catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,156,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's not good, it's harmful even, for one person to post a dozen or more new threads every day, in that it tends to crowd out other new threads by other people, some of whom might be making urgent prayer requests or such, say about 20 hours since we have last visited the site, so that if one person has during that 20 hours made 12 or 15 or more new threads, that urgent prayer request can become basically invisible to most people looking for new threads.

Of course, it's not only urgent prayer requests that can be made invisible by one person posting 15 new threads, but even just ordinary fellowship threads someone makes, where we have a chance to join in and practice "love one another" together, so the problem isn't only about what is urgent, but also about what is best.

Brad D.

A Way Unknown
Aug 22, 2022
US
✟106,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's not good, it's harmful even, for one person to post a dozen or more new threads every day, in that it tends to crowd out other new threads by other people, some of whom might be making urgent prayer requests or such, say about 20 hours since we have last visited the site, so that if one person has during that 20 hours made 12 or 15 or more new threads, that urgent prayer request can become basically invisible to most people looking for new threads.

Of course, it's not only urgent prayer requests that can be made invisible by one person posting 15 new threads, but even just ordinary fellowship threads someone makes, where we have a chance to join in and practice "love one another" together, so the problem isn't only about what is urgent, but also about what is best.

This seems wise and thoughtful to all who post and desire to share. It is the most loving selfless way IMO. Perhaps also it would enrich the content, drawing people to use their post on the things that count most to them. A daily limit of 3 would seem adequate. What do others think?

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟836,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Within a Church community forum it should be allowed.

But to avoid clogging a reference could be made 'and 5 more...' and these only appear on request.
I think this is helpful. If someone is posting tons of threads in a particular forum, then only a few should show in the general list. People who are interested will go to that forum because they know there will be a ton of cool stuff to engage. But the reality is, one poster posting tons of threads pushes out a lot of content that nobody will see.

Upvote 0

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟378,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
I agree. I've noticed this for years. One person can post a dozen threads in one day and crowd out all of the other content on the new threads page. Yes, you can view more posts, but it can still push new threads out of the new threads page.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,010.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree. I've noticed this for years. One person can post a dozen threads in one day and crowd out all of the other content on the new threads page. Yes, you can view more posts, but it can still push new threads out of the new threads page.
Do we still have a new threads list or are they mixed in with new posts? Thanks

Upvote 0

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟378,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Do we still have a new threads list or are they mixed in with new posts? Thanks
I think it's now under Latest Activity, but you have to check the Thread checkbox on the right, under the Filter section.

• Informative
Reactions: Hank77
Hank77
Hank77
Thanks! Found it right next to the latest activity. The trick is to click on the Forums heading rather than the drop-down menu, at least that is why I wasn't seeing it. Thanks again.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟437,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Until reading this thread, I did not realize that we have a problem with persons starting too many threads in one day.
I suppose it is just that I do not frequent the subforms where this behavior is happening often.

So I guess because I fellowship in different subforums here, my opinion differs on this subject.

As a regular visitor to the "One Bread, One Body" subforum, we have at least one regular member there who often posts many new threads each day. The threads she posts are generally very informative, covering a wide spectrum of topics, often generating productive discussion and fun and supportive fellowship amongst the membership there. I do not know exactly how many threads she starts each day ... it varies ... but I truly would not want to see her posting behavior to have to change due to a 'daily thread limit' rule.

I think such a rule in the "One Bread, One Body" subforum would not 'add to', but would rather "take away" from, some of the enjoyment and blessing many of us currently seem to be experiencing there, though of course I can only speak for myself, a regular visitor there.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Proud Citizen of Moralton
Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Until reading this thread, I did not realize that we have a problem with persons starting too many threads in one day.
I suppose it is just that I do not frequent the subforms where this behavior is happening often.
I think the issue for most folks is that when they go to check "New Threads", which applies to all sub-forums, it is sometimes engulfed in posts from one person. If you aren't interested in what's new in any other sub-forums, then you likely wouldn't care.

As a regular visitor to the "One Bread, One Body" subforum, we have at least one regular member there who often posts many new threads each day. The threads she posts are generally very informative, covering a wide spectrum of topics, often generating productive discussion and fun and supportive fellowship amongst the membership there. I do not know exactly how many threads she starts each day ... it varies ... but I truly would not want to see her posting behavior to have to change due to a 'daily thread limit' rule.

I think such a rule in the "One Bread, One Body" subforum would not 'add to', but would rather "take away" from, some of the enjoyment and blessing many of us currently seem to be experiencing there, though of course I can only speak for myself, a regular visitor there.

A limit on the number of new threads wouldn't be a limit on the amount of content a person is allowed to post. If a person wants to act as a newsfeed, then they can simply make one new thread each day, and post all of the articles they find interesting in that one thread. A policy that restricts new threads would only be a reorganizing of content, not a limiter of content.

Everyone would be able to post as many articles as they like, anyone interested in discussing any of those articles would be able to discuss them as much as they like, and the "New Threads" features would be more useful.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟310,339.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There are people who spent a lot of work putting together new posts only to have them disappear to the bottom of the list in moments. I'm not sure how it works with the new layout but years ago there were people who would go through the forums answering each thread with a one liner that pushed everything else out of sight. This reminds me of that.

Upvote 0

Brad D.

A Way Unknown
Aug 22, 2022
US
✟106,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think @public hermit and @Carl Emerson had some good thoughts on the the church community forums or also @Moral Orel would be another way to keep that content those communities enjoy while keeping the general new thread board freed up, more equitable, and fair for all.

As a writer I can vouch that it is not easy work sometimes. There can be long hours in HIs word and sitting before Him to birth something you truly feel He has put in you to write. And then when I post it I feel as though I lay it out on the Table for others to enjoy, hopefully eat of it's bread and be nourished and encouraged. So when it disappears so quickly it is a bit disheartening. It's kind of like somebody took your dish you brought to the pot luck and had worked on all day and took it back to the kitchen and put it in the fridge LOL. It's back there available, but no one is going to look for it.

With that said, I always pray, and know the Holy Spirit can bring anyone who may be blessed to come, who needs to, even if it is in the fridge ha! . So I do put it in His hands. But perhaps it is something we all can think about. keeping the content everyone loves and enjoys, but just figuring out a more balanced way to handle it all. That's all, because as it relates to the Catholic board I have been there at times myself and have enjoyed or found interesting some of the articles also.

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟437,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think the issue for most folks is that when they go to check "New Threads", which applies to all sub-forums, it is sometimes engulfed in posts from one person. If you aren't interested in what's new in any other sub-forums, then you likely wouldn't care.
Though it's not an issue for me, I do comprehend what persons here are saying is their difficulty. :)

For the record, the OBOB subforum is not my 'home' subforum ... I visit assorted subforums regularly.
So when I want to see newer threads that may be in in any subforum, I just scroll down the list to see what is there ...

I do at times see threads listed that are totally of no interest to me, so I just pass by them and move on to the next ...

I took the time to mention the OBOB subforum because discussion and fellowship work exceptionally well there.
That makes it an edifying place to visit. Personally, I'd like to see that not change.

Just my opinion ...
:)

• Friendly
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟437,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A limit on the number of new threads wouldn't be a limit on the amount of content a person is allowed to post. If a person wants to act as a newsfeed, then they can simply make one new thread each day, and post all of the articles they find interesting in that one thread. A policy that restricts new threads would only be a reorganizing of content, not a limiter of content.

Everyone would be able to post as many articles as they like, anyone interested in discussing any of those articles would be able to discuss them as much as they like, and the "New Threads" features would be more useful.
Thanks for offering a suggestion ... I believe you are meaning to be helpful ...
but what you suggest (a daily newsfeed) sounds messy and cumbersome and frankly, impersonal.

... but again, thanks for the suggestion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟310,339.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There's a new aspect of unanswered threads that I can see some people taking up as a ministry to perhaps. The unanswered threads is also cluttered because most of the obob news threads are not responded to also. Those who are awaiting council are being buried also.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Proud Citizen of Moralton
Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for offering a suggestion ... I believe you are meaning to be helpful ...
but what you suggest (a daily newsfeed) sounds messy and cumbersome and frankly, impersonal.

... but again, thanks for the suggestion.

As to being "impersonal" I don't really disagree. The posts you and I are talking about are just links to articles and a quote from them, so I felt that "newsfeed" was an apt description already. I rarely, if ever, see anything written by the thread creator in the opening post, so it doesn't seem personal the way it is now, honestly.

But "messy and cumbersome" I have to disagree. It's the exact same content, only separated and organized by posts instead of threads. Spreading things out into a large area is messy and cumbersome. Organizing and confining things to one location is less messy and cumbersome. Imagine a desk with one binder full of documents, or a desk with every document spread out over the surface.

Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟437,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm not sure how it works with the new layout but years ago there were people who would go through the forums answering each thread with a one liner that pushed everything else out of sight. This reminds me of that.
lol! Though the posting new threads behavior does not remind me of that posting behavior of years ago,
I surely do remember those old days on CF!

(Was abit like the Wild West! lol lol!)
:oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟437,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
But "messy and cumbersome" I have to disagree. It's the exact same content, only separated and organized by posts instead of threads. Spreading things out into a large area is messy and cumbersome. Organizing and confining things to one location is less messy and cumbersome. Imagine a desk with one binder full of documents, or a desk with every document spread out over the surface.

I was one of those organized kind of office gals.
I had bosses that were organized, and it worked well for them ...
and I also had bosses who were unorganized, and it also worked well for them.
I guess it gets back to how a person best likes to view and receive information.

:cool:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.