Rockford
✟15,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hi - I have been backsliding for a while now and fell into a season of sin. I have tried to surrender to and love God most of my adult life - at least I think I have. I have experienced wonderful times of peace and grace and blessing, but I think I've really taken it all for granted. I really haven't gone out of my way to serve God the way I should, even though when I was first saved, I loved him so much I thought I would do anything for him. Looking back on the last few years of my life has shown me that I really haven't followed through on that devotion. I've enjoyed the feelings of peace and love and being lead by the Holy Spirit, but all my grand plans to honor God with my life haven't really come to fruition. Mother Theresa said, "we can do no great things, only small things with great love", but I've been too complacent to even do that a lot of the time.

I mean, I sincerely believe that I love Jesus, but Jesus says, "if you love me you will follow my commands". Faith without works is dead. My works have not honored God. I mean, I don't intentionally hurt anybody, but I don't love anybody the way I should, either. Not the way Jesus commanded it.

The whole time I was backsliding, I had this attitude of "it's ok - Jesus loves me anyway - I know Jesus will rescue me". Then suddenly, I had a glaring glimpse of the extent of my sin. Now I feel very strongly the conviction of the Holy Spirit - I have really sinned, and I don't even know if I'm capable of grasping the full extent to which I have sinned.

But now I'm wondering if I have really finally gone too far in running away from the Lord. I mean, what if this horrible feeling in my heart isn't the conviction of the Holy Spirit? What if it is that I've really gone too far. Jesus said, "any branch in me that doesn't bear fruit will be cut off by my Father where it will whither and is good for nothing but to be thrown into the fire." What if this horrible feeling isn't the Holy Spirit convicting me of sin that I can repent from; what if it is condemnation?

I'm afraid that even if I repent, when I feel forgiven, I'll fall right back into complacency. I've shown God over and over that that's what I do. Does that mean that my heart is too hardened to truly return? I think I've committed blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. After so many years of feeling secure in my salvation, I'm afraid that I may have lost it.

I need wise, biblical counsel.

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Rom 8:37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
Rom 8:38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
Rom 8:39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Only the Holy Spirit convicts of sin---no Holy Spirit=no conviction. It is not too late. It is one of Satan's lies to keep you from returning to God. Keep praying for the love of God to fill you.

Upvote 0

Mrs.PGL

Site Supporter
Dec 12, 2015
windsor ontario
✟69,644.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi - I have been backsliding for a while now and fell into a season of sin. I have tried to surrender to and love God most of my adult life - at least I think I have. I have experienced wonderful times of peace and grace and blessing, but I think I've really taken it all for granted. I really haven't gone out of my way to serve God the way I should, even though when I was first saved, I loved him so much I thought I would do anything for him. Looking back on the last few years of my life has shown me that I really haven't followed through on that devotion. I've enjoyed the feelings of peace and love and being lead by the Holy Spirit, but all my grand plans to honor God with my life haven't really come to fruition. Mother Theresa said, "we can do no great things, only small things with great love", but I've been too complacent to even do that a lot of the time.

I mean, I sincerely believe that I love Jesus, but Jesus says, "if you love me you will follow my commands". Faith without works is dead. My works have not honored God. I mean, I don't intentionally hurt anybody, but I don't love anybody the way I should, either. Not the way Jesus commanded it.

The whole time I was backsliding, I had this attitude of "it's ok - Jesus loves me anyway - I know Jesus will rescue me". Then suddenly, I had a glaring glimpse of the extent of my sin. Now I feel very strongly the conviction of the Holy Spirit - I have really sinned, and I don't even know if I'm capable of grasping the full extent to which I have sinned.

But now I'm wondering if I have really finally gone too far in running away from the Lord. I mean, what if this horrible feeling in my heart isn't the conviction of the Holy Spirit? What if it is that I've really gone too far. Jesus said, "any branch in me that doesn't bear fruit will be cut off by my Father where it will whither and is good for nothing but to be thrown into the fire." What if this horrible feeling isn't the Holy Spirit convicting me of sin that I can repent from; what if it is condemnation?

I'm afraid that even if I repent, when I feel forgiven, I'll fall right back into complacency. I've shown God over and over that that's what I do. Does that mean that my heart is too hardened to truly return? I think I've committed blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. After so many years of feeling secure in my salvation, I'm afraid that I may have lost it.

You said, "Then suddenly, I had a glaring glimpse of the extent of my sin." I would say that was the Lord "rescuing" you and showing His love for you.
Repent of your sin, and move on - anything else would be works, and you don't want to get into that mess.

Upvote 0

ml5363

Jan 6, 2016
Tennessee
✟28,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hebrews 12:3-8

He chastised his children..as a phrase my pastor likes to use, he will take us to the woodshed if we need it...the fact that he is convicted you means, it isn't too late, you can keep going back on His path, but more importantly that He loves you.

Look up the song " when God ran"

I love it...I came up on my 20th spiritual birthday back in October..I struggled for awhile on how badly I have failed him, we can never do enough, nor will we be able to repay him, but at the end of the day, I am still his child, and he still loves me...lowly me...

Also check out another song " something worth"

Upvote 0

Leeabc

Apr 29, 2017
Rockford
✟15,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Thank you all. This experience has been really scary. I know that satan can keep us from returning by making us too afraid to return. Which means I obviously haven't been perfected in love. I just really feel like I have let God down. He has given me every kind of blessing and grace and opportunity to follow him wholeheartedly. I don't know why I have so much trouble surrendering. I know that apart from him I can do nothing, but pride creeps in anyway and leads me astray.

Upvote 0

PKFox

Child of God
Apr 24, 2017
Michigan
✟20,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you all. This experience has been really scary. I know that satan can keep us from returning by making us too afraid to return. Which means I obviously haven't been perfected in love. I just really feel like I have let God down. He has given me every kind of blessing and grace and opportunity to follow him wholeheartedly. I don't know why I have so much trouble surrendering. I know that apart from him I can do nothing, but pride creeps in anyway and leads me astray.
Everyone has trouble following God at one point or another, and we all may feel led astray at times. What's important is that you keep coming back to Him and repenting and asking for forgiveness for your sins, even if you've asked Him a thousand times before, because He is willing to forgive us. I think what matters is that we TRY to live for Him, even if we fail over and over, because that means we are giving God our best, and that's what He deserves.

God bless.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Leeabc your saved by grace..not by what you did or do or will ever do ok? Now the word says.. if we say we have no sin then we deceive our selfs and the truth is not in us. In collage I was listening to the radio (MANY years ago) this pastor( famous one) comes on and says "I dont think anyone has sinned as much as me. Just dust your self off and keep going". That is.. you repent. We are ALL working ..running that race.. to Him. And you dont get there and then say "LOOK AT ME! I stopped sinning. I did it.. ME ME ME" For its written no flesh will glory in His sight. Now we are free from sin. It has no right to control us. But we are stil in the flesh. And this flesh still loves to sin.

Now.. the word says.. and this is GOD talking to you to all of us ok? There is no more condemnation to them in Christ Jesus. And when your HEART like now condemns you? Guss what as it is written.. He is greater then your heart. So.. yes.. you just give it to Him....I want to say sorry but not the right word.. well sorry but.. He is NOT going to punish you..not judge you..not condemn you. Now.. SEE THAT..

You say I DID THIS I THOUGHT that.. I walked in sin for SO LONG! He says.. with arms wide open.. tears.. not because YOU made Him sad but the fact you DONT Know how much HE LOVES YOU! He says.. thats why I DIED! JESUS is real.... so when you say sorry.. aka repent.. HE does in fact forgive you.. that means.. He is NOT like any man. He forgives and it NEVER EVER happen. And then cleanses you from ALL not some but ALL unrighteousness.

Now.. do you believe in Jesus? YES? Ok.. it is written you are NOW not some day when we FEEL like it.. but you are NOW in right standing with GOD thats your FATHER. You are righteous. That is with out sin. See your Father sees you through what Christ did on the cross. So GET UP.. you have been SET FREE! And NO sin ever gets past the blood of a GOD! No we can not freely walk in sin. For if we love Him we obey Him. But JESUS is real. Stop seeing the past.. see what HE sees. He set you free.. ALL THINGS have become brand new. Its NOT what you FEEL ...you walk by FAITH! Thats means.. shhhhhh just BELIEVE.

You are so loved and the ENEMY is trying to steal your joy. Jesus told us.. when the truth the WORD comes satan comes RIGHT THEN to take it! Dont let HIM! How? Speak HIS WORD. Find what His word says.. like you get scared. You think your so far gone that He cant find you <---good luck with that. But you say.. NO! its written God has not given me the spirit of fear but of power and love and a sound mind! Do you see? Sad.. NO! I dont care how I FEEL! For its written the JOY of the lord is my strength.

Yes.. so many times you wont FEEL like it.. but this is HIS WORD and when WE speak it ..as it is written His word can NEVER return to Him void. And if JESUS can quote David..what some man said.. and talk as if HE said it.. then be like HIM!..your friend.. your brother...your savior...your GOD..that is IN YOU..IN YOU..IN YOU! yeah.. HE IS REAL and HE is HOLDING YOU! So relax and let HIM help..

You keep your eyes on Him.. you fall.. oops.. repent keep going.. haha we all have sin..sinned and fallen short. There is NONE not one righteous. Its HIS righteousness.. Its HIM. This is when when we see HIM PRAISE GOD GLORY TO JESUS and get crowns? AMEN? We take them off and give them back.. it was NEVER US. HE did it all.. we just cant see. We see through flesh and think WE have to do it all. No.. HE cant MAKE us do think say anything.. but you PRAY.. seek ask.. HIS WORD and THEN HE WILL DO!

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

You haven't committed blasphemy. You need to get involved in a dynamic Christian outreach program which will underline that and give you reassurance of living for Jesus. You can turn away again, of course. That doesn't mean you are lost. 1 John 1:9. It does mean that at the Judgment Seat of Christ you will be asked "What did you do for me?" (Jesus).

Upvote 0

Humble me Lord

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2017
The far north icebox
✟190,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree, you haven't committed blasphemy. We are all sinners, Romans 3:23 , for the only perfect one was Jesus, 2 Corinthians 5:21 , we can all backslide but He is right there waiting for us with open arms, John 6:37 , for our sins have been payed for, Isaiah 53:8, and we are saved by God's grace, through faith, not by the works that we do, Ephesians 2:8.
God Bless you

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,064,847.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Father I pray blessings on this request and for wisdom in all things spiritually in Jesus name I pray. Also taking these needs before God in prayer on the bbnradio.org Family Altar program... BBN Program Schedule

Upvote 0

Traveling teacher

May 2, 2017
Belton
✟31,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
conviction is good
condemnation is not from God

sister you have shown a humble heart...follow through on your convicitions...go to confession to confess your sins and leave at the foot of the cross

i backslid at a point in my life with much condemnation.......
only you can make the point in time to return....
deep down we know Jesus loves us and will forgive us.....
Jesus is singing a song of return for you.........

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Leeabc

Apr 29, 2017
Rockford
✟15,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'd just tell you to read the call to maturity in the Book of Hebrews, but what do I know

You could very well be right, but it's a pretty big assumption to make since you don't know my whole story or the history of my relationship with Christ or even what sins I was guilty of. I'll take it under advisement, though.

I don't think more guilt is really what I need right now, but if indeed that is the truth of the situation, I will have to pray about it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FrankDux

Dec 12, 2016
USA
✟14,876.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
You could very well be right, but it's a pretty big assumption to make since you don't know my whole story or the history of my relationship with Christ or even what sins I was guilty of. I'll take it under advisement, though.

I don't think more guilt is really what I need right now, but if indeed that is the truth of the situation, I will have to pray about it.

Idk what you're talking about, " more guilt " ?

The call to maturity in the Book of Hebrews is a call to leave behind all the old tired dogmas like repenting and baptisms that lead a person to think exactly like you are thinking, thus leading them into a never -ending spiral of " am I good enough, I sin, therefore no "

Good luck though

Upvote 0

Leeabc

Apr 29, 2017
Rockford
✟15,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The call to maturity in the Book of Hebrews is a call to leave behind all the old tired dogmas like repenting and baptisms that lead a person to think exactly like you are thinking, thus leading them into a never -ending spiral of " am I good enough, I sin, therefore no "

I said guilt because I was thinking of the verses that say "But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil...Therefore let us move beyond the elementary teachings about Christ and be taken forward to maturity, not laying again the foundation of repentance from acts that lead to death." My guilt is because I feel like how could I fall into such sin if I were mature and had been able to distinguish good from evil. And I read laying the foundation of repentance as sinning, because sin causes need of repentance. So I thought your post was being critical.

Then it goes on to say "It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age, and who have fallen away, to be brought back to repentance. To their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace...But land that produces thorns and thistles is worthless and is in danger of being cursed. In the end it will be burned."

So you see how the call to maturity passages are kinda scary and guilt invoking.

Last edited:
Upvote 0