Need help compiling a list of denominations

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ScottF

I need help compiling an accurate list of denominations by types or "wings". I'm trying to make this list by 3 classifications. (Wow, if somebody had an encyclopedia that they could look in, that would be awesome!)

1) list all the conservative (or evangelical) denominations seperately

2) list all the mainline denominations seperately

3) list all the liberal denominations seperately

(is there any other "wing" I'm forgetting?)

I am a baptist and I already know I belong to category #1. So there is the first one for our list.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

ArnautDaniel

Veteran
Aug 28, 2006
The Village
✟22,153.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I need help compiling an accurate list of denominations by types or "wings". I'm trying to make this list by 3 classifications. (Wow, if somebody had an encyclopedia that they could look in, that would be awesome!)

I am a baptist and I already know I belong to category #1. So there is the first one for our list.

Many thanks

I saw an encyclopedia of religions in America once.

It was surprisingly thick.

Upvote 0

LamorakDesGalis

Sep 22, 2004
Dallas Texas
✟11,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Some denominations are predominately evangelical while others liberal, however breaking down denominations according to your labels can be a bit tricky. For example, the Methodist Church is a mainline denomination; there is clearly a liberal element within the Methodist leadership, but there are also conservatives; I am aware of some Methodist ministers who are evangelical Christians but have choosen to work from within the Methodist church. Hope I haven't confused you.

Well, here are the major branches of Christianity:

The Catholic branch, the main church being the Roman Catholic Church. There are also a number of smaller churches like the Old Catholics and the Marionites.

The Orthodox branch with Eastern Orthodox and Oriental churches. The largest of these in the US is the Greek Orthodox Church.

The Protestant branch, with the following groups:

Adventists
Baptists
Congregationalists
Episcopalians (Anglicans)
Fundamentalists (Bible Churches)
Holiness Churches (Nazarenes, Salvation Army)
Lutherans
Mennonites
Methodists
Pentecostals (Assemblies of God)
Pietists and Brethren
Presbyterians
Quakers (Friends)
Reformed Churches
Restoration Movement (Christian Churches, Churches of Christ, Disciples of Christ)

The vast majority of Protestant church organizations would fit within these groups. Unitarians are generally considered a separate group but their historic roots are in Congregationalism. However there are smaller groups such as Messianic Jews and the Worldwide Church of God that aren't connected with any of the ones listed above.

LDG

Upvote 0
S

ScottF

Yes, it seems like there is different levels of conservativeness (is there such a word?) in each of the three wings. This makes it all the more difficult to classify each denomination.

But thanks to the links provided earlier (thanks Calminaion) I was able to find a more general break down of each of the more common denominations. I had no idea there were so many denominations.

For example, here is the one for "mainline" denominations.

Upvote 0
S

ScottF

Here's what I have compiled so far, mostly just from surfing around the internet.

Conservative wing
Fundamentalists, Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, (LDS) Mormons, Unification Church, Assembly of God, Southern Baptist, Pentecostal/Charismatic, Holiness Churchess (Nazarenes, Salvation Army), Seventh Day Adventist, Inependent Baptist, Church of Christ, Church of God in Christ, Lutheran Mo. Synod, National Baptist Church, Nondenominational, Presbyterian in America

Moderate (Mainline) wing
American Baptist Churches in the USA, Presbyterian Church (USA), United Methodist Church, Episcopal Church, Desciples of Christ, Lutheran, Church of Christ,

Liberal wing
Evangelical Lutheran Church of America, Progressive Christianity, Evolutionary Christianity, United Church of Christ, Unitarian

Here are some common denoms that I don't know where to classify under:

Congregational
Evangelical Free
Mennonite
Quaker
Jehovah's Witness
Messianic Judiasm

Upvote 0

LamorakDesGalis

Sep 22, 2004
Dallas Texas
✟11,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The LDS church (Mormons) is generally conservative in a cultural and political sense, but doctrinally it isn't regarded as a Christian denomination. Unification Church also isn't regarded as a Christian organization.

Congregational churches are often liberal, such as the United Churches of Christ.

The Evangelical Free Church is conservative.

Mennonites and Quakers tend to be moderate.

Jehovah's Witnesses aren't a Christian organization, but would be considered conservative in a cultural sense.

Messianic Judiasm are mostly conservative with some moderate.

LDG

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

a_ntv

Ens Liturgicum
Apr 21, 2006
✟35,618.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Here's what I have compiled so far, mostly just from surfing around the internet.

Conservative wing
Fundamentalists, Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, (LDS) Mormons, Unification Church, Assembly of God, Southern Baptist, Pentecostal/Charismatic, Holiness Churchess (Nazarenes, Salvation Army), Seventh Day Adventist, Inependent Baptist, Church of Christ, Church of God in Christ, Lutheran Mo. Synod, National Baptist Church, Nondenominational, Presbyterian in America

Moderate (Mainline) wing
American Baptist Churches in the USA, Presbyterian Church (USA), United Methodist Church, Episcopal Church, Desciples of Christ, Lutheran, Church of Christ,

Liberal wing
Evangelical Lutheran Church of America, Progressive Christianity, Evolutionary Christianity, United Church of Christ, Unitarian

I think that you forgot lots of Churches:
The Eastern Orthodox shall not at all be confused with the Oriental Orthodox Churches (Armenian, Copt, Syrian, Ethiopic) or with the ACOE (Assyrian Church of the East).
...and I can go on...

I rembember you that a catholic or a orthodox do NOT want to be classified as 'denomination'. The word 'denomination' can be used only within Protestantism.
The Catholic Church is a Church, NOT a denomination.

Your division in Conservative/Moderate/Liberal is very unclear: you can be very conservative in doctrine but to be very liberal in moral or in liturgy....
Anyway within the Catholic Church, you can easy find both very Conservatives (as Opus Dei) and very Liberals (as Jesuits).

Upvote 0
S

ScottF

I'm trying to break each church down according their overall belief systems.

For example: Their teaching on abortion access, origins of the earth and the rest of the universe, equal rights for gays and lesbians, same-sex "marriage", euthanasia, human cloning, stem cell research, ordination of women, death penalty, spanking of children, and other "hot-button" issues.

After I get a general sense that the list isn't growing anymore or in need of correcting, then maybe we can try to rank each church according to their overall "conservativeness" within each sub category. Somewhere on the internet I saw such a list, but to my great regret, I lost it!

Upvote 0
S

ScottF

Okay, here is an updated list:

Conservative
Fundamentalists (bible churches), Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, (LDS) Mormons (non christian (?)(!)), Unification church, Assembly of God, Southern Baptist, Pentecostal/Charismatic, Holiness Churches (Nazarenes, Salvation Army), Seventh Day Adventist, Independent Baptist, Church of Christ (Restoration Movement), Church of God in Christ, Lutheran Mo. Synod, National Baptist Church, Nondenominational, Presbyterian in America, Evangelical Free Church, Jehovah's Witness (non christian), Messianic Judiasm,

Moderate (mainline)
American Baptist Churches in the USA, Presbyterian Church (USA), United Methodist Church, Episcopal Church (Anglican), Desciples of Christ, Lutheran, Church of Christ, Mennonites, Quakers (Friends),

Liberal
Evangelical Lutheran Church of America, Progressive Christianity, Evolutionary Christianity, Congregational (United Church of Christ), Unitarian (non christian),

I debated on whether or not to put the non christian churches on this list, but for now I put them in there, if for no other reason then to give people a general idea of what I'm trying to do.

Under which categories should I place the following:

Anabaptists
Pietists and Brethren
Oriental Churches
Greek Orthodox Church
Marionites
Old Catholics
Reformed Churches
Worldwide Church of God

Upvote 0

FLANDIDLYANDERS

When I am slain may my corpse lie facing the Enemy
Aug 16, 2005
Pompey
✟20,336.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
And where do New Chrches or Emergent fit in? Cos we have a wide variety of beliefs in my community, which would flit around some of the issues you have described. To some curches actually formalise this personal stuff? Seems a bit exclusive, like saying "you cant be in my church because you like suger or are gay or have cancer" or some such rubbish. Exclude over specifics - seems like a shot in the foot.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

a_ntv

Ens Liturgicum
Apr 21, 2006
✟35,618.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I'm trying to break each church down according their overall belief systems.

For example: Their teaching on abortion access, origins of the earth and the rest of the universe, equal rights for gays and lesbians, same-sex "marriage", euthanasia, human cloning, stem cell research, ordination of women, death penalty, spanking of children, and other "hot-button" issues.

Well...this is almost impossible to do because the criterias of conservative can vary a lot matter by matter.

Ad instance the Catholic Church is:
- conservartive about: sex "marriage", euthanasia, human cloning, stem cell research, ordination of women
- liberal: about origins of the earth and the rest of the universe or death penalty

Or ad instance the difference can be about the interpretation of the Bible: strictly litteral as in many fundementalis denomination, or more liberal as in CC: but also this is not a rule: on divorce the CC is by far more conservative than any other church or denomination.

Anyway:

- Oriental Churches: conservative
- Greek Orthodox Church: it is a part of the EO
- Marionites: Maronites, Melkites, Ruthenians (and other lots of eatern rite catholics) are part of the Catholic Church, even if not Roman.
- Old Catholics: it is like Episcopalian

if you like clasification of Catholic and Orthodox Churches you can visit http://atlasofchurch.altervista.org/vari/inglese.htm

Upvote 0
S

ScottF

Well...this is almost impossible to do because the criterias of conservative can vary a lot matter by matter.

Ad instance the Catholic Church is:
- conservartive about: sex "marriage", euthanasia, human cloning, stem cell research, ordination of women
- liberal: about origins of the earth and the rest of the universe or death penalty

Or ad instance the difference can be about the interpretation of the Bible: strictly litteral as in many fundementalis denomination, or more liberal as in CC: but also this is not a rule: on divorce the CC is by far more conservative than any other church or denomination.

Anyway:

- Oriental Churches: conservative
- Greek Orthodox Church: it is a part of the EO
- Marionites: Maronites, Melkites, Ruthenians (and other lots of eatern rite catholics) are part of the Catholic Church, even if not Roman.
- Old Catholics: it is like Episcopalian

if you like clasification of Catholic and Orthodox Churches you can visit http://atlasofchurch.altervista.org/vari/inglese.htm
Good point. Maybe I'm going about this the wrong way. Instead of lumping each individual church into a broad category, maybe I should just rank each church based on a given number of social hot button issues (say 10 or so). Then rank each church in decending order based on simple majority of overall conservativeness. (example: the churches with the most number of liberal views will be nearest the bottom of the list and the churches with the most number of conservative views will be near the top of the list.). Fundamentalists will occupy the top number one slot and Unitarians will occupy the very last position with all others filling in the inbetween according to simple majority.

Upvote 0

lmnop9876

Aug 29, 2005
✟8,364.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's no good to try and categorize Christian denominations into 3 neat categories, some may be conservative theologically, but liberal socially or morally, or vice versa.
anyway, the main branches of Christianity worldwide are:

[Roman or Vatican] Catholic churches. Among the oldest churches in christendom, headed by the Bishop of Rome, known as the Pope, or father. a variety of different national churches with various cardinals and patriarchs as their leaders, all united as one worldwide body. the structure is essentially episcopal, that is, with bishops, presbyters, and deacons, although other offices, such as sub-deacon, canon, &c. do exist. conservative on essential doctrines such as the Trinity and the Incarnation, does hold some controversial and misunderstood doctrines. morally conservative, although views of individual members do vary.

[Eastern] Orthodox churches: not to be confused with [Oriental] Orthodox Churches or the Church of the East. some orthodox Churches date from the time of the Apostles. national churches organisationally headed by bishops known variously as patriarchs, popes, metropolitans, or archbishops, are united by a common faith and common liturgy. most are in communion with the patriarch of constantinople (new rome), although some are not. particularly national churches include the Russian Orthodox Church, the Greek Orthodox Church, the Antiochian Orthodox Church, the Orthodox Church of Jerusalem, and the Serbian Orthodox Church. doctrinally conservative on essential doctrines, although some teachings and practices (as with the Catholic Churches) may appear strange to western protestant Christians. morally very conservative, although may appear socially progressive to some evangelicals.

[Oriental] Orthodox Churches: the primary churches are the armenian orthodox church and the coptic orthodox church, although there are others. very ancient churches, split from the orthodox and catholic over issue of Christ having one or two natures. some are beginning to move towards further communion with other churches, and their doctrine on the Incarnation is essentially the same as the EO and the CC. very similar to EO.

Churches of the East ["Nestorian"]. these churches are perhaps the most misunderstood in all of Christendom, and are very ancient. some of them acknowledge Nestorius as a saint and doctor of the Church. the Assyrian Church of the East is moving towards closer communion with the Catholic Church. morally and theologically conservative, similar in practice to EO and OO.

Anglican/Episcopal Churches: vary very widely, from liberal to highly conservative. the Church of England is one of the oldest in Christendom, and have spread their faith to many other countries throughout the world. recent splits over both theological and moral issues have detracted from the previous unity displayed by this communion.

Old Catholic: Similar in many ways to the Episcopalian or Anglican Churches, some are very conservative, others are more liberal. episcopal structure, most split from the Catholic Church rather late in the picture, while maintaining most of her traditional teachings.

Note: these first 6 are what are often called "apostolic churches" because they maintain an episcopal succession back to the Apostles. while other churches may date back to the Apostles, they do not have this unbroken episcopal succesion (some Lutheran churches are the exception)

Lutheran/Evangelical Catholic Churches: Some of these Churches, such as the Scandinavian Churches, are very ancient, others have been founded in more recent times. Like the Episcopalians, they vary widely, although much more likely to be doctrinally and morally conservative.

Reformed/Presbyterian: Because of recent doctrinal changes by some Presbyterian Churches, the name Presbyterian no longer also implies reformed as it once did. established in countries such as scotland, the netherlands, and some other european countries. some of these churches are very ancient, although significantly restructured during the 16th & 17th centuries. traditionally doctrinally and morally conservative, although some, such as the PCUSA, are more flexible today.

Anabaptist (Mennonite, Amish, &c.): Dating from the 16th century, these churches were formed by people splitting from the mainline churches over issues such as infant baptism, church and state, &c. morally conservative and orthodox in essential doctrines, some attracted a bad name through what a few members did.

Congregational: These churches split from the mainline churches over the issue of church government, believing that each congregation should be independent. they were once morally and doctrinally conservative, but now vary widely.

Baptist: Some of these are also Reformed, while others are not. most today are morally conservative, and orthodox in the essential doctrines, though rejecting infant baptism. structure is essentially congregational. mostly derived from 16th century splits from other protestant churches.

Methodist: can also be Reformed, strong emphasis on internal work of the Spirit. formed in the 18th century through splits from Anglicanism. today, vary widely in moral and social values, although doctrinally orthodox.

Pentecostal: these churches emphasise the importance of being Spirit-filled, including the gifts of the Spirit that were seen in the first century. most were formed in the 19th and 20th century. most are orthodox in the core doctrines, although some hold to the "oneness" heresy. many are morally conservative, some are morally conservative but socially progressive, while others are more liberal.

Seventh-day adventists: believe that the last day of the week is the Sabbath, and that this law of God is still relevant to today. have other, often misunderstood or misrepresented beliefs about the coming of Christ and the state of the soul after death. formed in the 19th century. morally conservative, and orthodox in the core doctrines.

other churches exist who do not belong to any denomination or Christian tradition, preferring simply to be called "Churches of Christ", "Christian Churches," or non-denominational

other sects claiming to be Christian:

Jehovah's Witnesses: deny the full deity of Christ. morally conservative, but doctrinally unorthodox (in fact, heretical). formed in the late 19th & early 20th centuries.

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints ("Mormons"): morally conservative, but doctrinally heretical. deny many core doctrines of Christianity. formed in the 19th century.

sorry if i've missed any major branches, it wasn't intentional. hope this helps you.

Upvote 0
S

ScottF

It's no good to try and categorize Christian denominations into 3 neat categories, some may be conservative theologically, but liberal socially or morally, or vice versa.
anyway, the main branches of Christianity worldwide are:

[Roman or Vatican] Catholic churches. Among the oldest churches in christendom, headed by the Bishop of Rome, known as the Pope, or father. a variety of different national churches with various cardinals and patriarchs as their leaders, all united as one worldwide body. the structure is essentially episcopal, that is, with bishops, presbyters, and deacons, although other offices, such as sub-deacon, canon, &c. do exist. conservative on essential doctrines such as the Trinity and the Incarnation, does hold some controversial and misunderstood doctrines. morally conservative, although views of individual members do vary.

[Eastern] Orthodox churches: not to be confused with [Oriental] Orthodox Churches or the Church of the East. some orthodox Churches date from the time of the Apostles. national churches organisationally headed by bishops known variously as patriarchs, popes, metropolitans, or archbishops, are united by a common faith and common liturgy. most are in communion with the patriarch of constantinople (new rome), although some are not. particularly national churches include the Russian Orthodox Church, the Greek Orthodox Church, the Antiochian Orthodox Church, the Orthodox Church of Jerusalem, and the Serbian Orthodox Church. doctrinally conservative on essential doctrines, although some teachings and practices (as with the Catholic Churches) may appear strange to western protestant Christians. morally very conservative, although may appear socially progressive to some evangelicals.

[Oriental] Orthodox Churches: the primary churches are the armenian orthodox church and the coptic orthodox church, although there are others. very ancient churches, split from the orthodox and catholic over issue of Christ having one or two natures. some are beginning to move towards further communion with other churches, and their doctrine on the Incarnation is essentially the same as the EO and the CC. very similar to EO.

Churches of the East ["Nestorian"]. these churches are perhaps the most misunderstood in all of Christendom, and are very ancient. some of them acknowledge Nestorius as a saint and doctor of the Church. the Assyrian Church of the East is moving towards closer communion with the Catholic Church. morally and theologically conservative, similar in practice to EO and OO.

Anglican/Episcopal Churches: vary very widely, from liberal to highly conservative. the Church of England is one of the oldest in Christendom, and have spread their faith to many other countries throughout the world. recent splits over both theological and moral issues have detracted from the previous unity displayed by this communion.

Old Catholic: Similar in many ways to the Episcopalian or Anglican Churches, some are very conservative, others are more liberal. episcopal structure, most split from the Catholic Church rather late in the picture, while maintaining most of her traditional teachings.

Note: these first 6 are what are often called "apostolic churches" because they maintain an episcopal succession back to the Apostles. while other churches may date back to the Apostles, they do not have this unbroken episcopal succesion (some Lutheran churches are the exception)

Lutheran/Evangelical Catholic Churches: Some of these Churches, such as the Scandinavian Churches, are very ancient, others have been founded in more recent times. Like the Episcopalians, they vary widely, although much more likely to be doctrinally and morally conservative.

Reformed/Presbyterian: Because of recent doctrinal changes by some Presbyterian Churches, the name Presbyterian no longer also implies reformed as it once did. established in countries such as scotland, the netherlands, and some other european countries. some of these churches are very ancient, although significantly restructured during the 16th & 17th centuries. traditionally doctrinally and morally conservative, although some, such as the PCUSA, are more flexible today.

Anabaptist (Mennonite, Amish, &c.): Dating from the 16th century, these churches were formed by people splitting from the mainline churches over issues such as infant baptism, church and state, &c. morally conservative and orthodox in essential doctrines, some attracted a bad name through what a few members did.

Congregational: These churches split from the mainline churches over the issue of church government, believing that each congregation should be independent. they were once morally and doctrinally conservative, but now vary widely.

Baptist: Some of these are also Reformed, while others are not. most today are morally conservative, and orthodox in the essential doctrines, though rejecting infant baptism. structure is essentially congregational. mostly derived from 16th century splits from other protestant churches.

Methodist: can also be Reformed, strong emphasis on internal work of the Spirit. formed in the 18th century through splits from Anglicanism. today, vary widely in moral and social values, although doctrinally orthodox.

Pentecostal: these churches emphasise the importance of being Spirit-filled, including the gifts of the Spirit that were seen in the first century. most were formed in the 19th and 20th century. most are orthodox in the core doctrines, although some hold to the "oneness" heresy. many are morally conservative, some are morally conservative but socially progressive, while others are more liberal.

Seventh-day adventists: believe that the last day of the week is the Sabbath, and that this law of God is still relevant to today. have other, often misunderstood or misrepresented beliefs about the coming of Christ and the state of the soul after death. formed in the 19th century. morally conservative, and orthodox in the core doctrines.

other churches exist who do not belong to any denomination or Christian tradition, preferring simply to be called "Churches of Christ", "Christian Churches," or non-denominational

other sects claiming to be Christian:

Jehovah's Witnesses: deny the full deity of Christ. morally conservative, but doctrinally unorthodox (in fact, heretical). formed in the late 19th & early 20th centuries.

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints ("Mormons"): morally conservative, but doctrinally heretical. deny many core doctrines of Christianity. formed in the 19th century.

sorry if i've missed any major branches, it wasn't intentional. hope this helps you.
Wow, thanks, yes it does.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.