Warhammer 40K Universe
✟71,398.00
Country
Serbia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'm asking if anyone has any info on what were there teachings and what does the Orthodox Church say about them. Except for the OrthodoxWiki (however there's not much written about them), I didn't find any plausible resource.

• Adoptionism
  • Apollinarism
  • Arianism
  • Bogomilism
  • Bosnian Church
  • Caesaropapism
  • Docetism
  • Donatism
  • Euchites
  • Gnosticism
  • Luciferians
  • Macedonianism
  • Manichaeism
  • Marcionism
  • Monarchianism
  • Monophysitism
  • Montanism
  • Nestorianism
  • Patripassianism
  • Peter of Bruis
  • Priscillianism
  • Psilanthropism
  • Sabellianism
  • Socianism

I need sources especially for Gnosticism, followed up by Arianism.

1. What were there teachings.
2. What does the Orthodox Church say about them.

Last edited:

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,677.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
St. Irenaeus (ca. 170 AD) lists a whole bunch in his 1st book: Against the Heresies which is online on a Catholic site:
CHURCH FATHERS: Against Heresies (St. Irenaeus)

The above is re the many, various sects of Gnosticism. More people will chime in on Arianism which basically says Christ was a created being who became the Son of God. The prophet Daniel was clearly given revelation of the eternal Son of God ( Daniel 7:13-14 , the Gospel of John 1:1 etc. ).

Last edited:
Reactions: F.E.A.R.
Upvote 0

F.E.A.R.

Emperor's Children
May 14, 2016
Warhammer 40K Universe
✟71,398.00
Country
Serbia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
St. Irenaeus (ca. 170 AD) lists a whole bunch in his 1st book: Against the Heresies which is online on a Catholic site:
CHURCH FATHERS: Against Heresies (St. Irenaeus)

The above is re the many, various sects of Gnosticism. More people will chime in on Arianism which basically says Christ was a created being who became the Son of God. The prophet Daniel was clearly given revelation of the eternal Son of God ( Daniel 7:13-14 , the Gospel of John 1:1 etc. ).
Thanks! I see that the Catholic Encyclopedia has a lot written about them. I'm glad that the book exists free on the Internet. Although I still don't understand what do philosophers (not all) find philosophical in Gnosticism? I myself am studying philosophy, but this I really don't understand.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,677.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Last edited:
Reactions: F.E.A.R.
Upvote 0

Jesus4Madrid

Orthodox Christian
Jul 21, 2011
✟90,072.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Funny you should ask.

I was just re-listening today in the car to a series of lectures on the Early Church heresies by Father Josiah Trenham. He is a great story teller and these heresies come alive. Father Trenham builds up the case for each heresy, before explaining why the Church has to condemn them. In declaring what the Church isn't, heresies helped the Church understand what she is. For example, Gnostics such as Marcion drew up original NT canons before the Orthodox Church did, thereby catalyzing the Church to codify the actual canon. Some of our greatest saints and theologians such as St Irenaeus, St Athanasius and St Augustine arose because of their writings against heresies (Gnosticism, Arianism and Donatism and Pelagianism, respectively).

The lectures cost $10 to buy all 7, but the first one is free so you can try it out.

Here's a description of the course:

"The Doctrines of Demons: A History of Early Heresy
By Fr Josiah
FD_C0003

In this series of 7 lectures, Father Josiah examines the major heresies of the first four centuries of Christian history, explaining the mind of the Church about the errors of each heresy, commenting upon how each heresy survives in some form today, and articulating the true faith in contrast.

The first lecture (available at no charge), Heresy according to the Scriptures and the Church Fathers, is the introductory lecture in a seven-part lecture series entitled The Doctrines of Demons: A History of Early Heresies. This initial lecture provides our listeners with a theological overview of the concept of heresy according to the Scriptures and the Holy Fathers of the Church. As the Christian faith is the greatest good on the earth, so heresy is the greatest evil in the world leading to the everlasting ruin of human persons. As the Christian faith enlightens mankind through the preaching of the Gospel, the true faith at the same time exposes error and heresy, castigating it as such in order to protect the faithful from harm and recalling those who have sadly embraced the doctrines of demons. This complimentary gift is available below.

The remaining lectures, 2 through 7 can be purchased for $1.99/each, or all 7 for $14 $10, and are available online as shown below.

All 7 Lectures; was $14, now : $10.00

Lecture 1: Heresy according to the Scriptures and the Church Fathers: $0.00
Lecture 2: Early Judaizing and Gnostic Heresies: $1.99
Lecture 3: The Heresy of Arianism: $1.99
Lecture 4: The Heresy of Donatism: $1.99
Lecture 5: The Heresy of Pelagianism: $1.99
Lecture 6: The Heresy of Manicheanism: $1.99
Lecture 7: The Heresy of Jovianism & Heresies concerning Marriage and Virginity: $1.99

Store - Lectures and Homilies

Last edited:
Upvote 0

F.E.A.R.

Emperor's Children
May 14, 2016
Warhammer 40K Universe
✟71,398.00
Country
Serbia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
St John of Damascus also wrote a work called Against Heresies. if you really wanna delve into Arianism, check out St Athanasius of Alexandria.
The only thing I can find from St. John of Damascus book is the Critique of Islam (a part from the book). I'll see what I can find from St. Athanasius of Alexandria.
Here is an essay on St. Basil the Great's refutation of Arianism. I cannot seem to locate his original writing on this but I think the essay is good.

NPNF2-08. Basil: Letters and Select Works - Christian Classics Ethereal Library

More on Arianism:
How Arianism Almost Won

Thanks! Seems the article about Arianism almost wining won't let me read the whole thing. Well, thank God Arianism didn't won.
Funny you should ask.

I was just re-listening today in the car to a series of lectures on the Early Church heresies by Father Josiah Trenham. He is a great story teller and these heresies come alive. Father Trenham builds up the case for each heresy, before explaining why the Church has to condemn them. In declaring what the Church isn't, heresies helped the Church understand what she is. For example, Gnostics such as Marcion drew up original NT canons before the Orthodox Church did, thereby catalyzing the Church to codify the actual canon. Some of our greatest saints and theologians such as St Irenaeus, St Athanasius and St Augustine arose because of their writings against heresies (Gnosticism, Arianism and Donatism and Pelagianism, respectively).

The lectures cost $10 to buy all 7, but the first one is free so you can try it out.

Here's a description of the course:

"The Doctrines of Demons: A History of Early Heresy
By Fr Josiah
FD_C0003

In this series of 7 lectures, Father Josiah examines the major heresies of the first four centuries of Christian history, explaining the mind of the Church about the errors of each heresy, commenting upon how each heresy survives in some form today, and articulating the true faith in contrast.

The first lecture (available at no charge), Heresy according to the Scriptures and the Church Fathers, is the introductory lecture in a seven-part lecture series entitled The Doctrines of Demons: A History of Early Heresies. This initial lecture provides our listeners with a theological overview of the concept of heresy according to the Scriptures and the Holy Fathers of the Church. As the Christian faith is the greatest good on the earth, so heresy is the greatest evil in the world leading to the everlasting ruin of human persons. As the Christian faith enlightens mankind through the preaching of the Gospel, the true faith at the same time exposes error and heresy, castigating it as such in order to protect the faithful from harm and recalling those who have sadly embraced the doctrines of demons. This complimentary gift is available below.

The remaining lectures, 2 through 7 can be purchased for $1.99/each, or all 7 for $14 $10, and are available online as shown below.

Lecture 1: Heresy according to the Scriptures and the Church Fathers: $0.00
Lecture 2: Early Judaizing and Gnostic Heresies: $1.99
Lecture 3: The Heresy of Arianism: $1.99
Lecture 4: The Heresy of Donatism: $1.99
Lecture 5: The Heresy of Pelagianism: $1.99
Lecture 6: The Heresy of Manicheanism: $1.99
Lecture 7: The Heresy of Jovianism & Heresies concerning Marriage and Virginity: $1.99

Store - Lectures and Homilies
Awesome. Well at least it's not above 20 bucks.

Upvote 0