• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Need Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bianca01

Jan 10, 2007
✟15,323.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My OCD is really acting up tonight. I'm so angry about it. Thought it was going away, but, then I couldn't decide which item to buy at a department store. Then I bought one, brought it home and it isn't right. So, now I have two. Can't decide which one is right or if I should buy a third one of the same thing. Why is this happening? How many of you with OCD had a stressful childhood where a lot of bad things happened? Just wondering if that is a common factor in what brings this out. I'm really having a "Why me?" night. I know that isn't a fair question, because "Why anyone?" really is a better one. And I feel like I cannot stop writing because this doesn't feel complete. So I guess I better stop. Anyone else feel like that?

frank1234

Apr 26, 2006
Winnetka, California
✟35,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Childhood thing does not have to be for every body, but somewhere along the way you could have picked up stuff based on your disposition in/of life. As for the shopping, Some times some decisions are tougher than the others, but remember It's not the end of the world, It's just shopping stuff.Just try to look at what you bought logiclly and compare what you have bought with what you originally were looking for, and maybe do a process of elimination. GOD be with you.

Upvote 0

Bianca01

Jan 10, 2007
✟15,323.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Childhood thing does not have to be for every body, but somewhere along the way you could have picked up stuff based on your disposition in/of life. As for the shopping, Some times some decisions are tougher than the others, but remember It's not the end of the world, It's just shopping stuff.Just try to look at what you bought logiclly and compare what you have bought with what you originally were looking for, and maybe do a process of elimination. GOD be with you.
Hi frank1234,

Thank you for responding. What happens with the shopping thing is I have a hard time making decisions because my OCD tells me if I make the wrong one something bad will happen. This could be someone dying or just the unknown. It repeats over and over in my head. Also, I count in my head. So even if the fourth item I pick up looks fine out of all of them the number of the day may be five. And if there's a flaw on five... well, you get the picture.

I didn't think I had any symptoms of religious OCD until recently. I haven't been able to pray so I ask the Holy Spirit just to intercede for me. I just start the prayer, rely on the Holy Spirit, then end "In Jesus' name. Amen." Sometimes I have to repeat some.

Upvote 0

SnoopySnitch

Jul 2, 2007
Manchester uk!
✟7,699.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hi frank1234,

Thank you for responding. What happens with the shopping thing is I have a hard time making decisions because my OCD tells me if I make the wrong one something bad will happen. This could be someone dying or just the unknown. It repeats over and over in my head. Also, I count in my head. So even if the fourth item I pick up looks fine out of all of them the number of the day may be five. And if there's a flaw on five... well, you get the picture.

I didn't think I had any symptoms of religious OCD until recently. I haven't been able to pray so I ask the Holy Spirit just to intercede for me. I just start the prayer, rely on the Holy Spirit, then end "In Jesus' name. Amen." Sometimes I have to repeat some.

I totally understand where u are coming from hun, I myself suffer with similar trates to Ur ocd, I count in numbers too mine are 1,3,7 whether its blinking seven times in a row or touching things 1,3,7 times...And then i convince myself that I didnt do this right so I start all over again, It's lenghy tiring and frustrating, And if I feel that if iI dont follow this through something bad will happen to the ones I love, I have recieved therapy and counselling for this it worked for a bit but it came back after a while, so I myself is being referred for a therapy called cbt (cognetive behavioural therapy) It help u train ur mind to think differently using a number of different teqniques, So I am looking forward to recieving this help, But a lot of my ocd is my thinking, I have intrusive thoughts and feelings, And it can take over my life I convince myself that I am dying with (hiv, aids, cancer all sorts) And that I have done someting or said something to someone that I haven't but in my head I have grrr! :mad: But it is tough babes, If u ever want to chat to me then just giz a shout hun...by the way have u recieved any kind of therapy or counselling for ur ocd? if not If it is effecting u that bad hun I would go see ur doctor and ask for support hun it can help! :)

Upvote 0

Bianca01

Jan 10, 2007
✟15,323.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I totally understand where u are coming from hun, I myself suffer with similar trates to Ur ocd, I count in numbers too mine are 1,3,7 whether its blinking seven times in a row or touching things 1,3,7 times...And then i convince myself that I didnt do this right so I start all over again, It's lenghy tiring and frustrating, And if I feel that if iI dont follow this through something bad will happen to the ones I love, I have recieved therapy and counselling for this it worked for a bit but it came back after a while, so I myself is being referred for a therapy called cbt (cognetive behavioural therapy) It help u train ur mind to think differently using a number of different teqniques, So I am looking forward to recieving this help, But a lot of my ocd is my thinking, I have intrusive thoughts and feelings, And it can take over my life I convince myself that I am dying with (hiv, aids, cancer all sorts) And that I have done someting or said something to someone that I haven't but in my head I have grrr! :mad: But it is tough babes, If u ever want to chat to me then just giz a shout hun...by the way have u recieved any kind of therapy or counselling for ur ocd? if not If it is effecting u that bad hun I would go see ur doctor and ask for support hun it can help! :)

Hi SnoopySnitch,

Thank you so much for responding. Please let me know how the CBT works for you. While going through the process, please share anything that helps.

I have gone through therapy, but, every time I get into my OCD they want to put me on medication. That just causes anxiety so that's not good. I am trying the Four Steps from BRAIN LOCK once more.

I look forward to reading about your CBT experience. Really hoping and praying it works for you. That will be an inspiration to others. :)

Upvote 0

gracealone

Apr 5, 2007
Michigan
✟18,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi Bianca,
I'm sorry you are having a flare up right now of your OCD. I think so many factors can cause me to flare. Lack of sleep, increased stress, too many carbs,. sugar, caffiene, hormonal changes, life changes, etc,
Don't beat yourself up about it though as if it's somehow your fault because it isn't.
I believe that the right kind of CBT, specifically exposure/response can help all of us.
As far as childhood problems go I do believe that any kind of life difficulties can bring out OCD in someone who is already pre-disposed to it.
I had a really, really wonderful childhood though, with loving parents and I still got OCD. I discovered though that I'm genetically wired to have it. It comes through my mom's side of the family. For me, it acts up, as does my Panic disorder during increased stress as well as hormonal changes.
Have you read any of the articles by Dr. Phillip Stevenson? on the website:
www.ocdonline.com
They are really informative and you may find some helpful ideas there.
Praying for you, I know it's miserable and exhausting to have OCD take over your every waking minute.
Mitzi

Upvote 0

SnoopySnitch

Jul 2, 2007
Manchester uk!
✟7,699.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hi SnoopySnitch,

Thank you so much for responding. Please let me know how the CBT works for you. While going through the process, please share anything that helps.

I have gone through therapy, but, every time I get into my OCD they want to put me on medication. That just causes anxiety so that's not good. I am trying the Four Steps from BRAIN LOCK once more.

I look forward to reading about your CBT experience. Really hoping and praying it works for you. That will be an inspiration to others. :)

Thanks hun, Yeh I am hoping the cbt works too, And I will keep everyone posted with the developments...I'm on medication at the moment for both depression and ocd and I am finding that they have actually helped me I feel more calmer, And happier on them sometimes medication does work, But it is totally upto you if u want that kind of help or not, And I hope and pray that the four steps u are on works for u hun...Im always here if u want to chat :thumbsup: xx

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.