• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

need help with depression.

trailblazer50

Dec 13, 2015
indiana
✟7,632.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
i am 50 yrs old and suffer from major depression, panic attacks, sleep apnea, and insomnia. my doctor also thinks i might have borderline bpd. the deprwession is what i struggle with the most. while i am on meds for the depression, i really need something else to help keep my spirits up.

PropheticTimes

Lord Have Mercy
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2015
Ohio
✟204,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

trailblazer50

Dec 13, 2015
indiana
✟7,632.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
I will refer you to my post on this thread - http://www.christianforums.com/threads/depressed-and-feeling-abandoned-by-god.7923670/ - simply because that's a lot to retype lol

I would recommend anything that takes you out of your own head. Distractions. Crafts, hobbies, reading, music. :)

my interests include trying to teach myself biblical greek because it's fun and in some strange way i feel it will draw me closer to god, survivalism, and knot tying. the only thing about survivalism is that it draws me further away from god. knot tying is fun and paracord has so many uses. besides, it keeps my hands and mind busy. i just wish i could find some way to apply that to my greek studies as well.

Upvote 0

PropheticTimes

Lord Have Mercy
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2015
Ohio
✟204,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Personally I don't see that detracting from God, after all, He is the one who gives you the skills and, possibly, through you, helps others who don't have that knowledge. Without His provision through his creation (plants, trees, water) we couldn't survive. Survivalism is merely having the knowledge to use God's provision (if you keep Him foremost in your heart as you do it). :)

Reactions: patricius79
Upvote 0

blessedbethyname101

Dec 30, 2015
north pole
✟9,406.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't know how long you've been on meds but some of them take time to become effective, i.e. 6 weeks or so. In the meantime, I would go to church, also pray, and remain active. I would not go through this alone. Always, keep in contact with your psychdoc in case you feel absolutely miserable and need to talk, he should return your call and have some suggestions. As I said in another post, I felt suicidal, had my meds adjusted, then felt much better but it takes time unfortunately. During the downtime, I just stayed with family and never remained alone. Also, I tried to do some things I enjoyed like listening to music, watch movies, and talking walks. I would try to do things to keep your mind preoccupied.

Again. my favorite quote:
Psalm 23:4Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

There is a song by Kathy Trocolli about this verse.

Upvote 0