Corpus Christi, Texas
✟15,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Divorced
I have (today) rejoined the Eastern Orthodox church after an absence and wandering aimlessly for seven or more years. But the church I am going to, because of Covid, has gotten rid of all its printouts or liturgical reference books. I'd like to purchase a book containing all the liturgies, prayers, vespers, etc. so I can follow the services. I'm a senior, with bad hearing, so I can't always understand the priest or the chants. What book would serve my purpose best, something as complete as possible? And something with pages and a cover, please!

SeraphimSarov

Пресвятая Богородица, спаси нас...
Feb 16, 2007
Nowhere
✟36,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
The first question is what jurisdiction your parish belongs to. Ideally, you'll have a book that matches the translation of the services that your parish uses so that you're not stumbling all the time over different wording. I mean it's not impossible, it's not like the content differs among jurisdictions, but it's nice to read exactly what's being chanted.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I have (today) rejoined the Eastern Orthodox church after an absence and wandering aimlessly for seven or more years. But the church I am going to, because of Covid, has gotten rid of all its printouts or liturgical reference books. I'd like to purchase a book containing all the liturgies, prayers, vespers, etc. so I can follow the services. I'm a senior, with bad hearing, so I can't always understand the priest or the chants. What book would serve my purpose best, something as complete as possible? And something with pages and a cover, please!
It doesn't meet the "pages and a cover" requirement but the Digital Chant Stand Ages Initiative app/site is what I use.
On my phone, I can switch from English to Greek with just a tap on the text.

AGES Initiatives

Upvote 0

Lawrence87

Jan 23, 2021
No
✟32,311.00
Country
Western Sahara
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'm guessing they aren't handing out the books because normally they get returned and they want to avoid them being handled by multiple people? If so I'd just ask if I could buy one for my own personal use, and explain the situation regarding finding it difficult to follow.

The Jordanville Prayer Book contains the text for the Divine Liturgy in English. Depending on whether your parish does services in English, you could follow with that... But you might run into translation differences, and some parishes will truncate it sometimes, so you might find this gets you lost. So I think it's probably best to talk to someone and explain that you are struggling to follow it and you might find they make an exception for you.

Upvote 0