Nov 8, 2003
North Carolina
Visit site
✟7,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Ok I have a little problem. Well actually it's not a little problem it's a kinda big problem. I am a member of the Leesville High School Symphonic band and about 7 years ago a bible study started. I attended this bible study until the focus was no longer on what it should be, the teachings of Jesus Christ. Basically there are these 3 or 4 people who are baptists (I have nothing against baptists) who have taken over the group. They decide who leads the lesson and who gets to talk for how long. They also have been having this attitude towards the cathilocs in the group that has caused many to leave the group. They've told some of my cathiloc friends that they were going to hell b/c of what we believe and one of them has told his friend that the only reason he wouldn't date my friend mary is because she is cathiloc. Now my friend Katy and I are thinking about standing up to the group and talking about how we feel. We want to talk to them about the way we worship and basically how christians are not suppose to put other people down. We are very afraid to do this, I'm not very good in front of groups and this is a really big deal for me. I just need some advice and prayers. I really want this to stop and I really really want people to realize that christians are christians no matter if they are baptist, catholic etc. Thanks guys!

Koop

Feb 24, 2003
Madison, WI
Visit site
✟15,339.00
Faith
Christian
I really feel for you! That is a rough place to be in. I'm not going to offer much advice to you because i think you already have a good heart about this issue. My only real recomendation is don't do it in front of a goup of people. Rebuking people is a rather personal thing. Doing in front of others will only make them defencive and put them down. Talk with the people who are in error 1 on 1 or you and your friend with the group of four students. Other than that like you said have your biblical evidence ready, and know your postion very well. I would also recomend seeking advice from a youth leader or pastor you are close to. They could have some good insights for you. I'll be praying for you. Good luck!

Upvote 0

Follower of Christ

Literal 6 Day Creationist<br />''An Evening and a
Mar 12, 2003
✟7,754.00
Faith
Christian
Teen4Jesus said:
Ok I have a little problem. Well actually it's not a little problem it's a kinda big problem. I am a member of the Leesville High School Symphonic band and about 7 years ago a bible study started. I attended this bible study until the focus was no longer on what it should be, the teachings of Jesus Christ. Basically there are these 3 or 4 people who are baptists (I have nothing against baptists) who have taken over the group. They decide who leads the lesson and who gets to talk for how long. They also have been having this attitude towards the cathilocs in the group that has caused many to leave the group. They've told some of my cathiloc friends that they were going to hell b/c of what we believe and one of them has told his friend that the only reason he wouldn't date my friend mary is because she is cathiloc. Now my friend Katy and I are thinking about standing up to the group and talking about how we feel. We want to talk to them about the way we worship and basically how christians are not suppose to put other people down. We are very afraid to do this, I'm not very good in front of groups and this is a really big deal for me. I just need some advice and prayers. I really want this to stop and I really really want people to realize that christians are christians no matter if they are baptist, catholic etc. Thanks guys!
You know, you and youre friends sound as if you may be better off without these others.

Im not into Catholic teachings and whatnot, but if yoiu love God and are born again, then maybe you and your friends might be better off just studying on yoiur own.

I mean, do you really want to be influenced by folks who behave that way?

If you love your savoir with all your heart, dont ever let anyone convince you that you are going to hell.
God knows your heart and you dont have to prove yourself to anyone.
niether do your friends.

Praise Him and love Him and He will guide you in the path He wants you on.

Upvote 0

Koop

Feb 24, 2003
Madison, WI
Visit site
✟15,339.00
Faith
Christian
I'm not sure i agree with that Follower. Can you explain further what you mean? Leaving the group to study elsewhere would simply be creating more division in their already established body. If things won't change obviously leaving is necisary, but should they not try to fix the situation before creating more devision?

Upvote 0

Follower of Christ

Literal 6 Day Creationist<br />''An Evening and a
Mar 12, 2003
✟7,754.00
Faith
Christian
Koop said:
I'm not sure i agree with that Follower. Can you explain further what you mean? Leaving the group to study elsewhere would simply be creating more division in their already established body. If things won't change obviously leaving is necisary, but should they not try to fix the situation before creating more devision?
Im not sure.
Obviously fixing the problem is always the best way.
But Ive seen far to many churches and and study groups (zenost) who basically will not budge even tho they are not representing Christ.

If the OP is in the wrong then surely she can change.
But it sounds to me like the girls in charge are the problem.

Now how many churches have an issue with leadership and how often can one waltz in and get that leadership to come about and get back on track?

Ive watched many churches fall and crumble as far as leadership goes as they would rather let the church fall apart rather than admit wrong and make changes in that leadership to conform to a more biblical approach.

Upvote 0

desi

Aug 20, 2003
La Vista
✟4,540.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You should find the scripture where Jesus talks about a divided house being unable to stand and all other references to the Church remaining whole, also bring a Catholic Bible to the group and confront them about their anti-Catholic bigotry and how wrong it is to spurn and desparage fellow Christians. What they are doing is wrong and they need to be set straight.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Living4Him03

Just wanna dance with you
Nov 16, 2003
Fort Worth, Texas
Visit site
✟18,965.00
Faith
Protestant
in my high school, there was one guy, a fewllow baptist who went around telling catholics they are bound for hell. Boy was I livid with him when I found my best friend, a Catholic, crying in the hallway after classes because of what he said to her! It was awful! I think the concern is that Catholics do not have an "invitation" during their services (at least at the ones I have attended) for people to come to the altar to accept Christ. However, they do have confirmation and I do believe they teach that salvation is only through a personal relationship with Christ. I have spoken with my friend and her parents about this and they agreed that we are only saved through accepting Christ. I think that there are so many nominal Catholics out there that we have ended up generalizing the behavior and beliefs of nominal Catholics to the devout Catholics who have accepted Christ and are living for HIm. Explain to your friends that regardless of denomination anyone has the ability to have a relationship with Christ! Also let them know that being exclusive and having only one denomination lead the bible study has caused alot of hurt. If they truly have Christ in their lives they will recognize their misbehavior, repent, and make an effort to become more unified. God bless you :)

Upvote 0

Carico

Oct 12, 2003
Visit site
✟22,071.00
Faith
Christian
I agree. There are many in any denomination who aren't saved. The best thing we can do as believers is to encourage a personal relationship with Christ for those who ask. I find in situations like that, it's best to wait until the topic comes up. I then talk about forgiveness rather than damnation.

Upvote 0