Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Hello,:wave:

I'm wondering what it means when people say "the sacramental life of the Church" and participation in it.

There's a form for something that's asking if I participate in the sacramental life of the Church regularly, occasionally, or infrequently. I go to Mass weekly; I'd go daily if I could. I really care about my faith and believe all the dogmas and moral teachings of the Church. However, I haven't received Communion in a (long :() while for various reasons (first my scrupulosity got very bad when I moved back from university, then after various struggles when I decided to speak with a particular priest, the car got broken and I had no way of travelling to that parish (it's not my home parish so it's further and I can't walk there), then I didn't feel ready for Confession and took a while going over what I want to confess..). Now, I finally feel ready and I'm planning on going to Confession this or next week, as soon as I can (and it doesn't have to be that parish though I want to eventually speak to that priest), and then to receive Communion and keep on receiving regularly, with the help of my confessor.

I am not sure about the form though.. If "regularly" is checked off, would that be incorrect since I haven't been to Communion in some time? But if "occasionally" or "infrequently" are checked off, then it makes me sound like a "Christmas and Easter" Catholic when I care about my faith and go to Mass. I don't know if "participation in Sacramental life" means going to Mass, or Communion. I don't want to lie but no answer seems to fit.

By the way, I really hope this won't turn into a discussion about scrupulosity. I know that it's bad that I've been away from the Eucharist for so long, it's honestly been months. I always feel very very sad about that. I've already decided to go to Confession as soon as I can, and then to receive Communion, and then get guidance from my confessor so I can keep on receiving Communion afterwards. I'm just wondering about the form. :)

Does anyone have any thoughts? What would you put if you were in this situation? I really miss Communion and I wish all this hadn't happened :(

Thanks!

Last edited:

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I'm in trouble then...hmm.. If I start receiving Communion again before I send this form, I don't know if that would qualify for "regular".

I have went to Confession though, during this time when I haven't been receiving Communion. Confession is a Sacrament.... lol it's hard to figure out what to put, when I have been receiving one Sacrament but not the other. If I put "occasional", that would make it sound like I go to Confession maybe two times a year and go to Mass every two months, when that's not the case at all. "Infrequent" is like Christmas and Easter and Confession once every 5 years if at all. I've been "regular" in everything except Communion..hopefully I'll regularly receive Communion again soon, but not sure what to do about the form meanwhile.

I did find this: http://www.bostoncatholic.org/Being-Catholic/Content.aspx?id=11344

Last edited:
Upvote 0
E

Etheldreda

It's great to hear you're ready to see your confessor, I hope that goes well...

As for the response to the question, it's hard to say without knowing the context of the question on the form and it sounds like the wording is a bit ambiguous. Are you able to ask for clarification before you answer the question? (For example, if they're trying to work out if you're a practising Catholic, then it sounds like the 'regular' box fits best, but it really depends on what they need the info for...)

BTW - it's fine to attend Mass without receiving communion every week. This counts as fulfilling the Sunday obligation, as long as you receive communion yearly.

'The Church obliges the faithful to take part in the Divine Liturgy on Sundays and feast days and, prepared by the sacrament of Reconciliation, to receive the Eucharist at least once a year, if possible during the Easter season. But the Church strongly encourages the faithful to receive the holy Eucharist on Sundays and feast days, or more often still, even daily'.

'The Church warmly recommends that the faithful receive Holy Communion when they participate in the celebration of the Eucharist; she obliges them to do so at least once a year.'

Upvote 0

Gwendolyn

back in black
Jan 28, 2005
Canada
✟20,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I'm in trouble then...hmm.. If I start receiving Communion again before I send this form, I don't know if that would qualify for "regular".

I have went to Confession though, during this time when I haven't been receiving Communion. Confession is a Sacrament.... lol it's hard to figure out what to put, when I have been receiving one Sacrament but not the other. If I put "occasional", that would make it sound like I go to Confession maybe two times a year and go to Mass every two months, when that's not the case at all. "Infrequent" is like Christmas and Easter and Confession once every 5 years if at all. I've been "regular" in everything except Communion..hopefully I'll regularly receive Communion again soon, but not sure what to do about the form meanwhile.

I did find this: Archdiocese of Boston Sacramental Life of the Church

Well, if you've been receiving sacraments, then you are participating.

The question didn't say, "do you receive communion regularly?"

I don't receive communion regularly, either.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟439,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

I did find this: Archdiocese of Boston Sacramental Life of the Church

Maybe this will help your scrupulosity [or not] but venial sins really dont count towards not receiving. [Something i struggled with and i am over coming because at what point is it venial - habit - or mortal.]
After my priest getting it thru my head - you are ok. the Eucharist helps us to avoid mortal sins so it is important to keep going - and personally i go at least once a month to confession - perhaps more - being he knows how i am.

I am a work in progress - but i feel i need the Eucharist and if i wait to take it because i am not good enough - then Christ gave humanity the covenant for nought since none of us are immaculate.

IMO - you should be taking it so you can have the graces that help us overcome the struggles.
We need Him... and if He came for only the perfect - then none of us could go.

Unless you truly do not care [apathy] about your sins - then i am sure you are worthy.
And i am sure your priest is helping you see [as mine said] that scrupulosity is a sin - so be careful not to be over zealous with yourself or too hard.

Receive Him - He waits.

God Bless you.

Upvote 0

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Thanks everyone :hug:

I was told that you could receive Communion with venial sin, and I've done that in the past.. the reason I didn't receive Communion this time, is first I felt like everything was a mortal sin again, then I felt very unsure/confused if I should even be Catholic (this came back several times but it doesn't come from intellectual disagreement on anything and is more of a worry), then I had questions I needed to sort out with a priest, and then I couldn't get to Confession because I couldn't get transportation and then the car broke lol. It's so frustrating cause something happened each time. I went to Confession though, in the summer and the fall. But it's like the enemy was really keeping me away from Communion. :( I just want this to stop happening. My intention is to go to Confession and Communion as soon as I can and then begin receiving regularly again... I really need the Eucharist. I'll ask my priest about the form, he's actually the one who is supposed to be filling it out but he'll probably be asking me questions first which is why I wanted to check. I'll just tell him what happened and hopefully by that time I'll be receiving Communion, and he can decide what to write. If there's an issue, I guess I could wait a little till I am participating regularly again, and then come back with the form. I don't know..

The form is for a job and I think they're trying to see if I'm a practicing Catholic, and if I even go to church and believe the Church teachings. Which I do.. it's just all this that's complicated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟439,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The closer you are to the Lord - the more the enemy will attack you.
Be flattered - i know that sounds whacked - but really it means you are doing it right.

The enemy wants nothing more than ship wreck your faith because of the extreme love you have for the Lord. AND to tell you that you are committing mortal sin because he is planting seeds of doubt.

Saints before you were plagued with such issues. The average Joe has been too. You are not on the wrong path - but what typically occurs when ppl have strong faith - satan pays much more attention.

Because not only you love God - but the good fruits you produce.
He has no real power but to keep transmitting these things to you because he knows your weaknesses,

Give him the heave ho.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟439,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
FWIW - when you recognize whats going on - he will attack you in other ways.
Life will be difficult. Take heart - your path is straight and 'narrow' but it is the right one...or you would not have a single problem. I promise you.

Upvote 0