England
✟71,876.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I recently saw a David Platt video where he was talking about NDE's like visitations to heaven/hell etc and I'm sure he said there was no scriptural basis for them.
He felt that these were either hallucinations or demonically inspired.
I am sure he even referred to the Heaven Is Real story. Todd Burpo, a pastor, his son had a NDE for those that are unfamiliar with the story.
I wish I could find the link David Platt's video here but I wondered what others thoughts on this were.
What he said makes some sense. Once we die we are gone from this world with no way back. The veil is too thick so to speak.

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
The NDE seems to be a natural phenomenon caused by the brain's reaction to oxygen starvation. The experience seems to be culturally/religiously biased. Where a Christian might meet Jesus, a Hindu might encounter Krishna.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I recently saw a David Platt video where he was talking about NDE's like visitations to heaven/hell etc and I'm sure he said there was no scriptural basis for them.
I am sure he even referred to the Heaven Is Real story. Todd Burpo, a pastor, his son had a NDE for those that are unfamiliar with the story.
I wish I could find the link David Platt's video here but I wondered what others thoughts on this were.
What he said makes some sense. Once we die we are gone from this world with no way back. The veil is too thick so to speak.

"Demonically inspired"? No. That's like saying sleep paralysis or seizures are caused by demons.

Brain thing? Possibly. After all, some Hindus who have NDEs see Hindu gods, and if NDEs were legitimate religious experiences it would imply that the Hindu gods are just as real as Jesus. Though for the record, the Israelites were originally henotheistic meaning they thought many gods existed but worshipped only one.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

That is not entirely true, NDE could be taken in like form as John's vision in Revelation 1 where he fell down "as dead".

Death is not the end of life, Jesus raised people to life, Peter did and Paul did too. There is even testimonies that Smith Wigglesworth did and he lived within the last 100 years. So people can come back from death, but truth be told, I don't necessarily put a lot of credence in NDE. My faith rests in God and that is good enough for me. I don't need a NDE to tell me heaven is real.

God bless!

Upvote 0

David_AB

Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2015
England
✟71,876.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is not entirely true, NDE could be taken in like form as John's vision in Revelation 1 where he fell down "as dead".

Death is not the end of life, Jesus raised people to life, Peter did and Paul did too. There is even testimonies that Smith Wigglesworth did and he lived within the last 100 years. So people can come back from death, but truth be told, I don't necessarily put a lot of credence in NDE. My faith rests in God and that is good enough for me. I don't need a NDE to tell me heaven is real.

God bless!

That raises an interesting point. Lazarus was dead for some time. I wonder what he would recall, if anything, during the time he was dead. Maybe nothing, until judgement day.

Upvote 0

David_AB

Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2015
England
✟71,876.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Demonically inspired"? No. That's like saying sleep paralysis or seizures are caused by demons.
Yeah, I didn't get that bit. Why would demons give people visions of heaven or hell.
The last thing they want is people believing there's a hell.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That raises an interesting point. Lazarus was dead for some time. I wonder what he would recall, if anything, during the time he was dead. Maybe nothing, until judgement day.

This is true, and scriptures do state Lazarus had quite the gathering once he was raised. I am almost positive that question was asked. Although his answers would have been more like what we find in Luke 16:19-31 where he was in Abraham's bosom than Heaven per se. Jesus hadn't been glorified yet so he couldn't have seen heaven as we think of it.

Reactions: David_AB
Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, I didn't get that bit. Why would demons give people visions of heaven or hell.
The last thing they want is people believing there's a hell.

If it propagates the first lie that man doesn't really die but is essentially an immortal soul then it would serve his purpose.

It would also serve his purpose in depicting God as a sadistic fiend who wants anyone who opposes him roasted alive forever. Which means that being criminally insane God isn't qualified to rule the universe.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If it propagates the first lie that man doesn't really die but is essentially an immortal soul then it would serve his purpose.

It would also serve his purpose in depicting God as a sadistic fiend who wants anyone who opposes him roasted alive forever. Which means that being criminally insane God isn't qualified to rule the universe.

Criminally insane as defined by a morally bankrupt human race... makes perfect sense.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Criminally insane as defined by a morally bankrupt human race... makes perfect sense.

Reading these posts honestly has me think of this song:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
So if a person roasts someone alive and we consider that person criminally insane we are morally bankrupt? Excuse me but I find that conclusion rather morally bizarre.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian

Isn't it odd that no record exists that he told anybody anything about what it was like to be dead?

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So if a person roasts someone alive and we consider that person criminally insane we are morally bankrupt? Excuse me but I find that conclusion rather morally bizarre.

It is just humorous that man now decides what is and isn't morally acceptable for God. Or what a perfect and holy God should and shouldn't do in judgement. This is what we call creating a god in our image.

Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Isn't it odd that no record exists that he told anybody anything about what it was like to be dead?

Well considering he lived 2,000 years ago if he had left a record of it chances are highly likely it would be gone by now. Anyways it still would not mean much to us today because his experience would have been vastly different since his death occurred under Mosaic Law.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
It is just humorous that man now decides what is and isn't morally acceptable for God. Or what a perfect and holy God should and shouldn't do in judgement. This is what we call creating a god in our image.

What does the Bible actually say about near death experiences then?

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well considering he lived 2,000 years ago if he had left a record of it chances are highly likely it would be gone by now. Anyways it still would not mean much to us today because his experience would have been vastly different since his death occurred under Mosaic Law.

Why wouldn't his story of life after death have been put into the New Testament?

Another case of missing evidence as so often happens with Bible 'proofs.'

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

The only deity being created here is the one you describe who roasts humans alive forever and makes sure that they are alive so he can slowly roast them as they scream. Also, your concept of perfection and holiness is warped.

BTW

Describing yourself as more decently humane than God by claiming to be incapable of imitating him by using torture on humans or animals as punishment isn't exactly worshipping God or being respectful. It constitutes a defamation of his personality in imitation of Satan. Also your refusal to use torture on others yourself speaks volumes.

Upvote 0