Supporter
Jan 3, 2008
Hoover/Spanish Fort, AL
✟28,756.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hey, guys, and girls. The reason I'm posting is because lately (as in several times over the last few years) I've felt a desire/urge/calling to be in the Armed Forces. Whether it be the National Guard, Army, Navy, or Air Force (Marines isn't for me), I don't know.

I've done a lot of research about them all and something inside me is like, "Whoa! That seems exciting." I know it wouldn't be 'fun' all the time, or at all. However, it's challenging. It'll push me to my limits, build my character and my body. I would be part of something bigger, something respected, and I would learn more than I ever have.

I would have a bachelor's degree in Metallurgical and Materials engineering by the time I did anything, so money for school isn't really a factor. But, the pay and benefits are enticing. My degree wouldn't be completely wasted as it could help me in the forces, and I could use it whenever my enlistment is through. Alternatively, I could just save this option as a backup in case I really can't find a job upon graduation.

So, the fact that I've thought about this off and on for while shows that I'm not necessarily jumping the gun (no pun intended). I still have a few months until I graduate so I have time to do more research and make my decision. I would really appreciate any responses with personal experience, advice, and especially prayers. I need help deciding/realizing if this is what I should do.

Thanks in advance.

aldar

Dec 31, 2006
TEXAS
✟16,543.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I will say that if you want to be in the military and you will already have a degree by the time you try to join then you really need to do the research and see how you can enter the military as an officer, not as an enlisted
The military ranks are divided into two types. The officers and the enlisted. The officers get better treatment, make alot more money, have better jobs and in general are in supervisory or leadership positions.
The enlisted start out with the least possible pay, the worst treatment, the least amount of respect and worst living conditions and are generally just told what to do all day and frequently get yelled and talked to for mistakes they make. If you join the enlisted side you'll enter a world of push ups running and getting barked at and told to do more pushups and your opinion wont matter at all. If you have a degree try to join the military as an officer and the quality of your career and the treatment you receive throughout it will be much much better. As an officer everyone would call you sir and salute you and respect you and you'd be part of a great team, as an enlisted you could very easily be sent to go wash windows and sweep floors all day and get barked at for missing a spot until you've put the years and training in for you become a sergeant. Not everything on the enlisted is bad and you don't always get treated like crap but it will happen and it will happen over and over again and until you have the ability to get promoted to sergeant there's nothing you can do about it and you can't quit. Alot of enlisted people just suck it up and deal with it but if you can be an officer you absolutely should.

Reactions: sphsjags
Upvote 0

aldar

Dec 31, 2006
TEXAS
✟16,543.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Np, I hope I was some help. I need to step back and say that not everything about the enlisted side is bad and not all of your supervisor's will be mean or annoying or treat you like junk but you absolutely will meet and find those that do and you will have to deal with it and you being told what to do and having no say in the matter will be your job for the first several years. If you want respect, the best pay, the best jobs the best treatment and conditions then pursue being a commissioned officer. But either way the military is a great thing it's done great things for me and my family. My biggest concern is that I wish I had never worked for some of the people I have and I wish I hadn't be in a combat zone for almost half my of 6 year career. I leave on my 3rd year long deployment in less than a month.

Upvote 0

sphsjags

Knows where Mars is...
Supporter
Jan 3, 2008
Hoover/Spanish Fort, AL
✟28,756.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
So I got a text the other day from a friend saying, "So you're thinking of joining the army, huh?" I was so confused. We are in the same major, which is a small one. I guess when the recruiter asked his major, he recognized me as being the only other person with it and asked me friend if he knew me. Anyway, he's thinking about doing Army/Army Reserves, too. He's a year younger than me which means we might be able to do basic together, but not OCS as he won't have a degree at the same time as me.

It was exciting to hear that from him; that he's considering it, too. Now we both have someone to talk to about it and we even discussed working out together to prepare for basic. Thanks for the prayers so far. I still have a lot of time, research, and decisions left.

Upvote 0

aldar

Dec 31, 2006
TEXAS
✟16,543.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Well good. Don't sweat basic training. Unless your overweight just take a month or two to just get to where you can do about 30 or 40 push ups in a row, 50-60 sit ups in a row and start jogging. Unless your use to running try to jog slowly and comfortably for longer and longer periods of time and when you can comfortably jog for about 30 mins then your body is ready to start speed drill and wind sprints. If you can do 30-40 pushups in a row 50-60 situps in a row and jog for 30 mins comfortably basic training won't be a problem for you. There will be moments where it's hard becuase that's the intent but they will pass. The rest is just getting your mind right and understanding that other than the PT test and weapons qualification its not a win or lose go or no go situation, it's about doing your best. Don't be intimidated by the drill sergeants or shocked when they yell, it's a game for them too. Pass your tests, do your best, be respectful and play the game and your 9 or so weeks will pass without real problems.

Upvote 0

sphsjags

Knows where Mars is...
Supporter
Jan 3, 2008
Hoover/Spanish Fort, AL
✟28,756.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I ran a mile last night (with 2 laps of walking) in 9:50, which isn't too bad. However, I know in basic they do multiple miles at 9:00 a piece. I was struggling to do one mile in 10:00. Maybe I could have done better if I'd stretched beforehand. I downloaded the Army Physical Fitness Test study guide thing. That should help me get prepared. Thanks again for the advice.

Upvote 0

aldar

Dec 31, 2006
TEXAS
✟16,543.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Running is something that is painful in the moment but shows great payoffs very quickly untill you begin to plateau when you are a decent runner. Running is also something that needs to be done intelligently and "run as fast as you can for as long as you can" is not the best method.
You are not an experienced runner and the best method for you right now is to run slowly and comfortably and go for distance not speed. If you need to slow down to a shuffle and catch your breath that's fine but continue to move forward and continue to keep your feet off the ground. Breathing is a big part too. Try to slow your breathing. Your lungs ability to push oxygen into your blood and into your muscles has a direct effect on muscle fatigue and failure. Hydration is the same. Dehydration and lack of oxygen to to your body promote fatigue and muscle failure.

Jog slowly and take longer deeper breaths and try to run farther, not faster. Running guru's say that when your heartrate brakes 155-160 beats per min your body is no longer burning the right source of fuel and your no longer building cardiovascular stamina. When your breathing becomes really rapid you've gone well beyond that.
That is the danger of running too fast too long, it doesn't pay off any time soon. Slow it down and run farther not faster drink lots of water and take longer deeper breaths and give it a week or two before you judge your results. Concerning running form, your bodies unique chemistry will determine your proper running form you need to do what comes naturally and comfortably at this point don't try to altar your running form because you can hurt yourself overtime by straying from your bodies natural movements.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sphsjags

Knows where Mars is...
Supporter
Jan 3, 2008
Hoover/Spanish Fort, AL
✟28,756.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Wow. Thanks for the info. I'll try to go that route for a while, going for distance and not speed. I'd read about proper running form, but I guess I need to practice running the way I know how for now. I can perfect the process later.

Upvote 0

aldar

Dec 31, 2006
TEXAS
✟16,543.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes. I've done my fair share of reading on running and running myself. You need to establish a base to work from first and alterations to your running form have to be taken slowly and with caution. What is relaxed and comfortable for you is at least very close to what is most efficient for you considering your unique body chemistry. Anyway I'll leave you alone now. Good luck. You'll do fine.

Upvote 0

sphsjags

Knows where Mars is...
Supporter
Jan 3, 2008
Hoover/Spanish Fort, AL
✟28,756.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Nah. You're fine. Any other advice/tips/info you have on basic training or military life in general would be helpful. As we both know, this is a big decision and I need to hear from real people. The recruiters are just gonna tell you what you want to hear so you'll join.

Upvote 0

aldar

Dec 31, 2006
TEXAS
✟16,543.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If you join the Army you'll be deployed ALOT... ALOT! untill this war ends its a 12 months at home and 12 months deployed rotation for some units. I haven't even hit 6 years yet and I've spent almost 2 and half years in Iraq. Other branches don't deploy as often or for as long.
As for basic training there's alot of rigid stuff, standards to meet. Do your best, you wont meet them all and you can't always meet them. The reason is they just want to push you as far as you can go, all the yelling isn't based on real reason. It's just to motivate you to do your best and do even better. The only things that really matter there is passing that PT test at the end which isn't that bad if you can do what I recommended and and the weapons qualification which isn't hard either. They will teach there expectations. Be quiet, respectful and give it your best you'll be fine.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

aldar

Dec 31, 2006
TEXAS
✟16,543.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Yeh it wont be as much. They do deploy less. Oh if you join active duty it's possible to negotiate things like where your permanent duty station will be but make sure any promises they give you are written directly into your contract before you sign and swear because once you leave the recruiter and get out of basic training nothing but what's in that contract matters.
Also don't let people at the MEPS station or your recruiter tell you that what you want to do isn't available right now. Recruiters have quota's to fill and sometimes they push different jobs depending on what is needed at the moment. Tell them what you want to do and if they say they don't have it then leave. Make them work to get you what you want, it's your career. It get's said far too often that certain job's aren't available right now and too often it's hogwash. Make them work to get you the career that you want.

Upvote 0

sphsjags

Knows where Mars is...
Supporter
Jan 3, 2008
Hoover/Spanish Fort, AL
✟28,756.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think I've decided to go into the Army. I talked to my mom the other night about it and she seems fine. The only objection she had is that she'd like me to wait a month or so after I graduate to spend some last minute time with me before I go off. If I wait, though, then I might not get to go to Basic with my friend. He's a junior, so he has to do basic in the summer so he can finish college.

Upvote 0

aldar

Dec 31, 2006
TEXAS
✟16,543.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Well good luck man! Keep in touch if you want to. Also depending on what job your friend chooses and available basic training locations and dates will determine whether or not you can go through training with him at all but you can express that is something you want as well to the recruiter. Make sure you get a career and job choice your happy with, you can always come back in a week or a month.
Make sure everything is written into your contract and just keep your head down, don't attract negative attention, do your best and be respectful and you'll do well. Try to get into as good a shape as you can before you leave, your first few days will be rough and quite a shock to your body.

Your recruiter should go over some basic things before you depart such as rank structure, basic marching and facing movements. Express to him/her this is something that you want, it will make things go alot smoother for you there early on if you already know how to act, move and how to address your superiors. Also if your recruiter has time try to have him/her do some Army style physical fitness training with you, this as well will make you more ready before you get there. My recruiter did these things with me before I left. Don't be intimidated by anyone, ultimately there is nothing they can do to you unless you break military law just be respectful and do what your told. Bring your bible if you want to, I think your permitted to have that with you in basic training and it may do you well on this long nights on guard duty without sleep.

Upvote 0

ChevyCountry

Mar 8, 2011
Fairfield, California
✟7,628.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I can relate to your post because I was in that same place 3 years ago before making the decision to enlist in the Air Force. Honestly, I don't plan to re-enlist, but I still don't regret joining. I feel like I've become a stronger person and gained experiences that I never would've had if I stayed home all my life. I will say...deploying has honestly been a terrible experience for me. The deployments for the Air Force aren't as bad in comparison to other branches, though. My squadron sends people about once every year for 4-6 months, as opposed to the Army where you can get deployed for over a year. Overall, it's what you make of it. There are plenty of benefits to joining the military and I plan to use my G.I. bill to the fullest extent when I get out next year. Officer is definitely a good route to go, though, especially if you plan on making the military a career. Adlar has given some great advice, especially about MEPS and BMT. Good luck man.

Upvote 0