colleen

We are an Easter people!
Mar 8, 2002
✟21,098.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
For all those who refuse to support the Girl Scouts, or allow their children to join: Do you also boycott every oraganization/company that supports planned parenthood? Do you check with big companies to see if they match their employees donations (if they do they most likely have given money to planned parenthood)? I'm not sure it is fair to punish an organization which minus some connections to pp is an excellent organization that provides young women with opportunites that wouldn't normally be available to them, but continue supporting corporations that also fund pp.

If the local troop is trying to get pp involved that's a whole different story, but you should be able to check with the local leader about that. And, then you could always become a troop leader yourself in which case the problem of direct influence of pp on your daugther would not be an issue at all.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,089,385.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Maybe they presented the Juliette Low Award to Kavita Ramdas, president and CEO of the Global Fund for Women, before she became CEO of this organization.

Maybe they invited her to be a keynote speaker because of the fund's social justice work fighting such conditions as domestic violence and for economic equality and women's health care.

Maybe they thought that it was good that American Scout leaders recognize that there are many other social evils besides abortion and that if human trafficking were stopped, not only would their be fewer abortions, but their would be fewer women driven to psychosis....

The one thing I do know is that they invited Ramdas to speak not because her organization supports the 'right to choose' as a last ditch alternative (they have given many grants for contraception to reduce abortions...) but because her organization is responsible for saving many women's lives and giving human dignity to many others.

I daresay that if you asked the participants of the Conference what Ramdas' speech was about, I'm sure they would have said it was about counteracting poverty and injustice. Maybe the listeners developed a new understanding of the dangers and horrors of living in countries with female circumcision and human trafficking and female stonings.

They probably wouldn't even know what her position on abortion was--because, according to their website, where abortion isn't even listed unless you put in a word search, it is only a very small part of their advocacy work.

When I hear a speaker like Ramdas, I don't accept everything she says at face value. I think to myself, "This speaker, by virtue of her background, culture, and experience, may not share every single value I share. But that won't stop me from respecting the enormous amount of good she does. I will not necessarily expect her to hold white western-European Catholic beliefs that she has little experience with, but I will expect her to be moral according to the dictates of her own culture."

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
For all those who refuse to support the Girl Scouts, or allow their children to join: Do you also boycott every oraganization/company that supports planned parenthood? Do you check with big companies to see if they match their employees donations (if they do they most likely have given money to planned parenthood)
well I TRY--but like I said in the other thread, sometimes it is like trying to boycott breathing the air.

But I don't think that parents should have to feel this kind of pressure to involve their children in it --for whatever reasons they have. And if they would rather involve their kids in 4-H or another girls organization, or other sorts of activities, there isn't anything wrong with it. It's up to them how they rear their children.

Upvote 0

geocajun

Priest of the holy smackrament
Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Fantine, please get your own thread if you want to discuss other companies, and their immorality. This thread is a thread seeking parental advice, and not seeking your criticism of how serious I consider the connection between the girl scouts and planned parenthood to be.

Upvote 0

geocajun

Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Do you guys have girls brigade as well over there? Or you could encourage her to join cubs (the junior section of Baden-Powells scouts) though it would be mostly boys, I know they have a strong Christian connection.
I've never heard of either of those organizations. I'll check them out, thanks :)

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟439,358.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
My daughter did girl scouts a bit late...

It was cool though.
They baked cookies, gave to the poor.
They made gift baskets for the elderly at the nursing home and sang for them.

They did alot of things thta taught them how to give.

I didn't mind it, even though she didnt join until she was in like 3rd grade.

Peer pressure and kids telling her they joined.
ALTHOUGH most of the kids she scouted with were from the public school and not her school.
She lived in a different district than her Catholic school mates.

They also march in parades. :)

Upvote 0

colleen

We are an Easter people!
Mar 8, 2002
✟21,098.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Fantine, please get your own thread if you want to discuss other companies, and their immorality. This thread is a thread seeking parental advice, and not seeking your criticism of how serious I consider the connection between the girl scouts and planned parenthood to be.
Sorry, if I implied that you shouldn't be concerned with your daughter's welfare as that was not my intention. I just thought you were looking for opinions on the girl scouts both ways. If you absolutely don't want her in girl scouts than I would tell her why. I learned very early on that standing up for your beliefs is more important than being popular. I also doubt that any girls are going to refuse to be her friend because she is not a girl scout. And, by the third or fourth grade girls are going to be dropping out of girl scouts in droves so don't worry. God bless you and your family, Jason.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

geocajun

Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Sorry, if I implied that you shouldn't be concerned with your daughter's welfare as that was not my intention. I just thought you were looking for opinions on the girl scouts both ways. If you absolutely don't want her in girl scouts than I would tell her why. I learned very early on that standing up for your beliefs is more important than being popular. I also doubt that any girls are going to refuse to be her friend because she is not a girl scout. And, by the third or fourth grade girls are going to be dropping out of girl scouts in droves so don't worry. God bless you and your family, Jason.
You didn't. I appreciated your comments about your experience with the girl scouts. thx

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.