✟7,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi!

I'm brand new to the forum because I was looking for an anonymous place to ask my question. This seems to be a great community though and hopefully I'll stick around!

Here's my situation:

Recently I was bored... okay very bored... waiting in doctors office with nothing but my phone and started browsing twitter. I admit I was "stalking" my church youth / family minister on his Twitter page. (I was stalking others as well)

I just happened to look on his "likes" (like I said I was stalking his page) and... my church youth minister has "liked" (obviously accidental) a inappropriate contentographic (yes clearly inappropriate content, trust me on that) video on Twitter. The "like" is still there though its been a few days.

I was wondering if maybe he was hacked but in researching twitter that has never happened so I honestly don't think that's he case. There is probably more of a chance someone stole his phone and did that maliciously and he hasn't realized it. There is also a chance he was not hacked and he was watching the video and accidently pressed like.

What would you personally do in this situation?

I want to add that he a great youth minister.

• Useful
Reactions: DennisTate

splish- splash

Team- Early Interventions
Dec 2, 2019
✟225,571.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi!

I'm brand new to the forum because I was looking for an anonymous place to ask my question. This seems to be a great community though and hopefully I'll stick around!

Here's my situation:

Recently I was bored... okay very bored... waiting in doctors office with nothing but my phone and started browsing twitter. I admit I was "stalking" my church youth / family minister on his Twitter page. (I was stalking others as well)

I just happened to look on his "likes" (like I said I was stalking his page) and... my church youth minister has "liked" (obviously accidental) a inappropriate contentographic (yes clearly inappropriate content, trust me on that) video on Twitter. The "like" is still there though its been a few days.

I was wondering if maybe he was hacked but in researching twitter that has never happened so I honestly don't think that's he case. There is probably more of a chance someone stole his phone and did that maliciously and he hasn't realized it. There is also a chance he was not hacked and he was watching the video and accidently pressed like.

Hello :wave: & welcome to CF... Say suppose he does watch inappropriate content, still I wouldn't stress about it too much as all God's children,
will struggle in one way or another with sin up until they get delivered. You do know some Ministers also struggle with inappropriate content, masturbation and lust etc right? That doesn't make him a bad person, it's just an area that The Lord is still working on. Meanwhile remember to say a little prayer for him

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Is this his personal account or one affiliated with the church? At first glance, I’d posit most pastors assume people are behaving as you’ve done and wouldn’t openly acknowledge inappropriate content use in that manner.

~Bella

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi!
Here's my situation:Recently I was bored... okay very bored... waiting in doctors office with nothing but my phone and started browsing twitter. I admit I was "stalking" my church youth / family minister on his Twitter page. (I was stalking others as well)

We are judged by the good we do for other people and how we treat them
as we'd like to be treated ourselves. So do that.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Hi!

Here's my situation:

Ask him. Say you checked out his Twitter page and there it was. See if his face gets beet red. Ask to see his boss too. It's a big deal. It's this kind of stuff that people ignore and years later horrible stuff eventually comes out. Don't worry that you were bored and 'stalking'. He put it there for the world to see. And you found it. Not your fault. Such things need to see the light of day.

Upvote 0

Billy UK

Dec 21, 2019
Somewhere
✟34,594.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Id say be careful eitherway as lust could appear to be influencing you both.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi!

Here's my situation:

Possible that it was liked by mistake. On Facebook, I must have accidentally liked some items in my feed that I was just trying to scroll past, because I have no idea how I liked them.

Possible that his account was hacked. A good hacker will wait at least a few weeks before really, visibly causing trouble.

Possible that the video is misleading (unless you verified by watching it). I'm not coming after you if you did, but stuff like that exists and too many Christians still like the trend of liking/promoting something that looks shocking and un-Christian at first glance, but it's actually something Christian masquerading as something worldly. Sometimes that can be done, but I think it's been overdone in the last 15 years.

Ask him. Say you checked out his Twitter page and there it was. See if his face gets beet red. Ask to see his boss too. It's a big deal. It's this kind of stuff that people ignore and years later horrible stuff eventually comes out. Don't worry that you were bored and 'stalking'. He put it there for the world to see. And you found it. Not your fault. Such things need to see the light of day.
I would say it's best to frame it as suspicion that his account got hacked, and that's the reason you think it may have been hacked. If he was hacked, he can take action. If it wasn't hacked, that's a shot across the bow, and it may prompt him to repent.

Upvote 0

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟485,792.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I would quietly let him know so that he can fix the problem - whatever it might be.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi!

Here's my situation:

If you care about his eternal welfare, then you should do something about it. At the very least, you have to resolve it somehow in your own mind. If you shrug it off, he might be in spiritual danger or his reputation at risk.

So then, a way to approach it is in a friendly manner. You might say to him "hey, did you know that your handle did a 'like' on a inappropriate content video on twitter?" That doesn't point directly to him, it merely states an observable fact. It's then up to him to either "hem-haw" around it (as guilty), or "WHAT?" deny, or say he needs to investigate it, or ask you to show him (as innocent). After all, there could be a handle problem.

Being a great youth minister doesn't preclude innocence. But reputation is also at stake.
TD:)

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
i don't think he's stupid enough to have done it. maybe somebody else did it, like you were saying.
You would be surprised. There are many very clever and very bold perverts out there. Sure they make an occasional mistake, but they can be very convincing to others that they are clean as a whistle. All the while they watch their inappropriate content, recruit youth for their escapades, and hide it almost perfectly. Don't pretend that because someone calls himself a Christian that they aren't a danger to others around them. If you see something say something. If you don't, what might you have enabled?

Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

Rebecca4Christ

Servant
Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2019
Central U.S.
✟129,167.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Matthew 18:15-17 NASB

15 “If your brother sins[a], go and show him his fault [c]in private; if he listens to you, you have won your brother. 16 But if he does not listen to you, take one or two more with you, so that by the mouth of two or three witnesses every [d]fact may be confirmed. 17 If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as [e]a Gentile and [f]a tax collector.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,652.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi!

Here's my situation:

I would report it to whoever oversee's the youth minister, i.e. the church pastor. In matters related to people in authority, especially over minors, it is important that the leader is displaying self control. If he is using pron, he is in my opinion to weak to help other youth. In fact it is a spiritual danger, if he can not control his sexuality, who is to say he can control it when around young women.

Upvote 0

Rachel728

Jan 19, 2020
Texas
✟7,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank-you all for your responses. I know your time is valuable.

As of right now I still have not done anything and am indecisive I guess. Would it be wrong if I said nothing at all? Would it be wrong to send him an anonymous message that just said "I think your account got hacked, but if it didn't I would urge you to get help."

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thank-you all for your responses. I know your time is valuable.

As of right now I still have not done anything and am indecisive I guess. Would it be wrong if I said nothing at all? Would it be wrong to send him an anonymous message that just said "I think your account got hacked, but if it didn't I would urge you to get help."
Hi; I've had very strange emails from Godly people I know who turned out not to have written them at all...

• Useful
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Earlier, you wrote that "I just happened to look on his "likes" (like I said I was stalking his page)…."

It seems to me that there are several good reasons for not sending the message you asked about a few minutes ago. But if you can monitor his "likes" as easily as you seem to be saying here, then you could do that for awhile in order know for sure if he is doing what you suspect.

If you don't find any more evidence over a certain period of time, you will have to consider that it might have been someone else, an accident, or something else that you have wondered about.

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi!

Here's my situation:

I occasionally accidentally like something just scrolling past on my phone, so its always possible for it to have been a mistake.

Also, you may try to give one rating and accidentally hitting another - is there a negative rating next to the positive on Twitter? If so perhaps he was going for the negative.. I'm on a site where the red disagree button is next to the green agree button, and accidentally hitting the wrong one is a very real possibility.

You might like to keep an eye out, and see if this was just an anomaly... if so, if this isn't repeated behavior then it was likely an innocent mistake of some kind.

• Informative
Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0