• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Soul-searching

Jan 27, 2018
Denmark
✟55,820.00
Country
Denmark
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sometimes I worry about things that happened in my life in the past (or are happening now) that I couldn't control and how they might hurt my health now or in the future. I tell myself that no matter what they can't affect my soul, but it doesn't help.
I don't think about these things very often, but if I'm reminded about one of them then I get very upset and fearful and just wish that they had happened differently. :sad:

Is there any way I can stop worrying about this? I know I worry far too much and I want to improve that.

(By the way, I wasn't sure if this would fit better here or in General Mental Health. Feel free to move it if needed.)
It is healthy to reflect on things, but i think we have to get to a point where we find peace with the things in our past, not let it hunt us and that is hard for many of us. Many people have a tendency to block thoughts that hurt them, or make them feel uncomfortable, this is normal behaviour. But i feel it is needed to come to terms of peace with our past, and we only do that by working with the things we want to run away from. It hurts, it is scary, but only by changing the bad into something we can accept we can change everything, so we don´t destroy ourselves.

We all have things in our past we wish we had done differently, we can´t change these things, what is done is done. What we can do is use the past to get to a better future, and we do that by diving into what we have done, getting to a point where we understand why we did why we did, forgiving ourselves, and letting it go, so it won´t have that power over us anymore, but just becomes a life experience. We have to look at things differently to do that.

Everything in life molds us, this is what this life is about. Life is not only about good things, life is about bad things too. We can use the bad things to know the difference betweeen good and bad, and understand why we react the way we do. If we change our thoughts to accept every good or bad things in our lives then we change how we think, and that is the point to get over hard things.

You wont gaine anything by hitting yourself in the head, what´s done is done, you can´t change it no matter how much you like to, it´s a matter of accepting, and looking at it differently. You can learn from this, every situation we go through teaches us things, important lessons in life we are supposed to use to become better people. Don´t be so hard on yourself. Life is so short, no one knows if we will be here tomorrow. We should never take a single day for granted, we should make the best of every day, and not think so much of what we can´t control, what will hapen, happens regardless. We should look at life as a life long school where we learn everyday. Sometimes we fail, and yes, sometimes the choises we make hunts us for a long time, but maybe those choises we made were supposed to happen for a reason. At least it can teach us something. Sometimes we are so hard on ourselves, we should learn to forgive ourselves, just like we forgive others.

• Friendly
Reactions: Multifavs
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Sometimes I worry about things that happened in my life in the past (or are happening now) that I couldn't control and how they might hurt my health now or in the future. I tell myself that no matter what they can't affect my soul, but it doesn't help.
I don't think about these things very often, but if I'm reminded about one of them then I get very upset and fearful and just wish that they had happened differently. :sad:

Is there any way I can stop worrying about this? I know I worry far too much and I want to improve that.

(By the way, I wasn't sure if this would fit better here or in General Mental Health. Feel free to move it if needed.)
The Lord told us not to worry.

Upvote 0