Fredericksburg
✟15,877.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hi. I am a devoted Christian female married to a nominal Christian who has committed adultery. I forgave the adultery, but he refuses to work and is on the run from law. He was on disability collecting $750/mo but he lost it and isn't seeking God or work. I understand that adultery is grounds for divorce, but I know God hates divorce at the same time. I don't know what to do. I'm looking for thoughts from anyone who feels moved, but particularly from other Christians who have faced similar situations. Also, I have become lukewarm in my faith I believe partially because my desire is toward my husband and he does not seek God.

Thanks

Pilgrim

Praying without ceasing
Mar 26, 2017
between the pages of the Bible.
Visit site
✟192,961.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi. I am a devoted Christian female married to a nominal Christian who has committed adultery. I forgave the adultery, but he refuses to work and is on the run from law. He was on disability collecting $750/mo but he lost it and isn't seeking God or work. I understand that adultery is grounds for divorce, but I know God hates divorce at the same time. I don't know what to do. I'm looking for thoughts from anyone who feels moved, but particularly from other Christians who have faced similar situations. Also, I have become lukewarm in my faith I believe partially because my desire is toward my husband and he does not seek God.

Thanks
Jennifer, you're in my prayers. I encourage you to read some of the daily devotionals here on Christian Forums. You will find some members there who share the same marital burden as you've described. There's also a forum for married couples. Welcome to Christian Forums too. I hope you stick around and make us part of your family.
Welcome again, and I hope you become a part of the family here...

Upvote 0

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Thanks

I have, sadly, been on the receiving end of divorce. My former wife committed adultery and also pulled the trigger on the divorce. I know the struggle that it put the kids through before and after. I don't wish that on anyone. But, being forced into that sad situation didn't move me away from my strong faith. I understood it was an attack; but I wasn't about to give away the greatest gift I have ever received--my relationship with God--because things happened in this world I didn't like.

You said you forgave your husband's adultery and since you said your desire is for your husband, it sounds like you don't want divorce anyway. Be assured that his lack of working and nominal Christianity aren't legitimate reasons to seek divorce, according to the Scriptures (See 1 Cor 7 for example or Matt 19:9).

The most important thing you can do is pray and ask God in accordance with His Word what you want to happen--your marriage being restored, renewed, and even stronger than before, to be a house built on Jesus Christ--the firm foundation, to be truly devoted to Him so that in the good times and in the tough times, you are growing closer and closer to Him and that you will never drift again, but become more resolute in crises. Go to 1 Cor 7 and talk to God about your unbelieving husband and ask that God would do the work in His heart to make him the head of the house that God wants him to be--one that loves God and brings glory to His Name in everything he does and doesn't do. Be like the nagging woman with the unrighteous judge. Ask and ask and ask God to do something to change your situation. Ask God to show you what He wants you to do while He is doing His part. You don't have to say everything at once. The more you think to pray the more you are thinking about God. The more you are in His Word, the more you learn what to ask Him. He wants to be including in your life--through it all.

If you haven't watched War Room, I would recommend watching that. It may help give you some ideas on how to battle for your faith and your marriage and kindle some of your own unique prayers!

I would also recommend listening to Scripture and if possible while sleeping at night, too.

Jennifer, in the short paragraph, you referred to yourself as both devoted and lukewarm. God can fix things; but you can't and I can't. Earnestly give this whole situation to Him and trust Him with the outcome.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Thanks
It sounds like he is trying to soothe pain he is in, for which there may be nothing you can do. Therapy may help, but he'd have to recognize he needs that kind of help first. He may need to hit rock bottom and then hit it again and again, possibly for years, until he has suffered so long that he starts being willing to accept help. The acquisition of such willingness is also a process. (He may start getting help then go back to his old ways).

Without a volume of details I don't have, I can't suggest anything about what you should or shouldn't do, but in theory, the high road would be to stay faithful to him, like God wanted Hosea to stay faithful (in the book of Hosea). God had even told him to take an adulterous wife before he was married! The number of people who can handle that may be few. Being already close to the Lord can help a lot, though. The advice of a counselor-pastor would probably of great benefit to you. You may need to make some changes to stop facilitating his bad behavior. Sacrificing what you want for what is good for him in the long run is a big part of genuine love.

You would benefit from heating up your lukewarm faith with action (it may not feel heated up). Are you praying daily? You can thank the Lord for good things you have and talk to him about your problems and ask for specific things and for help. Studying the Bible regularly should be on everyone's to-do list for the rest of their lives, because of the enormous blessings it brings in the long-term (which is God himself). If that is too hard right now, then even reading a bit of the Bible sometimes then talking to God about it (as well as what is troubling you) is valuable.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Thanks
If your husband is promiscuous and you try to stay with him, you could be at risk of a deadly sexually transmitted disease. If your husband is involved in crime, you should not let him make you do crimes too. Whether or not your marriage is worth saving is beyond me. If you want to try to save him, you might tell him what you require of him.

• Agree
Reactions: LoricaLady
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate

Thanks
It would seem to me you are free to divorce the man:

And I say to you: whoever divorces his wife, except for unchastity, and marries another, commits adultery." Matt 19:9 RSV

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,085,787.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
From what i see in the Bible a man can divorce for adultery, but i do not see where that is true for women. However, the idea of separating is seen as okay for women. If you separate and he is into adultery he will probably divorce you. Then it will be his choice and you will be free.

Upvote 0