance over the thing or person or place so possessed, imagine that it has left, (or know so by faith), and then esteem his or herself as among the spiritual giants of this world.

Paul said seek the higher gifts. We see prophets doing the same thing. They know that certain types of gifts are higher than others and seeking spiritual respect from others and towards themselves they imagine God has been speaking to them and they speak out things that are not necessarily the voice of God, but the imaginations of their hearts. And really, so long as they can gain respect by it, it really doesn't matter to them whether these prophecies are actually the prophecies of demons.

I am not saying this happens all of the time. I am saying that it is possible that this happens sometimes. And I am saying that it should be discerned.

Eschatology also is considered an "advanced" Christian subject. Many people, not satisfied with the respect that they already have, want to be esteemed more highly by others and so they delve into eschatology, and they are encouraged to do so because they are assured they will receive special blessings if they can figure certain things out, such as the number of the beast.

The risk with this is that we will think more highly of ourselves than we ought. This is particularly the case if we are only doing it to mask over dimensions of our spiritual walk that are missing in the first place.

Use of Pseudepigrphal books is another behavior I have sometimes noticed among certain people I have known who have sought to distinguish themselves. They seek an insight from these books that other Christians don't have. The Book of Enoch is high on the list of books that are "really cool" because 1)not too many are familiar with them and 2)hey, what if these really were the words of Enoch himself?

You can really impress people who are unfamiliar with this material this way. You mean, you, you really found the writings of Enoch? No way! Really??

And wow, what a spiritual expert you are that you know so much about the angels and the demons! My goodness, you must really be someone who is spiritually in tune. Can you actually see those demons and angels? Do you have knowledge that I don't have?

I don't mean to be fecetious. I mean to portray a picture of what those who read this material may be entertaining in their hearts. If the shoe does not fit, then don't put it on. If it does, then the first order of business is not really to excorcise a demon with a name so much as it is to ask the Lord Jesus to simply remove from you your need for spiritual pride. Renounce this need. Renounce the spirit of judging others, whether groups or individuals. Be delivered from your tendencies in this regard. Ask the Lord to deliver you from spiritual pride and to fill your heart with the knowledge of salvation and the great mercy and love of the Lord.

It is funny how faith is actually so simple. God loves you deeply. And knowing and believing and responding to this is all you really need to be delivered from this type of spiritual pride.

Please do not take any of this as me judging you. I have no idea whether any of this fits for you. I am speaking in generalities only of a few people I have known. I am limited to my own horizon of experience.

May this post be received with great blessing.

Upvote 0

Ajax 777

God is the Truth, not an opinion.
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2005
✟117,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I hadn't really expected a response .... this post be received with great blessing.

Again for you, since you missed it from above...

The writing's author, Murjahel, says:

"The oldest copies
copies pre-Christ...
that possible...

LOL

to read the book...

you ought to...

imagination....

that I did on Enoch...

was not imagination,

so....
valid...

post Augustine...

and in Target stores...

not be so naive...
LOL

Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
There are many wonderful books in the Bible,
and yet, not all the books that Christians
read today are in the Bible,
some read doctrinal books, not in the Bible,
some read books by Billy Graham, etc...
and they are not in the Bible...

So... why all the hatred of good books
that were written in the previous generations???
it is mostly due to ignorance and fear...

Not all good books are in the Bible.

Paul wrote many epistles that are not in the Bible, others wrote books, that are quoted in, referred to, in the Bible, but not there in totality.

These books include:
Book of Nathan
II Chronicles 9:29

Prophecy of Ahijah, the Shilonite

Visions of Iddo, the Seer

Book of Jehu
II Chronicles 20:34

Apocalypse of Isaiah
II Chronicles 26:22, 32:32

Book of Jasher
II Samuel 1:18, Joshua 10:13

Book of Gad
I Chronicles 29:29

Book of Shemaiah, the Prophet
II Chronicles 12:15

Book of the Wars of the Lord
Numbers 21:14

Book of Enoch
Jude 14-15

Testament of Moses
Jude 9-10

God did not have these books included in our canon of the Bible, but He allowed them to be honored by being mentioned, and parts of them included within the Bible.

The early church had access to some of these, and mentioned them, used them.

The Book of Enoch

is shown in the commentary that I wrote
to agree with the Word of God,
to be accurate in detail,
and to pass the same tests to which we subject the Word of God.

In Jude 14-15,
Jude quotes from ‘The Book of Enoch",
and tells us of Enoch’s prophetic message
of the Lord’s second coming.
I was intrigued by that quote, and began a search, some years back, for a copy of such book.

If the early church read and enjoyed this book by Enoch,
and God had Jude quote some of it into the Bible,
then I too wanted to read that book.

Who is 'man' to decide that a book,
chosen to be quoted and
inserted into the Bible that quote,
is not worthy to be read?
The audacity of some to attack
a book quoted by Jude,
under the direction of the Holy Spirit,
into the Word of God.
It is paramount to blasphemy to
call the quote by Jude to be
part of a 'pseudepigraphal'
(false) book!!!!

I have little patience with
those who call this book
false, and yet, God had it quoted
into the Bible...

I will not argue with them,
they aer not worth the time ...

The early church referred to the Book of
Enoch.
Jude vv. 14-15
Barnabas 4:3, 16:15
Clement of Alexander
Origen
Tertullian
Anatolus of Laodicea
Ireneas
and Justin Martyrall
referred to the Book of Enoch
as inspired.

Yet, many will take the fact
that it is not included in the Bible
as making it uninspired...
LOL

Jude must have been errant then,
and all those others....?
and God must have made a mistake
in having that 'uninspired book'
quoted into the Word of God?

The gall of ignorance!!!!

Nearly all the writers of the New Testament show they were familiar with the Book of Enoch, and were favorably influenced by it.

The Dead Sea Scrolls contained many copies and partial copies of the Book of Enoch, 'In the Dead Sea scrolls, '
there were found 17 copies.

Comparitively, there were 30 copies of Psalms that were found at Qumran.
Also, 25 copies of Deuteronomy,
19 of Isaiah,
15 of Genesis and Exodus,
14 Of Jubilees,
and 17 of Enoch I.

Quotations of Enoch in the
‘Testaments of the Patriarchs’,
and in the Book of Jubilees’
show that at least as far back as 200 B.C., we book was considered ‘inspired’.

Jude further validated the book with his quote from it.

Surely, there are pseudepigraphal
books,
that is no reason to decide a book
quoted by Jude, under the Holy Spirit's
direction, is one of the
pseudepigraphal books...

Trying to avoid the conclusions
that 'angels cohabiting with women'
would bring, many have decided
to dispute this book...
for it invalidates their
assumptions, and un studied bias...

Upvote 0

jamescarvin

dummie
Feb 26, 2008
USA
Visit site
✟8,088.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The oldest copies
copies pre-Christ...
that possible...

LOL

to read the book...

you ought to...

imagination....

that I did on Enoch...

was not imagination,

so....
valid...

post Augustine...

and in Target stores...

not be so naive...
LOL

I did not mean to insult you. I am sorry you took it that way. Actually, I had offered kudos and even gave you reps.

Anyhow, the fact that some of the books of Enoch may have been accepted in parts of the church does not really do us any good because no one is sure which of the books of Enoch those early fathers were referring to, or whether those particular books are still extant. You say that "the oldest copies of the Book of Enoch date to 200 BC." This is a very misleading statement. The truth is that the Essene community which used these books and copied and probably elaborated very much on them, did so beginning around that date. While they were Jews, some of these later became followers of John the Baptist and of Christ in the centuries which followed. And that is how the Books of Enoch became Christianized.

When you suggest that we have books that go back to 200 B.C. try to consider that the oldest copy even of the Bible that we have is Codex Sinaiticus, which dates to the third century A.D.. We also have Vaticanus, which is no earlier. We do not by any account possess whole copies of "The Book of Enoch" dating to 200 B.C., as your post suggests.

We do possess fragments from Qumran. None of these, so far as I know, matches word for word, anything any of the early fathers quoted.

I do have respect for the Copts. These also claim to have the Arc of the Covenant. I understand that there is an unbroken tradition that is exceptional. And I understand your need to sell your book and defend it. I did not realize you were trying to sell a book. But whatever copies of the Book of Enoch were rejected by Augustine, I don't think it is a poor assumption to say they were rejected because the books they were looking at were known to be forgeries. It is not like any of the fourth century fathers were participants in a conspiracy to suppress this type of material. Who would not have wanted to have in their possession the authentic writings of Enoch himself? But the Hebrews had rejected them from their canon. And this says much to me about their authenticity. It's not like they have any potent messianic prophecies that they would have any reason to suppress them, as is the case with the Book of Wisdom, for instance.

But never mind the Jewish opinion, if Enoch had been understood to be authentic from the beginning, then Ethiopia would not have been alone in wanting it in the canon. Other books of the same period, what came to be called apocryphal or deuterocanonical books, including Wisdom, were rejected by the Jews along with the books attributed to Enoch, but they were read and accepted. So canonization of books was not restricted to Hebrew opinion, even if Jerome advocated it.

You also dared quote from Tobit and Baruch. Kudos for that too.

But the original Enoch seems to have been lost, as have been the originals of many writings mentioned in the Bible. Jude was a Christian and quoted from Enoch. Show me where in any of Enoch's writings included in the Ethiopian Bible he said:

"Behold, the Lord came with many thousands of His holy ones, to execute judgment upon all, and to convict all the ungodly of all their ungodly deeds which they have done in an ungodly way, and of all the harsh things which ungodly sinners have spoken against Him." (Jude 1:15)

I totally don't doubt that what you have in the Enoch that has survived is a typical expression of Jewish angelology, so that on its own it has its usefulness. But the church as a whole did not accept the Enoch they had available in their day even if the Ethopians were an exception, so all the more reason that the Enoch we have available today should not be accepted as Biblical canon.

Now if you could be so kind as to refrain from responding with LOL and "read the book" please feel free to correct me with kindness. I don't pretend to know everything here. I came here to learn. And again, if anything I have said has insulted you, please don't take it that way. It is not intended that way. I do not know you, or who you are, and I have not read your book. I have no basis for judging you. I normally do not buy books but get information wherever I can for free. So please also do not take it personally if I do not purchase a copy of your book. Feel free to summarize your book here on this forum to whatever extent you can, and to the extent that it relates to the subject of this forum thread.

Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
YOU SAY....I did not mean to insult you. I am sorry you took it that way. Actually, I had offered kudos and even gave you reps.

AND YET... YOU DID INSULT, AND THE 'KUDOS AND REPS' WERE ADDED TO THE END OF THE INSULTS... IT IS LIKE A PUNCH IN THE FACE, BUT THEN YOU PAT ME ON THE BACK... NO THANKS.

YOU SAY "Anyhow, the fact that some of the books of Enoch may have been accepted in parts of the church does not really do us any good because no one is sure which of the books of Enoch those early fathers were referring to, or whether those particular books are still extant. "

THERE ARE 3 BOOKS OF ENOCH, I, II, AND III...

ENOCH III DOES NOT HAVE THE QUOTE OF JUDE, NEITHER DOES ENOCH II....
ENOCH I DOES...
WE FIND PARTS OF ENOCH,
PRE EXISTENT TO JESUS' FIRST COMING...
WE FIND QUOTES OF IT IN PRE CHRISTIAN TIMES,
ALL THOSE FRAGMENTS,
AND QUOTES ARE IN ENOCH I....
THERE IS NO DOUBT, AND IN FACT, I KNOW OF NO ONE WHO ARGUES FOR THE OTHER TWO TO BE THE ONE... THEY ARE OBVIOUSLY LATER PSEUDOPIGRAPHAL WORKS...

YOU SAY "You say that "the oldest copies of the Book of Enoch date to 200 BC." This is a very misleading statement. The truth is that the Essene community which used these books and copied and probably elaborated very much on them, did so beginning around that date. While they were Jews, some of these later became followers of John the Baptist and of Christ in the centuries which followed. And that is how the Books of Enoch became Christianized."

THE COPIES FOUND IN ESSENE COMMUNITY HAVE BEEN DATED TO PRE CHRIST TIMES... SOME OF THOSE ONES DID BECOME CHRISTIANS, BUT JUDE QUOTED ENOCH INTO THE BIBLE, SO IF HE GOT IT FROM THEM, NOT JESUS... YOU WOULD THINK THE CHURCH WOULD HAVE REJECTED IT... FOR WE ARE TOLD IN THE WORD THAT JESUS SHOWED THE DISCIPLES IN 'ALL THE PROPHETS' THE THINGS CONCERNING HIMSELF... AND IF ENOCH WAS NOT ONE OF THOSE, THE OTHER DISCIPLES WOULD HAVE OBJECTED TO JUDE ADDING ENOCH TO THAT LIST...

THE EARLY CHURCH QUOTED FROM ENOCH OFT, AND PREACHED FROM ENOCH...
AND ALL THOSE QUOTES ARE FOUND IN ENOCH I...
THEY USED ENOCH I TO LEAD JEWISH PEOPLE, INCLUDING ESSENES TO JESUS,
FOR IT REFERRED TO MUCH OF WHAT JESUS HAD JUST SHOWN...
IF THOSE WERE ADDITIONS,
THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN STRONGLY OBJECTED TO...
YOUR LOGIC ON CHRISTIANS ADDING TO ENOCH, LEADING JEWS TO JESUS
WITH THOSE ADDITIONS IS FAR FETCHED...

YOU SAY...When you suggest that we have books that go back to 200 B.C. try to consider that the oldest copy even of the Bible that we have is Codex Sinaiticus, which dates to the third century A.D.. We also have Vaticanus, which is no earlier. We do not by any account possess whole copies of "The Book of Enoch" dating to 200 B.C., as your post suggests.

YOU ARE WRONG... THE OLDEST COPIES OF THE BIBLE CANNOT GO BACK TO BEFORE 300 AD, FOR THE BIBLE WAS NOT PUT INTO ONE VOLUME UNTIL THAT TIME, IT WAS SEPARATE BOOKS... CALLED 'SCRIPTURES'... ENOCH IS REFERRED TO AS ONE OF THEM... THERE ARE COPIES OF ISAIAH, AND OTHER BIBLICAL BOOKS IN THE DEAD SEA CAVES, AND THE OLDEST DATE TO 200 TO 300 YRS BEFORE CHRIST...
SO... IF THOSE COPIES AGREE WITH THE COPIES OF 300 AD, WE ARE CERTAIN THAT CHRISTIANS DID NOT ADD ISAIAH 53 TO ISAIAH, ... IN THE SAME WAY, THE HEBREW COPIES IN THE DEAD SEA SCROLLS, AGREE WITH THE ETHIOPIC COPIES, WE CAN BE ASSURED THAT THE CHRISTIANS DID NOT ADD...
WE FIND QUOTES OF ENOCH FAR BACK INTO THE O.T. PERIOD... ALL ARE IN ENOCH I... YOUR FACTS ARE
MISCONSTRUED... YOU MIX UP THE IDEA OF FULL COPIES OF THE BIBLE, WHICH WAS NOT EVEN POSSIBLE BEFORE AUGUSTINE, FOR IT WAS NOT PUT INTO ONE CANON TILL THEN... STOP AND THINK, PLEASE...

YOU SAY We do possess fragments from Qumran. None of these, so far as I know, matches word for word, anything any of the early fathers quoted.

THAT IS VERY WRONG... THE ONLY DIFFERENCES IN ISAIAH IN THE QUMRAM CAVES TO LATER HEBREW MSS OF ISAIAH, AMOUNT TO MINOR DIFFERENCES, NONE OF WHICH WOULD CHANGE ONE DOCTRINE, BUT A SPELLING DIFFERENCE OF A CITY, A SPELLING DIFFERENCE OF A NAME, COMMON KINDS OF ERRORS THAT YOU FIND IN COPYING ANY WORK...NO ADDITIONS, NO SUBTRACTIONS OF PORTIONS....
I THINK YOU KNOW THAT,
AND THAT IS WHY YOU WORDED IT...
'none... matches word for word'
FOR YOU KNOW THAT THOSE DIFFERENCES
PROVED TO BE MINOR COPYING TYPE ERRORS

YOU SAY ....But whatever copies of the Book of Enoch were rejected by Augustine, I don't think it is a poor assumption to say they were rejected because the books they were looking at were known to be forgeries.

IT TAKES A BIT OF STUDY...
BUT IF YOU RESEARCH THAT COUNCIL
AND ITS DECISIONS,
YOU WILL FIND THAT THEY VOTED ON WHETHER ENOCH WAS SCRIPTURE OR NOT,
AND IT WAS VOTED
'YES'...
THERE WAS NOT SUGGESTION THE BOOK WAS A FORGERY...
THE FORGERY AND FALSE BOOKS WERE BANNED, ... NOT ENOCH...
THE VOTE WAS TAKEN TO PICK BETWEEN ENOCH AND REVELATION, CLAIMING THE CANON WAS GETTING TOO LARGE... ONE HAD TO BE OMITTED... ENOCH WAS STILL CALLED SCRIPTURE ... CHECK EARLY CHURCH HISTORY...

YOU SAY....' the Hebrews had rejected them from their canon. And this says much to me about their authenticity. It's not like they have any potent messianic prophecies that they would have any reason to suppress them, as is the case with the Book of Wisdom, for instance.

THE HEBREWS DID NOT BAN IT FROM THEIR CANON TILL 90 AD, IN JAMNIA...
AND THAT WAS DUE TO THEIR REJECTION OF MUCH PROPHETIC WRITINGS,
DUE TO THE FALL OF JERUSALEM IN 70 AD,

THEY WERE REJECTING THE MESSIAH IDEA IN GREAT MEASURE THEN...
THEY HAD REJECTED JESUS,
AND ENOCH HAD BECOME A GREAT TOOL OF EARLY CHRISTIANS IN SHOWING PROPHETIC WORD FULFILLED BY JESUS...

OTHER PARTS AND BOOKS REFERRED TO IN THE BIBLE WERE ALSO REJECTED AT THAT TIME...

YOU SHOULD BECOME A STUDENT OF CHURCH AND JEWISH HISTORY, IT WOULD HELP YOU NOT TO ASSUME ASSUMPTIONS MADE BY SOME WHO ARE NOT STUDENTS OF SUCH...

YOU SAY...But never mind the Jewish opinion, if Enoch had been understood to be authentic from the beginning, then Ethiopia would not have been alone in wanting it in the canon.

ETHIOPIA NEVER WAS PART OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH... THEY ARE ALONE, DUE TO THE FACT THAT JEROME HID ENOCH AWAY, AND WHEN THE DARK AGES OF NOT ALLOWING ANYONE TO EVEN READ THE BIBLE EXCEPT THE PRIESTS, IT WAS SUCCESSFULLY HIDDEN FROM THE AVERAGE CHRISTIAN READING IT.. IT BECAME FORGOTTEN ...
WHEN THE PROTESTANT REFORMATION CAME,
ENOCH WAS NOT AVAILABLE TO BE RE INSERTED,
THEY KNEW JUDE QUOTED IT...
BUT TILL THE 1800'S THE CHURCH IN ETHIOPIA WAS FORGOTTEN AND NOT KNOWN ABOUT...
WHEN THEY SENT MISSIONARIES TO ETHIOPIA TO LEAD THEM TO JESUS,
THEY FOUND THERE WAS STILL AN 'EARLY CHURCH' TYPE CHURCH FLOURISHING THERE...

YOU SAY ,,, the original Enoch seems to have been lost,
THAT IS AN ASSUMPTION, NOT BASED ON FACT... YOU REJECT ENOCH I, AND THEREFORE, HAVING NO OTHER BOOK WITH THAT QUOTE, YOU HAVE TO SAY THE REAL ONE IS LOST...
Jude was a Christian and quoted from Enoch. Show me where in any of Enoch's writings included in the Ethiopian Bible he said:

"Behold, the Lord came with many thousands of His holy ones, to execute judgment upon all, and to convict all the ungodly of all their ungodly deeds which they have done in an ungodly way, and of all the harsh things which ungodly sinners have spoken against Him." (Jude 1:15)

IT IS IN ENOCH I... THAT SAME WORDING, ONLY VARIANT DUE TO TRANSLATION TO DIFFERENT LANGUAGE TYPE DIFFERENCES... THAT SAME MESSAGE IS IN ENOCH I... YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVE NOT READ ENOCH... PLEASE, IF NOT MY TRANSLATION, TRY R.H. CHARLES' TRANSLATION, YOU WILL FIND IT THERE... AND IN LAURENCE'S, AND IN KNIBBS... MINE IS BASED ON MORE MSS BEING FOUND, SO PARTS OF THE EARLY MSS FOUND THAT HAD UNREADABLE WORDS (DUE TO AGE) WERE FILLED IN WHEN OTHER MSS HAVING CLEARER READING OF THOSE PORTIONS HELPED... BUT THAT VERSE IS CLEAR EVEN IN THE EARLY FOUND MSS, SO IT IS CLEARLY THERE IN ALL TRANSLATIONS...

YOU SAY.... I normally do not buy books but get information wherever I can for free.

NO SURPRISE THERE... lol
MY BOOK HAS BEEN OUT BARELY OVER A MONTH,
IT IS ALREADY IN SOME CHURCH LIBRARIES,
AND SOON WILL BE
IN COLLEGE AND PUBLIC LIBRARIES...
AND
EVEN IF IT IS NOT IN YOUR LOCAL ONE,
THEY CAN DO A SEARCH,
FIND IT,
AND OBTAIN IT FOR YOU....
I HAVE DONE THAT FOR DIFFERENT BOOKS
THAT I COULD NOT LOCATE...
YOU CAN TOO...
AND IT IS
FREE OF CHARGE,

GIVE IT A BIT OF TIME,
AND YOU WILL FIND IT...
THE UNIVERSITY THAT I ATTENDED
DOES NOT HAVE IT YET...
BUT WILL SOON

Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I am not aware of any scholars who have claimed that any writings attributed to Enoch still extant are authentic.
How about St. Jude, the brother of the Lord? He beleived it was authentically attributed to Enoch. ALL scholars agree we have found a pre-Christian copy of the book quoted by Enoch. Problem is, most scholars don't beleive the Bible so you have to work back to it a different way...

1. We believe Jude
2. The Book Jude quoted exists
3. That book is written on 2,200 year old parchments

Therefore, the extant book is attributed to Enoch by the word of God in the letter of Jude.

Upvote 0

jamescarvin

dummie
Feb 26, 2008
USA
Visit site
✟8,088.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I will have to break up my response into parts as it was too long and the details are pertinent to the discussion. Here is Part One.

YOU SAY.... I normally do not buy books but get information wherever I can for free.

NO SURPRISE THERE... lol
MY BOOK HAS BEEN OUT BARELY OVER A MONTH,
IT IS ALREADY IN SOME CHURCH LIBRARIES,
AND SOON WILL BE
IN COLLEGE AND PUBLIC LIBRARIES...
AND
EVEN IF IT IS NOT IN YOUR LOCAL ONE,
THEY CAN DO A SEARCH,
FIND IT,
AND OBTAIN IT FOR YOU....
I HAVE DONE THAT FOR DIFFERENT BOOKS
THAT I COULD NOT LOCATE...
YOU CAN TOO...
AND IT IS
FREE OF CHARGE,

GIVE IT A BIT OF TIME,
AND YOU WILL FIND IT...
THE UNIVERSITY THAT I ATTENDED
DOES NOT HAVE IT YET...
BUT WILL SOON
Thank you for your interesting and informative post. You wrote in ALL CAPS, which I'm not sure if you are aware, generally means you are shouting. Just so you will know. Your post was quite insulting to me, such as the comment you made that you were not surprised that I did not buy books. I do not buy them because I am a poor man and cannot afford them. But your insult was intended to portray that I have no intelligence or knowledge.

If I am wrong about something then simply show where this is so. For instance, I have researched the quote from Enoch by Jude, and found this at 1:9. When I was first reading the book of Enoch this did not pop up at me, even though I was looking for it. And there was no such thing as an Internet back then. I do not mind being corrected publicly. I do mind being shouted at and insulted.

If you will simply stick to the facts there will be no need to attempt to dismantle what I have to say through insults. If what you say is true then truth will take care of becoming known by those who discern things.

I have read the translations of Enoch that have been available to me. I deliberately searched very carefully for the quote in from Jude 1:14-15 in Enoch precisely because I would have very much liked to have seen this book extolled as a missing part of what ought to be canonical Scripture. That is why I searched for it in the first place. But that was 1992. And my search was manual. And after spending over $50 for the books which contained this material, someone borrowed the book and never returned it. So I have been going by memory here and I am not surprised if not all my facts are completely accurate.

You have apparently done some research that you have published in your book, and I am happy that maybe there is some new information in this subject which would prove my original research on the matter incorrect. My own search through Enoch 1, 2 and 3 back in 1992-3 did not find the passage I asked you to show me. A very quick Internet search just a minute ago shows it at 1 Enoch 1:9. No problem.

You say that must have never read it and that is incorrect. Maybe the copy I had was a bad translation so I missed it, as you said, but one thing I do know, I was unable to find it back then. And the commentaries on it said that the works were all known to be pseudepigraphal, so not having found what I was looking for, I gave up the search, concluding that these scholars must have been correct. What a shame. But I am glad to have now been corrected!

I am aware of the value of the find at Qumran for passages in Isaiah and biblical authentication. You are perhaps unaware of how condescending your post to me was. Your Internet manners could use quite a bit of improvement. I am not making myself out to be an expert. If you would please respond kindly and calmly I will be happy to help you in promoting your message in any way I can. I am not an adversary, but feel you are treating me as one. All you have to do is convince me that what you are saying is true. It is academic.

(continued …)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jamescarvin

dummie
Feb 26, 2008
USA
Visit site
✟8,088.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Here is Part Two...

On the question of the decisions about the canon, I am not as uninformed as you make out. The Internet is not such a bad place for learning and it is not as though I have not also used libraries quite a bit, some of the best theological seminary libraries in the United States, in fact. Though I am still not here attempting to profess to be an expert at anything, just a student and lover of truth. So speak truth and you will not have an adversary in me. Convince me, and then maybe you will sell some extra copies of your book, or better yet, a long standing shortcoming in the church can be corrected, and the church can become aware of reasons they should take this long lost book more seriously. I would be happy to assist you in such a service to the church as my life is already not my own.

So as to the canon, you seem to be saying that it was a toss up between the Book of Revelation and Enoch, and that the problem was that there were just too many Old Testament books to include Enoch 1 in the canon. This is your premise. Now if you can meet some objections to your premise you will make your case stronger for all who may be interested in this subject, so please do not be offended or take it as an insult if I offer you some questions about this.

I have not only read Enoch 1, even if it was many years ago, but also the early church fathers more than most others have, and these I try to keep up with as they are generally more useful and resolving questions about canonicity is one of the ways in which they are useful. When I see discussions of the canon, usually what I see among the church fathers is lists, such as that given in the Muratorian Canon, and some of these are included in Eusebius' Church History. Jerome's reason for rejecting certain books was that he wanted to respect the opinions of the Jewish Rabbis. You can see this on his commentary on Tobit, for instance. The historical background for the council of Jamnia was just one event in which the Jews affirmed their canon. Their canon was ratified by them later, but again later A.D. Jewish opinion is not what concerns me. Christian opinion is what matters.

You say that Enoch contains plenty of Messianic prophecy. I didn't particularly notice it. My research of this was many years ago - 1992-3. I'm not approaching you attempting to make out that I am an authority figure. I am a simple student who is remembering what he read 18 years ago. So if there are Messianic references I don't remember reading this does not surprise me. My goal in reading Enoch was to find the passage from Jude, not search for Messianic prophecy, especially given the fact that the editors were suggesting that the book as we have it today had passed through the hands of Christian redactors as it was copied.

Now that being the case your criticism of my comment that they were Christianized at all ought to be directed at those editors rather than to me, as I am simply relaying the opinions of the translators and editors. I can't tell you who they were as I no longer possess the two volume series. I think it was simply called "The Pseudepigrapha." Unfortunately, someone borrowed the books from me without ever returning them and I was out the $50 the books cost me.

But that I may be better understood as to the opinions I formed, combine the fact that it was rejected as canon with these types of editorial remarks and I don't think it is so unreasonable that I would not have been particularly concerned about whether there was any so called Messianic prophecy in it. It would have been very easy for the Christian community to offer messianic prophecy as interpolations into the text as they copied it.

Outside of searching unsuccessfully for Jude 1:15, which today was right under my nose within seconds of searching on the web, the more overriding concern for me about it was whether it was authentically the writing of Enoch himself. Jude does not simply allude to a writing called Enoch, but to Enoch in the seventh generation from Adam. In other words, he is talking about the Enoch referred to in the beginning of Genesis and not to a Pseudo-Enoch from 200 B.C. If we accept that the book was written in 200 B.C. and that that is what Enoch was referring to, then we must accept that Jude was in error in saying that Enoch had written these words. He did not say "for it is written in the book attributed to Enoch" but referred to Enoch himself. If Jude, is then our source of authority on the question of canonicity for this book because he quoted from it, then we must also accept that the Bible contains an error and that Jude mistakenly thought that Enoch from the seventh generation from Adam was the author of this book.

That is what I mean by the term "authentic" and that is why I use the term "forgery."

Now I do understand that writings that were attributed to people were not necessarily deceptive in intent, but they were often a reflection of what subsequent writers, who considered themselves to be disciples of these figureheads, thought their words would be if they were still in their midst. Barnabas was rejected from the canon but is called "Pseudo-Barnabas." Most scholars seem to think that the work was probably not authentic, though many have believed that it is the writing of the same Barnabas we see in the book of Acts. Opinion is divided.

Now if it is this same Barnabas, then I would be one to advocate accepting the book as part of the NT canon. And if it is pseudepigraphically written, well, I can value it as the writing of an early disciple of Barnabas who sought to faithfully convey the thought of Barnabas. Either way, it is significant and worth reading, although canonicity places within it a sense of inerrancy and an expectation of inspiration that goes beyond the authority derived from a 1st or 2nd Century (A.D.) Christian writing.

In the case of the Book of Enoch, we are not dealing with quite the same thing because there were no direct disciples of Enoch living in 200 B.C. 4000 years of oral tradition had passed, as all in the early Christian community and in the centuries which followed would have known. So for Jude to suppose that this book was legitimate in the same sense that the Epistle of Barnabas was esteemed is not as appropriate. In the case of Barnabas we do not have a "forgery" so much as something written by a disciple who probably knew him well, if not the apostle himself. In the case of Enoch you had a work that was being used to convey authenticity while there was no real connection beyond the conjecture, oral tradition of the community and imagination, which has its own value, but given the reality of it, loses its weight of authority as it stands against other books that were revered by Jews and Christians and understood to be authentic and authoritative because they were carefully preserved books which were held to contain the writings of the figureheads of the people of God - Moses, David, Solomon, the Sons of Asaph and others. And both the major and minor prophets were not thought of as writings of the disciples, but of the prophets themselves. The idea of a trito-Isaiah is a relatively new criticism based on text, style - and dare I say lack of faith on the part of modern scholars.

The case of Enoch is obviously very far removed from that. A standard of authenticity became a rule for what books would be considered Holy Scripture by the community of faith. Books which did not meet this criterion were ommitted. Revelation was excluded by Dionysius of Alexandria, for instance, because he attributed it to Coracion. Eusebius elsewhere, relating the opinion of Hegissipus, (if my memory serves, as he was speaking on the identity of James) that neither of the two latter epistles of John or the book of Revelation were of the evangelist but of another John, who was closely associated with the apostles and shared the name.

You mistakenly thought I was speaking of the third century BC when I was speaking of AD and ridiculed me at length. I will overlook that but point out that I am glad that you recognize that at least some of the books of Enoch are pseudepigraphal. However, if you are suggesting that Enoch 1 is not pseudepigriphal then perhaps you do not understand that this word refers to whether the author it is ascribed to is the same person as the person who actually wrote it. If you say that Enoch 1 is not pseudepigriphal then what you are saying, whether you are aware of it or not, is that Enoch himself, in the seventh generation from Adam is the author of the book.

This is, in fact, what Jude states, uncritically accepting an oral tradition that was committed to writing after almost 4000 years. The point that Jude, being inspired, may have been accurate at least with respect to this quote, (and the Scriptures cannot be broken) adds validity to the possibility of this off the charts leap-of-faith notion. But even so, it does not validate the entire book, only the single passage quoted, which Christian copyists could easily have added, and would have motive to have done so, to later versions of what came to be called the Book of Enoch.

Well, now that we have some fragments from Qumran, we can check these against the three Ethiopian copies brought to us by James Bruce. Was this passage in the fragments of 1 Enoch found in Qumran cave 7? My Internet searches suggest that the fragments 7Q4, 7Q7 and 7Q12 are from from chapter 103 of Enoch, not chapter 1.

Anyone familiar with scrolls knows that the first and last chapters of scrolls are normally the first place to find redacted material, for the simple reason that you can add a chapter to any scroll you wish just by tacking on a little extra papyrus to one end or the other. This then gets added to the next copy. I am not saying that this is what happened. I am saying that it is very possible that this happened. And the result is that literally none of the Qumran scrolls, that may very well refer to Enoch, show the same text quoted from Jude, but that Christians may easily have added to their own texts the first chapter to scrolls they already had, so as to represent a continuity between whatever Jude may have been referring to and their own editions of the Book of Enoch.

I am not saying that this is so or that this is not so. I am simply offering a possibility. Theories are things which deserve to be tested. Evidence can be weighed and we can all learn together. We are not short of Christian pseudepigraphal works that would put such a practice beyond doubt. Was the Gospel of Peter authentic? The Gospel of Thomas? The Gospel of Mary Magdelene? Gospels were a favorite to produce, it seems. And it was very useful, particularly for heretics, to claim proximity to authority figures, as I doubt you would disagree, a fact which to me demonstrates the early ubiquity of the four Gospels we now consider canonical, as much as it does the human tendency to promote pet doctrines through forgeries.

But if such a situation actually describes what really did happen with the extant versions of the Book of Enoch brought over from Ethiopia, and other copies that may be related to it, then what we have is not material that Jude was quoting from, but material to which the quote from Jude was appended into a chapter 1.

If you can overcome this objection, then the world will be in your debt.

(to be continued in part three …)

Upvote 0

jamescarvin

dummie
Feb 26, 2008
USA
Visit site
✟8,088.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Here is part three …

It also bears pointing out that quotes by early church fathers as to their belief in the authenticity of the Book of Enoch are not a measure of the authenticity of the version of this Book which survive today. They are on the one hand a statement of faith on their part that a version they may have had available in their own day was authentic; and on the other hand they may have simply been in error. While I may grant that Jude may by no means have been in error, as I count the Scriptures as inerrant, the church fathers were not inerrant, as the belief by Ireneus that Jesus lived to the age of fifty shows, and the belief by Lactantius that the writings of the Sybyls were inspired does show, and who was it that expressed a belief that the Phoenix lived to the age of 500 and then was resurrected, proving the resurrection. I think it was Justin.

I love the early church fathers, and I even find that rediscovering their hearts is a fulfillment of Malachi 4:5-6 to the children of God, when Elijah explains them and the great love and mercy of the heart of God, which is part of the restoration of all things. Reearching them is indispensable for anyone wanting to fully grasp the apostolic faith. But I have never held the ECFs to be inerrant.

We then progress through history and over time questions about canon are discussed in large episcopal councils, not just in individual patristic fragments. Obviously, authenticity of authorship, as expressed in the few examples I have already given of canonical lists, was a concern to some of the early church fathers. Even if their conclusions were wrong, the criteria for canonicity is shown by them. As I already showed you, authenticity was very much an issue. Pseudepigraphal works were out.

These same fathers were not unaware of the epistle of Jude, though some also excluded Jude from their lists for reasons similar to their rejection of 2 and 3 John. It is unclear who this Jude, supposedly the brother of James was. So the picture is not quite so simple as you make out, to say the least. But if we are patient we can sort through it. If you've bothered to write a book, then we can also reason together as faithful Christians to seek the word of the Lord for the benefit of all.

Now in the event that Jude 1:15 was appended to the Book of Enoch to make a current version of this book seem authentic, the insertion would have taken place sometime around 100 A.D. to 200 A.D. This would have given the Christian community sufficient time to accept Judes own epistle as authoritative enough to realize that by quoting from it that one might make a lost Book of Enoch seem authentic.

The only ECF to write prior to this time that makes any allusion to the Book of Enoch is Barnabas. Well, that proposes a problem because Baranabas may also be Pseud0-Barnabas, writing around 100 A.D. or as late as the second half of the second century, rather than the apostle Barnabas himself, writing sometime after 70 A.D, (seeing there is a reference to the destruction of the temple). And if we go with the majority opinion on that question, which is to favor Pseudo status, then we don't really have Baranabas quoting necessarily from the same Book of Enoch that Jude was quoting from, (if in fact Jude had been looking at a book at all, rather than going by oral traditions, which certainly had been sufficient for the Jewish community for the 4000 years prior to Qumran).

And what passage of Enoch does Barnabas actually quote? Well, a little more Internet research shows that where Barnabas 4:3 has Baranabas starting a sentence with "and Enoch says" C.F. Charles did not know what passage Barnabas was referring to and that Lake thought the passages may be related to 1 Enoch 89:61-64;90:17 but are certainly not a quote. If you have any opinion or insight on this matter I would welcome it. But from what I see it is inconclusive to suggest that the version of Enoch Baranabas was quoting from is the same as is presently extant. And in any event, we only retreived a few fragments from chapter 103 of Enoch in Qumran. The rest is copy of copy of copy, etc., as is necessary to preserve any ancient writings, but also contains the risk of much redaction.

The fact that there is a mismatch tends to demonstrate that either Barnabas was just paraphrasing, or the extant versions of this book do not offer anything close to reliable copy. So what then of Barnabas 16:1? Charles identifies Barnabas 16:5 as referring to 1 Enoch 91:13 and 16:6 as referring to 1 Enoch 89:56. Black notes that there is a similarity but that there are differences that show he is drawing from memory or drawing from a Greek version that is different than the extant copies.

While there appears to be better proximity in this second quote, we are still confronted with the fact that Barnabas may not have been writing until, the second half of the second century, at which point he may have been drawing from an already different Book of Enoch than what Jude was quoting from.

So far I have no conclusive evidence for anything. So moving on to the other early fathers advocates of Enoch's canonicity are saying quoted from it or supported it, I will draw from your own list. In addition to Jude and Barnabas you have …

Clement of Alexander
Origen
Tertullian
Anatolus of Laodicea
Ireneas
and Justin Martyrall

referred to the Book of Enoch

(To be continued: In my next and last post I will respond to these one by one …)

Upvote 0

jamescarvin

dummie
Feb 26, 2008
USA
Visit site
✟8,088.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Part Four - last part.

Let's take the Early Church Fathers (ECFs) you listed one by one and see what we have.

Clement of Alexandria
Clement in Stromota 5:1;10:1-2 actually blames the angels for Greek philosophy, which Charles says is in tune with Enoch.But Clement also quotes extensively from the Iliad and also from the Syblene Oracles. I think those were Delphic, if I remember right. Wilson, in his Introductory Notice to his translation of Exhortation to the Heathen says Clement held that philosophy was a "divinely ordered preparation of the Greeks for faith in Christ, as the law was for the Hebrews." This seems consistent to me of many of the ECFs I have read if not said in those words. A quick scan of the footnotes in my copy of this and the Instructor and Stromota shows no quotes. I do see references to deuterocanonical works. He also does quote from "The Preaching of Peter" at Stromata 1:29 and in several places from Hermas. This is not to say he means these are canonical, as he also quotes from a number of philosphers without that intent.

In Stromota 2:15 Enoch is mentioned, but simply as an example of one who repented. And in the same place he quotes from Philo and not long after from Barnabas. In Stromota 3:16 he quotes from 4 Esdras. In Stromota 4:6 he quotes from the so called Apostolic Canons. In Stromota 6:2 he quotes from Sophocles Ajax Flagellifer, a name sake of someone in this thread perhaps worth mentioning, to say "For foes' gifts are no gifts, nor any boon." I hope that you will see despite any reps I have given that we are no foes, but partners in the pursuit of truth. In Stromota 7:14 he quotes from Hyppolitus, which shows he was writing rather late, probably beyond 200 A.D. In Stromota 7:17 he offers the odd opinion that the Lord's ministry after his baptism lasted only one year.

That covers a cursory glance through the footnotes of the Clement of Alexandria section Volume II of the Ante-Nicene Fathers, I possess. (Yes, I do actually own some books. I am just not in the position to buy any at this time). What remains of this volume are fragments, which include some comments on the Epistle of Jude, including comment on verse 14, but ommiting verse 15, which would have been a good opportunity to mention anyting from Enoch, but was missed. (See fragment 1:2 from the Lsatin translation of Cassiodorus). I found nothing in a preliminary skim of about 200 pages refering to Enoch. So I turned to the internet. Boy, somebody at http://www.ntcanon.org/Clement.shtml counted 8000 quotes from non-Biblical sources. But they did not mention Enoch. I looked through a number of other sites and found no mention of Clement speaking of Enoch. So I will assume that I just missed it, even though I can't find any other quotes on the web either, or that the references are to the Latin fragment from Cassiodorus, which does nothing more than quote from Jude as it comments. Maybe you can help me find this. I see several articles mentioning Clement as supporting Enoch, but no actual evidence of it in Clement himself.

All of this would be moot anyway, if the tranistion between an actual Enoch, as quoted by Jude, was simply amended to another corpus of Enoch some time around 125 A.D., which is perhaps what the Ethiopians held on to, and then a Pseudo-Barnabas paraphrased part of. So if I have missed Clements comments or lists from early fathers, who may have been deceived with regard to this book by any clever redaction which added Jude's quote to a book they possessed, we really wind up with little evidence of anything.

Then again, there is no proof either that such an appending of the first chapter did occur. I have no bones to pick regarding this book. I am not taking any sides on this question - just digging for the truth.

Origen
Now if there is any early father who would have been familiar with less popular writings among Christians, such as the Book of Enoch, it would be this third head and superstar of the Alexandria School and Christian Library. I will credit Origen with the Hexapla and offer him my greatest respect for his diligence and commitment. But as many are aware his discernment in some regards was lacking. A person who held that all humans had prenascent souls and that in the apokatastasis that even the demons would be saved is clearly not one who is following after the angelophanies and descriptions of the last days described by 1 Enoch as you have reported them.

If he thought the book ought to be included in canon, don't forget to take note that he found inspiration in practically everything in the created universe that can be attached to allegorization in the heart and mind of a spiritual mystic and genius. I love most especially his commentary on Psalms, Proverbs and the Song of Solomon.

Now on his use of Enoch, my web search shows a possible reference to 1 Enoch 82:9 and 75:3 and 83:10 and some other spots that my previous explanation showed fits fine if the doctoring up of the text had already occurred prior to Origen's writing, rendering the quotes of no final value. However, if the question is whether the book was inspired, his quoting it, I think, is not so important as the following revealing comment he made about it in his Commentary on the parables …

"Let us look at the Gospel now before us. Jordan means 'going down'. 'Jared' is etymologically akin to it, if I may so; it also yields the meaning 'going down'; for Jared was born to Malaleel, as it is written in the Book of Enoch, if anyone cares."

And again in his Caesarean period in his Homily on Numbers 28 he speaks of "booklets called Enoch, which do not appear to be regarded as authoritative among the Jews". And then again in his treatise Against Celsius 5:54, he says "the Books entitled Enoch are not generally held to be divine by the churches."

As typical as it is of Origen to draw from rare sources, I do not think that the statement "if anyone cares" qualifies as a raving endorsement of a book's canonical status. There may be other quotes by him, as he was exceedingly prolific, but seeing these few comments I will move on, and let you supply me with any other relevant comments by him that would present another view, as you are the expert on these matters as a popular author who has studied ancient languages and examined cuniform, and I am just a student.

Tertullian
We now arrive at one of my favorite early fathers, a man not afraid to criticize Rome or to hop on the Pentecostal bandwagon of his day. Would it be surprising if Tertullian or the Montanists he eventually turned to would cherish an apocalyptic thriller that was not being accepted by the episcopal church of his day? No. The prophetic gift of the Paraclete offered an authority that allowed laity to determine for themselves what was inspired and what was not, so with Tertullian, an important issue will not just be finding a quote, but determining whether that quote is pre or post Montanist.

My internet search here shows me Tertullian quoting Enoch 22 in Women and Fallen Angels. This stands alongside other Post-Montanist phase works of his that speak of the role of women - On the Veiling of Virgins, On the Apparel of Women, Exhortation to Chastity, etc. I do not view this as necessarily invalidating his opinions in these works. But to fail to mention the timing of them would be unfair as the question of canonicity is something that for many ought to involve universal acceptance among Christians, not just acceptance by fringe elements. The question then becomes whether the Montanists were more mainstream than the history books have made them out to be. This is very much likely the case, but it doesn't really solve the question of the authenticity of the Book of Enoch, which if my previous explanation that the first chapter was simply appended to an otherwise unaccepted book at the time, to forge it into authority, that these early fathers would not have known the difference and would have had sufficient reason, particularly if they were of a Pentecostal mindset, to latch onto books like this indiscriminately.

I will thus grant that Tertullian did quote from the book extensively and did consider it to be canonical, but must add that the opinion of this one ECF does not bring about anything conclusive on the subject.

Anatolius of Laodacea
Apparently Anatolius quoted from Enoch in order to provide evidence for the proper date for the celbration of Easter in his lost Paschal Canons. We get this from Eusebius 7:32; 14-19. I am not able to find the exact passage Anatolius quoted from without more time researching it. But again, this would have been past the second half of the second century which would have given a forgery with an appended 1st chapter time to set in and circulate.

Ireneus
This prolific father was well apprised of the writings of the whold known world in his day and passed his tradition against all heresies on to his disciple Hyppolitus. Irenaeus did hold to the position of Barnabas and others that there would be a sabbath millennium. I have posted on a list of ECFs elsewhere who held to chiliastic views. This list is much longer than most people realize. However, to suggest that Ireneus held that the Book of Enoch was canonical is an entirely different question.

Ireneus mentions Enoch in AH 4:16.2. Lawlor saw there a reference to (not a quote) 1 Enoch 12:13; 6ff. Charles thought it reminiscent of 1 Enoch 12:4,6; 13 and 14:3-7 as well as 15 and 16. I can tell you from reading the passage that I could have made up the same quote just from Genesis 5 if I threw in an oral tradition or two that I had heard, a possibility given Ireneaus proximity to the apostles through Polycarp. That oral traditions continued and characterized the age is an important factor in considering whether an entire book is canonical as opposed to a few things which may have been said and may be relied upon.

But that's oral tradition, and only the historical churches lay any credence to that. Actually, in this case, I might favor it and speculate that this is an example of it. Just as easily though, I could consider that this is an actual paraphrase from a Book of Enoch or two floating around the neighborhood. So my conclusion is that no conclusion can be drawn from it. The fact that he supposedly quotes it, does not make the book canonical, whether or not the Ethiopians accepted it.

Justin Martyr
Justin, who held that the Archangel Michael as Captain of the Heavenly Host was the Son of God, Jesus the Christ as the Jehovah's Witnesses do, brilliantly asserts that the angels were in charge of administering truth to mankind (2nd Apology ch 5). The corruption of truth he attributes to fallen angels, a thought we found in Clement of Alexandria. Possibly refering to 1 Enoch 19:1 Justin suggests that the demons are the offspring of the fallen angels, not of fallen women though. Tatian, Justin's disciple who turned gnostic, followed this theme in his Hortatory Address to the Greeks. The idea was that the Greek pantheon was equivalent to the fallen angels. It is a twist on Enoch so to say he was quoting him is a stretch. Again, it is not unlikely that he was referencing oral tradition, perhaps some of the same oral traidions that the extant Book of Enoch grew from. Although Justin has similar themes none of the quotes I can find on the web are direct. From what I can find it seems like he is quoting an oral tradition. Possibly this was a variation on a common source. Writing at about 160 A.D., again Justin may be on the tail end of a forgery. It really doesn't matter whether he is quoting from the extant Book of Enoch if that is the case. Justin also does not speak about what books are canonical and does also quote many other non-Biblical sources, as was typical in that day, when the NT canon was still in formation and the apostolic tradition was largely oral anyway.

(one more post on this that couldn't fit …)

Upvote 0

jamescarvin

dummie
Feb 26, 2008
USA
Visit site
✟8,088.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Last post on this for now …

In addition to all the ECFs we discussed, here is a list of Canon lists quoted in full by ECFs and Councils which I found convenient for any interested in pursuing this subject. http://www.bible-researcher.com/canon8.html …

1. The Muratorian Fragment (c. 170). Enoch not listed
  2. Melito (c. 170). Enoch not listed
  3. Origen (c. 240). Enoch not listed
  4. Eusebius of Caesarea (c. 324). Enoch not listed
  5. Cyril of Jerusalem (c. 350). Enoch not listed
  6. Hilary of Poitiers (c. 360). Enoch not listed
  7. The Cheltenham List (c. 360). Enoch not listed
  8. Council of Laodicea (c. 363). Enoch not listed
  9. Letter of Athanasius (367). Enoch not listed
  10. Gregory of Nazianzus (c. 380). Enoch not listed
  11. Amphilocius of Iconium (c. 380). Enoch not listed
  12. The "Apostolic Canons" (c. 380). Enoch not listed
  13. Epiphanius (c. 385). Enoch not listed
  14. Jerome (c. 390). Enoch not listed
  15. Augustine (c. 397). Enoch not listed
  16. Third Council of Carthage (397). Enoch not listed
  17. Rufinus of Aquileia (c. 400). Enoch not listed, but Two Ways and Judgment of Peter are
  18. Codex Claromontanus (c. 400). Included Revelation of Peter, Hermas, and Barnabas, but Enoch not listed
  19. Letter of Innocent I (405). Enoch not listed
  20. Decree of Gelasius (c. 550). Enoch not listed
  21. Synopsis Scripturae Sacrae (c. 550). Enoch not listed
  22. John of Damascus (c. 730). Enoch not listed
  23. Others
The notion that the only reason that Enoch was not included in the Canon by Augustine was because it was a toss up between that and the Book of Revelation deserves further discussion. I have run out of time for the moment to respond to the accuracy of that idea. But I am looking forward to an honest examination of the issue.

Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
You are perhaps unaware of how condescending your post to me was.
(continued …)

i DO NOT LIKE TO 'ARGUE'
FACTS...
BUT MY 'CONDESCENDING' POST
WAS AN IMITATION OF YOURS
TO SEVERAL GOOD FRIENDS OF MINE...

Go back and read the post answers
you gave just before I arrived...
and several since I arrived...

You set yourself up as the expert,
and condescendingly annouced
everyone else was 'naive',
and their ideas were 'imagination'...

You were, in those posts, very uninformed
to many facts, and are finally coming down
off your throne to 'discuss'...

It would have been better not to assume
that everyone else is dumb...

Why not share your facts and questions,
verify whether you are correct or not...

There are going to be many surprises
in heaven, for all of us are going to be
surprised at all we missed in the Word of God...

Don't belittle others,
it does not feel good,
and an illustrated lesson of that
is what you received...

There are several others here,
besides you and I,
who have alot to share...
listen and discuss...
give respect for their study...

perhaps you will find some errors in
what you have thought...
perhaps they will ...
but respect needs to be in the posts...

You can see, the same kind of words coming back at you, did not feel too good...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

I have read and translated many of the early church writings, in my research. The teachings of that early period were abundant in references to books that are not in our current canon.

You quote from some books not in our canon also. It is fine to read books that are harmonious with the Word of God.

Someday, I hope to do a book on the Logia,
the original Hebrew gospel,
predating the Greek gospels...
and oft quoted by the early church ..

There are enough quotes of that book,
that even if a full copy of such is not found,
we could reconstruct it from those quotes.

The early church had revival,
and their 'revivals' put ours to shame...

Sometimes, the problems in our 'revivals'
is our stubbornness, our adherence to
some ideas and teachings that spring from
the religious dark ages of the church....

Enoch is quoted and preached from
abundantly by the early church...
the revival wing of the church...

Many scholars have tried to ignore many
of the writings of the early church,
if they contradict their own chosen dogmas.

When you read a good translation of Enoch,
and really study it...
it is obvious that it is not disagreeing with
any of the current canon.

Take a new look at what Enoch says...
you show in your posts many assumptions,
many ideas that are not valid when
the reality of what Enoch says is found...

Jesus taught the disciples
the things that 'all the prophets' had
taught concerning Him...
Jude, the half brother of Jesus,
who grew up with Jesus,
refers to Enoch being a prophet of Jesus'
second coming...

so...
Jesus must have taught about
Enoch ...

The Bible, includes Jude's statement...
so... God validated that part...

Enoch was one of the prophets
who prophesied about Jesus' coming...

Jesus taught what 'all the prophets'
said concerning Himself...

therefore, basic logic insists
that Jesus had to have taught what
Enoch had to say about Him...

You try to argue that maybe
the quote in Jude is valid,
but the rest of the book is invalid...
and added by the early church...

Not even Jerome made that comment,
nor did Augustine...
they could not get that council to say
it was not Scripture...

that was in the fourth century..

so if the early church had added a line or two,
there would have been objection to it
then or before...

if the early church had added any,
they would have been lying,
claiming Enoch wrote what they
had been author of...
that would be sinful...
and therefore, what they wrote in
sinful condition,
would be unlikely to be harmonious with
the Word of God...

Like the 'gospel of thomas',
and other gnostic forgeries,
the lying 'thomas' did not come up
with vss that were harmonious with the
Word of God...

Neither would forgers in the early church
have forged harmonious passages to Enoch....

Copies of Enoch have been found
in ethiopia, egypt, greece, rome, Israel...
etc...
and since it was already there before Jude
quoted it...
any additions in one area of the world,
would not be in copies in the other areas...

Enoch is consistent in all areas...
different translations, different areas of the
world, and still it is the same book...

Your argument or search for a way to
exclude Enoch from being the same book
quoted by Jude, taught by Jesus,
is not logical.

The early church quoted it oft in the first
century (the century I most love to
study for info)...
and it is obvious that the book of Enoch
was already proven to them to be
consistent with the Word of God...

Get a good translation,
look at what some have studied
to see if it harmonizes with the Word...

I have done many years of translating,
and doing a commentary on the book,
but I am not the only one...
there are others writing, studying,
checking harmony of Enoch with the
Bible...

find one...

Upvote 0

jamescarvin

dummie
Feb 26, 2008
USA
Visit site
✟8,088.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
…

Enoch is quoted and preached from
abundantly by the early church...
the revival wing of the church...
…
Jesus taught the disciples
the things that 'all the prophets' had
taught concerning Him...
Jude, the half brother of Jesus,
who grew up with Jesus,
refers to Enoch being a prophet of Jesus'
second coming...

so...
Jesus must have taught about
Enoch ...

The Bible, includes Jude's statement...
so... God validated that part...

…

Copies of Enoch have been found
in ethiopia, egypt, greece, rome, Israel...
etc...
and since it was already there before Jude
quoted it...
any additions in one area of the world,
would not be in copies in the other areas...

Enoch is consistent in all areas...
different translations, different areas of the
world, and still it is the same book...

Your argument or search for a way to
exclude Enoch from being the same book
quoted by Jude, taught by Jesus,
is not logical.

The early church quoted it oft in the first
century (the century I most love to
study for info)...
and it is obvious that the book of Enoch
was already proven to them to be
consistent with the Word of God...
I'm not sure if you noticed the title I decided to give myself in my profile but I've had it for a while, ever since I became active here at CF. I'm not sure why you thought I ever made myself out to be an expert at aything. I am going to keep the title, dummie, because I may delve into things as I study and do not ever wish to come off as an authority when in fact I am a student. I am not sure what I said that made you feel that I was portraying myself as any sort of an authority, or for that matter, that I was insulting you. If you felt that way, it was never intended.

You make some good points in this post. The ubiquity of copy is certainly an indicator that interpolation may not have taken place. And I will certainly give 1 Enoch another read sometime soon.

The question of forgeries has not been fully hashed out. Here I mean the usage of the name Enoch. Enoch is called "the Scribe of Righteousness" a number of times. This is because, I would assume, the writer(s) wishes to portray that the work is that of Enoch, the one seven generations from Adam, not one of his followers several thousand years later.

Are you telling me that all of the 1st and 2nd century, and some of the 3rd century ECFs believed that this book was actually written by Enoch? Or are you saying that they believed the book to be inspired? These are two very different questions.

Now if there was an oral tradition passed on to Jude through Jesus so we can count the quote of Jude as inspired, then it does not follow that this book is also inspired, except in the one passage quoted and the fact that a few of the ECFs quoted it.

However, if the ECFs unanimously counted the whole book as inspired and then the larger body of the church subsequently decided not to include it in the canon for the sole reason you state this lends credence to the book's inspiration, so long as we have ubiquitous copy so that we can know we are all referring to the same writings.

When I speak of forgeries I am speaking of the fact that the work is probably pseudepigraphal. If it was not pseudepitgraphal I believe the Jews would have accepted it. I will grant that a book can be inspired yet pseudepigraphal within reason. Tobit is thought ahistorical because it speaks of Nebuchadnezer King of Assyria but it was widely accepted in the early church and was retained in the LXX.

Perhaps the Jews excluded 1 Enoch because it contains Messianic prophecy. They did not exclude Psalm 2, even though that Psalm is clearly Messianic, or Psalm 22, and much more. Justin's Dialog with Trypho reveals a wealth of Messianic prophecy contained in the Scriptures the Jews did not reject at Jamnia. They did reject the book of Wisdom, which contains a lengthy Messianic prophecy. But I think Enoch, if it had existed in written form, was originally composed in Hebrew, as the Qumran scrolls indicate. No? Wisdom was only in the Septuagint because it was written in Greek. So what is your opinion of why they rejected Enoch?

On the other hand, perhaps the reason they did not include it was that at the Council in 90 A.D. the work had not yet been compiled. Possibly also, the oral tradition recorded by Jude had not yet been appended to 1 Enoch, which is not itself Messianic. You say that 1st Century opinion counts the most for you. It does for me too. Unfortunately, the only writing we have from ECFs that definitey dates back that far is Clement and Ignatius, maybe Diognetus and the Didache. Some other ECFs may have been old enough to have known the apostles, such as Papias and Polycarp. But I am unaware of any on this short list that quoted from Enoch. With the exception of Jude, ll quotes by ECFs seem to come from the 2nd Century or later, unless we count Baranabas. And Jude, as you have admitted, may have been going by the oral authority of Jesus.

Also, you did not address what portions of 1 Enoch were actually contained in the findings of Qumran. All I have been able to find are three fragments from within chapter 103 found in Q7. I understand that we have Isaiah, but our discussion is about 1 Enoch. My internet searches are not showing that the whole book of 1 Enoch was found in Qumran, as seems to have been implied. If this is incorrect, please let me know what other fragments we have and which portions they correspond with.

That said, suppose there had never been a find in Qumran. Would that make the book any more or less inspired? If it is inspired, it is inspired. If it is not, it is not, independent of any find in Qumran. The Ethiopians certainly accepted it without any such find. But this is a thread in the Biblical Archeology forum. So I am asking questions related to that science. To be told that because Isaiah was authenticated, which I am aware does resolve some issues, such as whether Isaiah referred to a virgin or to a maiden, confirming the LXX over the MT, is one thing. And I follow your logic, but it is a leap from Isaiah to Enoch, which while present, I do not see as being present in whole, but just in a part of one chapter.

And here is yet another question. The Ethiopians accept as canonical 1 and 2 Maccabees, and also a 3 Maccabees. Since the Ethiopians who supposedly were disconnected from the rest of Chrisendom, and in your opinion not a part of the catholic church (lower case "c") or disconnected from the rest of the church somehow, if we accept Enoch as canonical on the basis that the Ethiopians accepted it, does it not follow logically that we should accept the Ethiopian canon in its entirety?

Here is a list of the whole Ethiopian Canon - it includes also Jubilees and 3rd and 4th Ezra, as well as Josippon. Do you believe that all of these are inspired? If so, who do you think wrote these works?

As for me, I have never understood the Ethiopians to be disconnected from the wider church. They rejected the Council of Chalcedon. To say this requires that they were aware of the wider church and I am perhaps guilty of having falsely assumed the opposite is also true. I will have to verify whether any of their bishops were in attendance, if that is possible. I have spent some dialoging on this forum with some Coptic Christians. You may be aware that they are close to achieving a reconciliation with the Orthodox over miaphysitism and miatelethism.

My view, and that of the Orthodox, is that the churches all grew up with a degree of independence until these ecumenical councils came about to determine what the whole church had always taught in all places and resolve various issues, such as the Arian controversy, etc. To refer to the Ethiopians as a lost body of belivers or an unknown Christian community seems a stretch.

Like Protestants, the Orthodox did not accept papal primacy, an issue which increased until 1054 A.D. when the RCC attempted to centralize its control. Both the EO an OO have been much lost to the West, where the RCC and the anti-RCC dominated until immigration began recently.

Perhaps you are referring to a canon other than the Ethiopian Orthodox canon? Even if you are, to speak of a canon you are by nature referring to an enforcement, which implies that there were those in authority. Whether you refer to them as elders or bishops the whole point of a canon is to create uniformity between churches, which is an intrinsicly unisolated process. So I would like it if you could clarify what precisely you are referring to when you speak of the "Ethiopian Canon."

In Orthodoxy, Biblical canon is a local decision. The Syrian Orthodox do not use the book of Revelation to this day. This does not mean that the Syrians are not Orthodox and it does not mean that Syrian Christians are required to believe that the book is not inspired. It means that as a practice they do not read from the book of Revelation during their church services they hold, despite what any great ecumenical council may have said about the Biblical canon. It simply means that in the tradition and long-standing opinion of their bishops, that the book does not edify the church. It is the prerogative of their bishops to maintain that local tradition.

This same right is also asserted by the Ethiopian Christian community, both Copt and Orthodox. The idea that the community is isolated and unknown is not the same as the idea that the community is excercising a traditional local oikonomeia. What I am saying here is the common opinion as it has been related to me and I have understood them in the Orthodox churches I have attended. I do not intend to convey any authority, but make observations. If your opinion is any different I am happy to consider your reasons.

On the issue of revival, I am in great agreement with you. I am very much interested in revival, renewal and reform where needed. This makes me not too popular among the Orthodox. I am praying for a new apostolic age characterized by the power of God accompanied by signs and wonders before our Lord returns. I expect to see this in the ministry of Elijah. The Orthodox always caution about sobriety and spiritual pride. That can be the pot calling the kettle black. However, association with a set of books is not what creates revival. Elijah is a humble man. The two witnesses come wearing sackcloth, which is a form of flagilation, the reason John the Baptist wore camel's hair and ate bees. It is born of repentance. The Lord will not spurn a humble, contrite heart.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The_Joker

Sep 14, 2008
✟245.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
AJAX777 wrote: Belial is the one called "the ruler of this world". The Bible refers to him as "the prince of this world" (John 12:31, 16:11), and as "the god of this world" (II Cor. 4:4). He is the head of the "rulers of the darkness of this world" (Eph. 6:12).

I'm not too sure what Bible you are reading, but in mine none of those scriptures even mentions the name Belial. Nowhere even in the entire chapter, or in the chapters before and after it. It was Satan, not Belial, who tempted Jesus in the wilderness. Who else except for the Prince of the World would have the guts to do that? The scripture does not teach us very much on Belial, but speaks of Satan many many times.

Belial" (which means "being of no ascent") is actually his title. His name is "Metanbuchus" which is from the two Hebrew words "mattan bukah" meaning "the gift of the abyss". This one is half human and half angelic spirit (from the angels that co-habited with women in Genesis creating a race of giants).
Okay, what? Belial hs a half human and half angelic spirit? According to what book? According to what scripture? According to what tradition? Not even on Wikipedia could I find a suggestion that Belial is a hybrid creature. I was starting to think that maybe you thought Satan is Belial, but Satan, obviously, cannot be a hybrid.

"He dwelt in the heart of Manasseh" (9:11), he also inhabited Alexander the Great, and later Jesus bound him to the abyss. Someday, he will be released to inhabit the Antichrist. He is the "gift" of the abyss. A dreadful and horrible gift to return to this earth, but like his name - Metanbuchus - he has a destiny for these last days.

9/11 of what book? I'd seriously like to know. And Belial will inhabit the anti-Christ? Belial inhabited Alexander the Great? According to who? Who says this? What scripture? What ancient book? I found nothing on google that even linked Alexander and Belial together.

Ephesians 6:12 shows different levels of evil spirits.
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against: principalities (fallen arch angels) powers (fallen angels) rulers of the darkness of this world (half-angelic, half human spirits)
wicked spirits in the heavenlies... (pre- adamite human spirits of a creation before Adam)."

I looked into my Bible and it is actually missing all those nice parts about pre-adamite human spirits etc. Guess yours must be a more recent translation?

The rest of all that stuff was too long and tedious to go through, but from just these few paragraphs I suspect its all much speaking but without substance.

Upvote 0

The_Joker

Sep 14, 2008
✟245.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
MURJAHEL WROTE:
AND YET... YOU DID INSULT, AND THE 'KUDOS AND REPS' WERE ADDED TO THE END OF THE INSULTS... IT IS LIKE A PUNCH IN THE FACE, BUT THEN YOU PAT ME ON THE BACK... NO THANKS.

This is totally uncalled for behavior. His original posts were perfectly fine, though they may disagree with your POV. If anyone is insulting, it is you and your friend Ajax. We can disagree respectfully. Even if insulted we can still respond with grace and forgiveness. However, these posts show none of that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0