Need some input (again)

T

TrustAndObey

I'm really curious as to what most of you run into when talking to people about the Sabbath. This is for help with the paper I'm working on.

When talking to fellow believers about the Sabbath, do you:

1. Find that most of the ones against it think all of God's commandments were "Old Covenant" and not necessary for Christians today? (The whole "we're under grace, not under the law" argument) OR

2. Find that most believe only the 4th commandment was abolished? OR

3. Find that people feel like it isn't a requirement since the Pharisees said Jesus "broke" the Sabbath? OR

4. Find that people argue that Jesus replaced God's commandments when He told the Pharisees what He felt the two great commandments were? OR

5. Find that people state "it's the only commandment not repeated in the New Testament"? OR

6. My personal favorite "Sabbath was just for the Jews".

If there's any argument I missed, please let me know that one too. This paper is pretty thorough (coming from someone, ME, that used them all in the past).

Keep in mind, I've already been hit with all of the above mentioned arguments and *I* know the biblical answers to them....I'm just curious as to what your personal experiences have been with people you talk to...which argument comes up the most?

I have a family member that clams up every time I mention that I need to prepare for Sabbath (any mention of Sabbath honestly), so I'm also curious how any of you have approached the subject in the past that worked for you.

Thanks in advance!
~Lainie

lonnienord

Keep Praying!!
Jan 13, 2005
Lorain, Ohio about 30 miles west of Cleveland on L
Visit site
✟39,601.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
i grew up SDA i think the Sabbath was a great gift from GOD. I believe JESUS death and reserection was a greater gift but the gift that is best of all is the Eucharist. If i could find a church that had daily mass and worshiped on the Sabbath and kept it holy i would join it instantly. Unfortunately some Anglicans and all Catholics are the only people who truely follow JESUS commandment in John 6 to eat HIS body and drink HIS blood so that is why i'm catholic and hence, alas, not a sabbath keeper

Upvote 0

lonnienord

Keep Praying!!
Jan 13, 2005
Visit site
✟39,601.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Marximus said:
Hi LonnieLord! I know that in my church, (I am an SDA,) we have communion. We eat bread and drink grapejuice, which obviously simbolizes Jesus' body and blood. Please let me know if this is what you were thinking of. God Bless :)
yes sort of but when i was a SDA it was only done once every three months. I go to mass daily. i would starve to death if i couldn't go at least weekly!!

Upvote 0

Marximus

Aug 20, 2005
Colorado
✟15,826.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
lonnienord said:
yes sort of but when i was a SDA it was only done once every three months. I go to mass daily. i would starve to death if i couldn't go at least weekly!!
Lonnienord, I'm not at all saying that what you want is wrong, but I thought that the reason that we have communion was to remember what Christ did for all of us. We can remember what He did for us EVERY DAY, even without bread and grapejuice. Those are just there as symbols to remind us, but we can thank Jesus everyday without them. Thats just my opinion. :)

Upvote 0

SassySDA

Aug 12, 2005
OH
✟1,169.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
6. My personal favorite "Sabbath was just for the Jews

This is the one I get the most. I simply remind (or inform) them that the Sabbath was set by God for man, LONG before there were jews on this earth...so that argument will not hold water...

Marximus, I agree with you. If I understand Catholicism's version of communion correctly, they believe they are literally ingesting the body of Christ, where we follow the scriptural "communion". "Do this in rememberance of me"....

Christ lives and reigns within me, within my heart. Communion and footwashing are both very special to me, but I certainly wouldn't need to do either one daily to get my "fill" of Jesus Christ. I sit at His feet daily...and commune with Him in prayer.

The Sabbath is God's 4th commandment...I'm not breaking it. I would never break it. After experiencing the wonderful BLESSING of the Sabbath, I would never WANT to break it.

The mere thought of going back to a Sunday keeping church, makes the hairs stand up on my arms. I'm not joking or exaggerating. I have had, literally, bad dreams about this....mostly consisting of being forced to attend church on Sunday.

Upvote 0

lonnienord

Keep Praying!!
Jan 13, 2005
Visit site
✟39,601.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Marximus said:
Lonnienord, I'm not at all saying that what you want is wrong, but I thought that the reason that we have communion was to remember what Christ did for all of us. We can remember what He did for us EVERY DAY, even without bread and grapejuice. Those are just there as symbols to remind us, but we can thank Jesus everyday without them. Thats just my opinion. :)
see that is the problem JESUS told us to eat his body and drink his blood. He didn't tell us to eat bread and drink grape juice. At mass we truely eat his body and drink his blood (John 6:53) [BIBLE]John 6:53[/BIBLE]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Uphill Battle

Apr 25, 2005
✟23,416.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
lonnienord said:
see that is the problem JESUS told us to eat his body and drink his blood. He didn't tell us to eat bread and drink grape juice. At mass we truely eat his body and drink his blood (John 6:53) John 6:53Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

Really.... Can I ask what it is before it transfroms to his Blood and Flesh?

Upvote 0

Uphill Battle

Apr 25, 2005
✟23,416.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
lonnienord said:
bread and wine. At every mass a miracle happens. bread and wine become the body and blood of JESUS. it is fantastically amazing!!

really. Does it taste like blood, or wine? does it taste like bread wafer, or like meat (I have no idea what human flesh would taste like.)

Upvote 0

PlumTea

Veteran
May 19, 2005
WA
✟9,623.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've heard #1 and #6, mostly from schoolmates and coworkers.

Almost my entire family is atheist/agnostic, so they really didn't have much to say other than, "What makes Saturday different than Sunday?" My mom was real cool about the whole thing, she started buy turkey bacon and veggie dogs immediately after I said I didn't want to eat pork any more. She still buys them in fact, & I moved out 5 years ago.

I assumed the few Christian I have in my family didn't mind because they never said anything about it.

Upvote 0

lonnienord

Keep Praying!!
Jan 13, 2005
Visit site
✟39,601.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
to answer that i would have to explain transformation; which i will try to do: The bread and wine actually become the body and blood of JESUS but it retains its substance. it still tastes like bread and wine. that doesn't mean that it isn't the body and blood of JESUS.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Marximus

Aug 20, 2005
Colorado
✟15,826.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
lonnienord said:
see that is the problem JESUS told us to eat his body and drink his blood. He didn't tell us to eat bread and drink grape juice. At mass we truely eat his body and drink his blood (John 6:53) John 6:53Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.
I completely agree that Jesus said that, obviously, because it is in the Bible.;) But, at the last supper, Jesus didn't actual eat flesh and blood, He drank wine and ate bread with His disciples.

When He says: Eat my body and drink my blood in remembrance of me, : he isn't saying to literally eat his FLESH and BLOOD, in my opinion.

I believe that we are to do as Jesus did at the Last Supper with the disciples: simply drink wine to SYMBOLIZE Jesus' blood, and eat bread to SYMBOLIZE his flesh that He sacrificed for you and me. :)

Upvote 0

PlumTea

Veteran
May 19, 2005
WA
✟9,623.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
lonnienord said:
to answer that i would have to explain transformation; which i will try to do: The bread and wine actually become the body and blood of JESUS but it retains its substance. it still tastes like bread and wine. that doesn't mean that it isn't the body and blood of JESUS.

That doesn't make a lot of sense. Not to me anyways.

Upvote 0

Marximus

Aug 20, 2005
Colorado
✟15,826.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
JonathanSDA living word said:
really people Jesus used many examples to help explain HIS love like us. He told us to be like children. Does that mean we eat worms and have mud fights. NO he used the drink and bread as a metaphor not to be taken literally.
:amen:AMEN TO THAT!:amen:

Upvote 0