Nearly got in big trouble sharing the Gospel- I'm shaken.

1Tonne

Dec 2, 2021
Taranaki
✟90,356.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Over the past three days, I've been spending about an hour or two at the park sharing the Gospel with people. When I do this, I challenge people to see if they can name the Ten Commandments in 60 seconds to win some chocolate. It usually sparks a lot of conversations about faith which leads to the Gospel. I've been doing this regularly for a couple of years now.

Today started off okay. I talked to a bunch of adults and some kids, mostly between 10 and 13 years old. (Kids were in a group)
After about half an hour, while I was chatting with a lady and her kids, I noticed a big guy watching me from a few meters away. He kept staring as I talked. After I finished with the lady, I went over to him and asked if he wanted to chat. He spoke sternly, asking what I was up to. I explained the 60-second challenge, and he got really serious. He warned me to stop or else he and his grown son would hurt me badly. He thought what I was doing looked shady and said I shouldn't be giving out chocolates in the park because it makes me seem like a predator. I agreed to stop for the day out of respect for him but said I'd be back because sharing the Gospel is important to me. He threatened me not to return or he and his friends would handle it in a very bad way.

During our tense talk, I kept calm and explained how I've tried different ways to share my faith with not much luck until I started with the chocolates, which has been really effective. I also said I had to keep coming back, even if it meant risking getting beaten up, because people need to hear about Jesus.
After about ten intense minutes, I suggested we shake hands to show no hard feelings, but he refused. He then continued to rant at me but, eventually, he started to understand where I was coming from, though he still thought chocolates in a park with kids could be misunderstood. As he softened, he even shook my hand and told me not to go home but to carry on.
I was pretty shaken myself, so I only stayed a bit longer until the man left, then I went home.

I get where he was coming from though—it could seem sketchy for a guy to be handing out chocolates in the park while talking about God. But this method has let me share my faith with hundreds of people who are really grateful. So, I can't stop now. Please pray things don't get worse for me as this was very tense.
I am just glad that the man came to understand that I was genuine and that I love God and the lost.

Pray also for the man that he comes to a place of understanding.
NOTE: This has been my most intense encounter and it has knocked me. But I will continue.

Psyco

Anglican
Jan 29, 2021
Javino
✟22,954.00
Country
Nigeria
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It takes a lot of courage to do what you are doing. People are easily scared these days you need to make it more clear that it's coming from a place of love and a true desire to share the gospel

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟750,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Over the past three days, I've been spending about an hour or two at the park sharing the Gospel with people. When I do this, I challenge people to see if they can name the Ten Commandments in 60 seconds to win some chocolate. It usually sparks a lot of conversations about faith which leads to the Gospel. I've been doing this regularly for a couple of years now.

Today started off okay. I talked to a bunch of adults and some kids, mostly between 10 and 13 years old. (Kids were in a group)
After about half an hour, while I was chatting with a lady and her kids, I noticed a big guy watching me from a few meters away. He kept staring as I talked. After I finished with the lady, I went over to him and asked if he wanted to chat. He spoke sternly, asking what I was up to. I explained the 60-second challenge, and he got really serious. He warned me to stop or else he and his grown son would hurt me badly. He thought what I was doing looked shady and said I shouldn't be giving out chocolates in the park because it makes me seem like a predator. I agreed to stop for the day out of respect for him but said I'd be back because sharing the Gospel is important to me. He threatened me not to return or he and his friends would handle it in a very bad way.

During our tense talk, I kept calm and explained how I've tried different ways to share my faith with not much luck until I started with the chocolates, which has been really effective. I also said I had to keep coming back, even if it meant risking getting beaten up, because people need to hear about Jesus.
After about ten intense minutes, I suggested we shake hands to show no hard feelings, but he refused. He then continued to rant at me but, eventually, he started to understand where I was coming from, though he still thought chocolates in a park with kids could be misunderstood. As he softened, he even shook my hand and told me not to go home but to carry on.
I was pretty shaken myself, so I only stayed a bit longer until the man left, then I went home.

I get where he was coming from though—it could seem sketchy for a guy to be handing out chocolates in the park while talking about God. But this method has let me share my faith with hundreds of people who are really grateful. So, I can't stop now. Please pray things don't get worse for me as this was very tense.
I am just glad that the man came to understand that I was genuine and that I love God and the lost.

NOTE: This has been my most intense encounter and it has knocked me. But I will continue.
Eh ... dust off your feet and journey on ... always going to run into opinionated "nay sayers". ;o). If chocolates are an effective aid and it helps then use them.

Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟34,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

It is good you are using your time to witness to persons.
You seem to be targeting young people, and it is good to reach the young, and help them appreciate the Bible.
Did any young ones get it, in sixty seconds? That's difficult, and they would have to really recite the commandments to know them by heart.

Some young people are very smart, and if they want free chocolate, they would go home, and put the commandments to memory, and return, just so they can get chocolate.
They would be doing exactly what these did.

The chief apostle, and evangelizer, used a method that countered this, since he loved people, and wanted to reach the heart.
I don't know how you feel about that, but it certainly had good results.
It found right hearts. Acts 13:48; Matthew 10:11-13

It also avoids giving the impression that persons are being coerced, or preyed upon, which is what that big guy probably thought.
Feed them. Trap them.
giphy.gif

While he made a visible, because he felt like Mr. BigBadJohn, there are many people who will not make it visible, because they don't feel capable of beating up anyone, so they will keep it quiet, and voice it to friends. However, they are thinking the same as the big guy.

You might not get a chance to explain yourself to these.
Of course, even innocent and harmless actions can be viewed by persons as "something fishy", or bad, so you would have to make your own decision on what you will do.
However, following Jesus example, and methods, will surely have his backing and support.

I'm glad you didn't get pounded though.

• Friendly
Reactions: Grip Docility
Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟34,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It takes a lot of courage to do what you are doing. People are easily scared these days you need to make it more clear that it's coming from a place of love and a true desire to share the gospel
I totally agree.

• Love
Upvote 0

1Tonne

Dec 2, 2021
Taranaki
✟90,356.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe it's pretty clear to the people that I am doing this in love. I am going out and warning people that they will have to face a Holy God one day and that I do not want them to perish. So, these people can see by my courage that I love them and that I truly do believe in what I am saying. It is hard to go out and share the Gospel, it is frightening. It would be unloving not to warn people. Sadly, many who believe do not love the lost enough to warn them.
I also wear a jersey that says, "needgod.com" and a Christian hat and so they normally know what I am going to talk about before I start.
Eh ... dust off your feet and journey on ... always going to run into opinionated "nay sayers". ;o). If chocolates are an effective aid and it helps then use them.
Thanks for that. That is encouraging.
It is good you are using your time to witness to persons.
You seem to be targeting young people, and it is good to reach the young, and help them appreciate the Bible.
Did any young ones get it, in sixty seconds? That's difficult, and they would have to really recite the commandments to know them by heart.
Thanks. Yes. In the last 3 days, I have had 3 people get all 10 commandments. I do help some though by giving them big clues. Such as, "If I were to shoot you with a gun it is called what?" And they answer "murder". (I try to make it fun for people)
Some young people are very smart, and if they want free chocolate, they would go home, and put the commandments to memory, and return, just so they can get chocolate.
I do have some young people go home and memorise the Ten Commandments. This encourages me because it gets them into the bible. They then often then ask me all manner of questions about the bible and many other people listen into the conversations. So, this not only gets them into studying God's word, but it also helps with conversation and also others hearing.

The chief apostle, and evangelizer, used a method that countered this, since he loved people, and wanted to reach the heart.
I don't know how you feel about that, but it certainly had good results.
It found right hearts. Acts 13:48; Matthew 10:11-13
Sorry. I don't understand what you are saying regarding these 2 paragraphs.
It also avoids giving the impression that persons are being coerced, or preyed upon, which is what that big guy probably thought.
Feed them. Trap them.
The majority of people that I speak to, I believe do not feel preyed upon. There will be a minority, but most people enjoy the conversation. At the end of the discussion, I ask them, when are they going to start to honour God. Most are unsure when they will. So, I then say that we do not know when we are going to die. There is an urgency to it, and if what I have said is true, then they have a decision to make. So, I leave it open to them. They are not forced. And as I said, many people are grateful that I have spoken to them even if they have not made a decision for Him.
Of course, even innocent and harmless actions can be viewed by persons as "something fishy", or bad, so you would have to make your own decision on what you will do.
However, following Jesus example, and methods, will surely have his backing and support.
I agree. I have been following Jesus' example. I use the 10 Commandments to bring the knowledge of sin. Just like Jesus did with the rich young ruler.
So, this is what I do: The Great Chocolate Evangelizing trick - This works.

Last edited:
  • Love
Upvote 0

1Tonne

Dec 2, 2021
Taranaki
✟90,356.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As its a park, have you thought about handing out marrow bones? I am sure you would get a good response. Woof!
That is not a bad idea, but they do not allow dogs in any of the parks where I am. Keep thinking like that as I am always open to ideas.
By all means, save the lost.

Upvote 0

1Tonne

Dec 2, 2021
Taranaki
✟90,356.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Before I went out and shared, I prayed for God to strengthen me and build me up again.
So, I went to the park and was able to freely say the Gospel with some people. They listened well and seemed to understand. It was encouraging.

But, something amazing happened on my way back. I gave a ride to a man who was walking along the road and took him to his house in the next town. I hoped to share the Gospel with him, and the opportunity arose quickly, naturally. By the end, he looked at me seriously and said, "What you have said has hit me deeply. We will all die someday. I need to get right with God." I could see he had truly taken the Gospel to heart. When I asked if he had a Bible, he said he didn't, so I gave him one I had bought second-hand but was in mint condition. (This was an amazing bible too with all sorts of good stuff in it)

I was thrilled because I could see how deeply the Gospel had impacted him. It had really sunk in. Please pray for this young man named William, that he honours God sincerely with his life.

So before I went out, I prayed that God would build me up again, and He did. I am still afraid, but I am also excited too. God is good.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟224,595.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Thanks. Yes. In the last 3 days, I have had 3 people get all 10 commandments. I do help some though by giving them big clues. Such as, "If I were to shoot you with a gun it is called what?" And they answer "murder". (I try to make it fun for people)
I commend you for what you do. If seen your posts some time before. Let me ask you keep saying you go to this park. Don't you end up seeing the same people all the time? Also tell us your overall results. How many do you know that got saved BUT also came into a discipleship program of some kind and got established?

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,535,744.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If I were a parent, and I found out a man at the park was trying to lure my daughter into conversation with chocolate, I'd be ringing the police. No hesitation. And I would expect the police to move that person on.

At the very least I would encourage you not to approach minors who are not accompanied by adults.

Upvote 0

1Tonne

Dec 2, 2021
Taranaki
✟90,356.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I commend you for what you do. If seen your posts some time before. Let me ask you keep saying you go to this park. Don't you end up seeing the same people all the time? Also tell us your overall results. How many do you know that got saved BUT also came into a discipleship program of some kind and got established?
Some of the people I meet there are regulars, but a large majority are new faces I've never seen before.

The outcomes vary and are hard to predict. Many of the people I talk to have never been to a church and don't really understand much about it. They've heard about Jesus dying on the cross but don't grasp why it matters. So, the people I'm engaging with are on the front lines of the battle, and I see myself as simply planting seeds.

There are a few who express a desire to start honouring God, and I pray with them and encourage them to come to church. Unfortunately, no one has taken that step to come to church yet. Despite this, I don't let it discourage me. I believe it's not up to me to convert people to Christianity; it's God's work. The Gospel itself is powerful and leads to salvation. My role is to share the Gospel, and God brings about the growth.
One thing I keep in the back of my mind is this.
I could preach to a thousand people and they could all reject the Gospel. But I am not to get downhearted. My mission is 100% successful. My mission is to say the Gospel and then it is God who creates the growth.

I do see significant changes in some people. Through our conversations, many gain new insights and understanding and some are amazed. However, even with this newfound understanding, people struggle because they are deeply attached to their sins and find it hard to leave them.
But if God starts a good work in someone, I trust He will complete it.

This is in the frontline of the trenches. And often in war, the trenches may not move for some time. But we must keep fighting.

Upvote 0

1Tonne

Dec 2, 2021
Taranaki
✟90,356.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If I were a parent, and I found out a man at the park was trying to lure my daughter into conversation with chocolate, I'd be ringing the police. No hesitation. And I would expect the police to move that person on.

At the very least I would encourage you not to approach minors who are not accompanied by adults.
I have had the police called on me. In the end, they told me that I could continue in what I was doing although they warned me that some people may not like it.
I am very careful how I approach kids. I make sure that it is in the open where there are many adults around and the kids have to be in a group.
But I cannot stop sharing the Gospel with kids because they are some of the people who listen most intently. By the age of 18, most people have made their mind up and it can be very hard for them to change. But the kids listen. How will they hear without a preacher?

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,535,744.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
But I cannot stop sharing the Gospel with kids because they are some of the people who listen most intently.
Then find a more appropriate way to do it, than grooming them with gifts of chocolate without their parents' consent.

Sure, it's harder work to do things properly. But what you are doing is unethical on so many levels.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

1Tonne

Dec 2, 2021
Taranaki
✟90,356.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Then find a more appropriate way to do it, than grooming them with gifts of chocolate without their parents' consent.
Sharing the Gospel is not grooming. Even with chocolates, it is not grooming.
Sure, it's harder work to do things properly. But what you are doing is unethical on so many levels.
You seem to be a very knowledgeable person on this topic. I think many of us could learn from you. Can you please tell us how often you share the Gospel with the lost outside of church and how you do it?

• Friendly
Reactions: CoreyD
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,535,744.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Sharing the Gospel is not grooming. Even with chocolates, it is not grooming.
Grooming: an act or instance of engaging in behaviors or practices intended to gradually condition or emotionally manipulate a person over time.

Yep; providing chocolate to minors you don't know, without their parents' consent, is a behaviour intended to condition and emotionally manipulate the child to engage with you in a way they otherwise would not. It absolutely is grooming.

Nobody ought to be engaging with children without their parents' consent.
You seem to be a very knowledgeable person on this topic. I think many of us could learn from you. Can you please tell us how often you share the Gospel with the lost outside of church and how you do it?
Whenever I have the opportunity. The main way that I do it is to get involved in the life of my local community and build real relationships with people, in which questions of faith can be discussed. Choose your preferred activity; book groups and community choirs are some that work well for me, you might find something more in line with your interests to be a better choice.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,535,744.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You never answered the question. So, how often have you said the Gospel to people who are lost?
I don't keep a tally, nor do I have a clear way of knowing who is lost and who is not in a lot of circumstances.

But that's really irrelevant to the point. There are appropriate and ethical ways of doing this, and inappropriate and unethical ways; and luring minors you don't know with chocolate is way, way over into the second category.

Reactions: joymercy
Upvote 0

1Tonne

Dec 2, 2021
Taranaki
✟90,356.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
luring minors you don't know with chocolate is way, way over into the second category
Can you show me where I said that I lure minors? I never said that. You are making stuff up in your head.
I don't keep a tally, nor do I have a clear way of knowing who is lost and who is not in a lot of circumstances.
Now back to the question.
I feel like you are trying to avoid the question. It is a pretty easy question to answer. How often do you tell the Gospel to people outside the church? Or are you simply a person who criticizes those who share the Gospel when you do not even do it?
You seem like someone who does no fitness at all and sits down in his armchair and watches a sport on TV that has the best athletes in it and then he says, "I can do better than them. They should listen to me". These types of people have hollow words.

Upvote 0