• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Need suggestions for pain from spinal issues

Lostfornow

Nov 12, 2016
Ohio
✟7,929.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I am current blessed to be as active as I am . Would like to hear any experiences with pain control .
Current situation , 3 surguries over 14 years last was 8 level fussion of first 8 discs 3 years ago . Currently still working 40 to 60 hrs. weeks , taking care of hobby livestock ect. Under doctors care and awaiting preliminary test results from Cleveland Clinic . Taking to many meds. (in my opinion ) and have been changed recently to stop using narcotic based . No surgery is being considered by any one at this time .
Does any one have experience with electronic controlled pain options ?

Reactions: BeStill&Know

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I am current blessed to be as active as I am . Would like to hear any experiences with pain control .
Current situation , 3 surguries over 14 years last was 8 level fussion of first 8 discs 3 years ago . Currently still working 40 to 60 hrs. weeks , taking care of hobby livestock ect. Under doctors care and awaiting preliminary test results from Cleveland Clinic . Taking to many meds. (in my opinion ) and have been changed recently to stop using narcotic based . No surgery is being considered by any one at this time .
Does any one have experience with electronic controlled pain options ?
have your doctors checked for any evidence of arthritis in your spine yet?
otherwise would recommend getting an extra hand to help out with the work if at all possible, so that you're not placing so much strain on your back.

Upvote 0

Lostfornow

Nov 12, 2016
Ohio
✟7,929.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
There is arthritis at every level and extremities . Doctors have surprisingly said that as long as I am very cautious my current activities may be doing more good than harm . The understanding I have is the exercise is what is keeping me as mobile as I am . My worse issue is sleep .

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Have you checked your vit D3 levels? It helps with back pain, research has shown those who have had back surgery have been low on D3. But if your taking are of livestock, then you should be getting enough sun for your D3--but check it anyway. if U don't take my D3 my back will really ache.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Grafted In

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2012
Upper midwest
✟61,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ask your doctor about amitriptyline, if he has not already suggested it.
Due to being rear ended many years ago I had unrelenting pain on most of my right side from the waist up. When I was introduced to hydrocodone after 4 unrelated surgeries I asked my doctor to prescribe it for my pain from the car wreck. He said no. Instead he sent me to a pain clinic where they prescribed amitriptyline. It works better than any narcotic in my case and it does so with no effects such as the high and low, and the increase in tolerance requiring higher doses.

Its usefulness is limited to what they referred to as systemic pain.
Now my worst days are better than what used to be my best days. For me it works and I urge you to at least talk to your doctor about it.
The only downside was that it took 3 or 4 weeks to notice its effectiveness.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Amy almost killed me!! I was given it for fibro years ago. I had to eat a minimum of 10 prunes a day and I couldn't drink enough water it dried me up so badly. Then a dr suggested I take trazadone for the evening and amy in the morning---I crumbled while I was dialyzing a patient in ICU! My blood pressure was 78/34 (not compatible with life!) they stuck an iv into me as fast as they could (I was still on the floor) and they squeezed 2 liters of saline into me then I was taken to ER and another 2 liters of saline was given me-by the 3rd liter my b/p was up to 90. I never took amy again and kept the trazadone for several years before it quite working. I've been on tramadol for many years now and it has been the only thing that I have been able to take that my body has not gotten used to and over-ridden within 3 days. I even over rode Methadone in 3 days. Medical Marijuana helped me even more, I cooked and drank it for 1 1/2 years. I cut my tramadol down to 2 a day, some days I didn't even take any. I just couldn't afford to stay on it.

• Informative
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Oxygen deprivation sets in, with it's related euphoria and hallucinations.
I never did fully pass out. I felt --drunk like. Did not feel sick or bad, sort of euphoric. They tested me for everything (since it happened at work, they had to)--everything from alcohol to every drug there is---nothing. I know it was Amy and trazadone together, but that Amy rally dried me up.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Lostfornow

Nov 12, 2016
Ohio
✟7,929.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Vinsight the name has to do with the seperation from my wife after 40 yrs. that's another story , by her choice .
Currently on Lexapro , gabapentin , melodically, amitriptyline for pain and arthritis . Also take Norco at bedtime to help with sleep .
Yes Vinsight Cleveland told me I am physical better of than over 80% of people like me . I said over all I am BLESSED . I was offered disability over 13 years ago but as long as I am not a burden I need to keep active it's the nature of my family . I have a younger brother who is 8 yrs. surviver of stage 4 colon cancer . He has two bags and back trouble but still works 40 plus hrs. a week in the construction field . He is our example and our miracal brother .

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BeStill&Know

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2015
✟68,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There is arthritis at every level and extremities . Doctors have surprisingly said that as long as I am very cautious my current activities may be doing more good than harm . The understanding I have is the exercise is what is keeping me as mobile as I am . My worse issue is sleep .
Hubby folded into thirds a very thick (about 2 -3 inches plush) king size
mattress pad
(I cut off the edges that fold over the side of our old mattress).He sleeps on a twin now. It has allowed him to sleep longer hours in better comfort. Also, he falls asleep in a very comfortable wall hunger lounger.
Make sure you eat, or take plenty of magnesium, which relaxes everything in your body and mind and helps bones as well.

Upvote 0