New England
✟10,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi everyone. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, or even if this is an appropriate post, but I need some help interpreting guyspeak. What do you think a man means when he says that something is fascinating about you? (I should tell you that I've only spoken to this man online).

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Hi everyone. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, or even if this is an appropriate post, but I need some help interpreting guyspeak. What do you think a man means when he says that something is fascinating about you? (I should tell you that I've only spoken to this man online).

It's probably not some sort of code. He means what he says--that there's something about you that he finds fascinating. What he means beyond that, well, you'd have to ask him yourself.

Just like one can't really generalize women, one can't generalize men too much either. That said, lots of guys do tend to just mean what they say. "I like your hat" means "I like your hat".

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If it was me, it would mean exactly what I said: that I find something fascinating about you.
I wouldn't try to read too much into what most guys say, better to take things at face value unless there's a good reason not to.

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

quietpraiyze

In The Secret Place
Nov 18, 2011
✟93,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I would think since you've only spoken to this man online that he's trying to draw you in. I would say guard your heart dear.

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would think since you've only spoken to this man online that he's trying to draw you in. I would say guard your heart dear.
The problem with this approach is that it assumes that every man who shows an interest in a person is a creep.
So guys that don't have their Casanova pater just right don't stand a chance. If a guy doesn't show an interest he's disinterested or arrogant, but if he shows an interest he's a creep.
With this response what chance does a guy, that isn't so good at picking up girls, have? At the end of the day the creeps win, they just have to be a bit clever is all.

Upvote 0

quietpraiyze

In The Secret Place
Nov 18, 2011
✟93,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The problem with this approach is that it assumes that every man who shows an interest in a person is a creep.
So guys that don't have their Casanova pater just right don't stand a chance. If a guy doesn't show an interest he's disinterested or arrogant, but if he shows an interest he's a creep.
With this response what chance does a guy, that isn't so good at picking up girls, have? At the end of the day the creeps win, they just have to be a bit clever is all.

I was actually thinking about how there are a lot of predators online and they know exactly how to reel you in. Especially if they pick up that you're kinda naive. It would have been better to me if he had said I like the way you explain things for example when we talked about xyz. To me that seems more sincere because the person isn't trying to be mysterious and it's a compliment as well. For a man to say "something is fascinating about you" without telling you what that something is feels like a game to me. I'm sure this just has to do with my life experiences. To me it's a "hook". So yes I do take the position to guard your heart because you don't know who somebody is online and even if you're talking to a Single. I'm just saying...

Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Keep in mind that the early stages of relationships are typically infatuation, which isn't a bad thing as long as you understand infatuation.

It is the thing that hooks us and keeps us interested long enough to get to know someone.

The feelings are experienced in an exaggerated way, not that the person is exaggerating, but just that they feel everything more deeply than they typically would. So words like amazing, fascinating, wonderful, brilliant, etc, get tossed around. They truly mean it when they say it, because that is what they are feeling.

After you've gotten to know each other better, the infatuation dies down, and you view each other more realistically. This isn't a bad thing either. This is the time when you want to make a choice about whether to stick to this relationship and see if it is going to grow into something more. Sometimes it makes people disappointed because they want to live in the infatuated stage because it feels so good. However, you can't function well in life that way as a couple. There has to be a realistic view of each other and life in general in order for a lasting relationship to be healthy.

So, let them tell you that you're fascinating, and tell them how you feel, too. But don't get discouraged when fascinating turns into lovely and then likable and then responsible and loyal.

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟946,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
When I receive a compliment I respond with a sincere thank you. Whether it occurs online or in person. I don’t readily assume something negative or look for angles in our discourse. I ask for the Holy Spirit’s assistance with my discernment.

Upvote 0

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟186,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

He is actually trying to hard to make it sound like he's sounding superficial. Like he doesn't want to compliment you on your appearance because...well...she's probably gets a lot of it.

Upvote 0

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian

Does he say what that something is?

Upvote 0

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
Nope, just that something was fascinating. I'm not sure what's so fascinating about me, but I'll take it. :D

This may be my own suspicious nature but unless somebody is specific in their compliment, I don't find it very sincere. Speaking in generalities gives me little to go on and I find it hard to trust a person's motives. It gives me the impression that they don't really know me or are being superficial.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lily Sunflower

Jun 8, 2019
New England
✟10,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This may be my own suspicious nature but unless somebody is specific in their compliment, I don't find it very sincere. Speaking in generalities gives me little to go on and I find it hard to trust a person's motives. It gives me the impression that they don't really know me or are being superficial.

Yeah, you're probably right. I want to believe that he's sincere, but I have a feeling he's used that same line with other women too.

Upvote 0

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
To me to say someone s fascinating is another way to say I've seen something of the uniqueness that God creates each of us with.

But if you can't tell them why and instead speak in generalizations, you're just blowing smoke.

Upvote 0