• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Need help with a friend that want to give all the time.

fisherman2

Nov 28, 2003
penna, usa
Visit site
✟15,750.00
Faith
Christian
My friend is female, early 50's, raising 2 granddaughters, but she has this internal drive to help any and all people, she takes them into her home, feeds them gives them a place to sleep, like a boarding house, some of these folks work some don't. Recently one of the grandaughters was told by the boarders to work around the house, the grandaughter is now staying with a relative, afraid to go back home. How can i tell or explain to my friend that she has to stop, she can't keep taking everyone in.

CynthiaSpeaks

Big Bad Bart... He's my dream!
Dec 2, 2004
Oregon
✟8,046.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Petunia said:
Why is it that you think she has to stop?

She probably should stop if she is taking in strangers. They could pose a threat to herself and her granddaughters. How old are the granddaughters? There is no way I could allow strangers into my home like that.

Surely there are other ways she can help out. Have you done some research into local charitable organizations that need volunteers? Make a list of some in which her time could be spent helping dozens instead of just one here and there.

Is she lonely? Or does she see this as her Christian duty? It may help to know why she is doing this.

Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟576,860.00
Faith
Christian
I think its wonderful what she is doing but especially because its personal and she is not doing it for her own glory... like this they are more open to the faith bcoz its not like organisations where they are just taking advantage of social services they know someone personally cares for them...but maybe if she has the money she can provide a place outside her home like someone kinda said I dont know.

Upvote 0

Petunia

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 9, 2004
✟211,267.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
CynthiaSpeaks said:
There is no way I could allow strangers into my home like that.
Well.. everyone doesn't have the 'gift' for it. I couldn't do it either. But this woman sounds like she has a drive for it.. so it could just be a gift. I don't think she should have children in the house with her though. Not if she's allowing strangers in the house. But there are plenty of people who have large houses and rent out rooms to other people. Is it something like that.. and she just isn't requiring them to pay rent?:scratch:

Reactions: CynthiaSpeaks
Upvote 0

CynthiaSpeaks

Big Bad Bart... He's my dream!
Dec 2, 2004
Oregon
✟8,046.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Petunia said:
Well.. everyone doesn't have the 'gift' for it. I couldn't do it either. But this woman sounds like she has a drive for it.. so it could just be a gift. I don't think she should have children in the house with her though. Not if she's allowing strangers in the house. But there are plenty of people who have large houses and rent out rooms to other people. Is it something like that.. and she just isn't requiring them to pay rent?:scratch:

I never looked at it that way. Excellent point. I wouldn't have any problem opening my extra rooms up for Christians or exchange students. It's only a stranger danger issue for me. But if she has a gift for it, and is in God's will, that's a different story all together. Thanks for pointing that out to me! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
A

Anti Existance

I know you have the feeling that she is letting herself being abused by others who take advantage of her. However your bad feeling about this, i would give you a total reverse advice that you would expect namely, to go out and help her along and show love to these people that she takes into their homes. Although everyone has to be able to say to themselves ' to here and no further ' and to be strict but loving. I would like to say that helping people in need and showing them love is essential. I believe you are very doubtfull about the behaviour she is showing towards others, but you basically want her to be more selfish and only to care for herself. And this is a big NO, she needs to keep on helping people , she is a wonderfull person. You see, you spiritually aren't ready yet to do the things that she is doing. You could use her as a big example. You know Helping out and being a loving person, and showing acts of love (even smal ones) is what God wants us to do. Please understand that she is acting like that, and i advice you not to worry about her, but to worry about yourself.

Because what have you displayed qua love towards others in your life? Really, it would be good for you to analyze your own actions. For instance i heard from people who had near-death experiences that God came to them with the question ' What have you done with the life that i have given to you ' ,in full repentance and horror they couldn't show even one act of love. They put theirselves on the throne of their lives instead of God like they should. You should consider that you need to put God on the throne instead of your own life, that's why you are looking akward and puzzled, because you don't understand why this woman has put God in the first place. Well, hopefully you will understand now that we are here to help eachother. There is so much darkness and we have to put light and love into other people's lives.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums