Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I would like some Christians to chime in here (although of course, anyone is free to participate). I'm sure you've all heard of NDE's (Near Death Experiences). Many people claim that, when they are on the brink of death - such as from a heart attack, brain trauma, lack of oxygen, etc - that they experience a white light, a tunnel, or god, or heaven, and some even claim to experience hell. Many Christians I've heard talk about this phenomenon seem to believe this is supporting evidence of an afterlife. One of the problems I see with this, however, is that non-Christians have NDE's that mimic their versions of god, heaven, or afterlife. How do you explain this, if NDE's truly are a glimpse into what lies beyond death?

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
I would like some Christians to chime in here (although of course, anyone is free to participate). I'm sure you've all heard of NDE's (Near Death Experiences). Many people claim that, when they are on the brink of death - such as from a heart attack, brain trauma, lack of oxygen, etc - that they experience a white light, a tunnel, or god, or heaven, and some even claim to experience hell. Many Christians I've heard talk about this phenomenon seem to believe this is supporting evidence of an afterlife. One of the problems I see with this, however, is that non-Christians have NDE's that mimic their versions of god, heaven, or afterlife. How do you explain this, if NDE's truly are a glimpse into what lies beyond death?

Why would you expect all human NDE's to be exactly the same in the first place? How do you explain even self professed "atheists" having the same kind of experiences on a statistically equal percentage with theists?

http://www.near-death.com/experiences/atheists01.html

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Why would you expect all human NDE's to be exactly the same in the first place? How do you explain even self professed "atheists" having the same kind of experiences on a statistically equal percentage with theists?

An Analysis of the Near-Death Experiences of Atheists

I have an idea, but I would expect them all to be the same if they are an indicator of an afterlife, which according to Christians, there are only two choices.

Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
I have an idea, but I would expect them all to be the same if they are an indicator of an afterlife, which according to Christians, there are only two choices.

Humans are quite individualistic in their beliefs, even Christians. For instance, I love and honor Christ, but I personally "lack belief" in the concept of eternal torment for finite sin. In fact that whole concept doesn't even exist in Judaism, nor in the version of "Christianity' that Origen taught early Christians. It's actually a pagan concept that comes straight from the Greek concept of pagan 'hades' that was kludged into the Christian religion by Augustine, several centuries later.

Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
I'll have to watch the vid later, youtube is blocked.

Do you agree then, that NDE's are not indicative of any afterlife?

It's hard to say IMO, particularly since I've never had one. :)

Carl Jung had such an experience, and he seemed to believe it was 'real'.

Carl Jung's Near-Death Experience

I gather it wasn't a particularly "Christian" experience, but I would assume that the experience (if it is real) is meant to calm the individual, not freak them out. I assume it would include a cultural and religious element that is tailored to the individual.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
How do you explain even self professed "atheists" having the same kind of experiences on a statistically equal percentage with theists?

Because NDE's are the result of a physical process within the brain, not a divine process.

Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
Because NDE's are the result of a physical process within the brain, not a divine process.

That doesn't really explain why the events seem to have such a profound impact on the individual, even long after the event. It also fails to explain any of the more unusual aspects of the events, like the out of body experiences described by Jung, or the guy that knew how to find his false teeth in the crash cart from the Lancet Study.

The Lancet: Near-death experience in survivors of cardiac arrest

If it's just a random firing of neurons, why do they always follow the same themes (tunnels, out of body experiences, meeting God, etc)? Why not replay memories of the last great sex they had or something more random?

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
That doesn't really explain why the events seem to have such a profound impact on the individual, even long after the event.

Insults and injuries to the brain often have profound life-altering effects.

If it's just a random firing of neurons

It is not a random firing of neurons. Several aspects appear to be related to starving particular areas of the brain of oxygen.

Visual center (see Blackmore)

out of body experiences

"Several kinds of research have converged to show that the OBE is caused by a breakdown of this normal process" (also Blackmore)

meeting God

"the sense of presence ... induced using transcranial magnetic stimulation" (same link - or check out the God Helmet)

As another analogy, I would also point out the feeling of euphoria that often accompanies pilots when they have emerged from a blackout (again, oxygen depletion in the brain). Note that tunnel vision also accompanies this - "During early stages of retinal depletion, the peripheral vision is lost and there may be an overall dimming of the visual image."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Aren't there cases of OOB experiences where people see details they couldn't possibly have known, like the presence of a certain person in another room out of their line of sight?

AFAIK, there are some anecdotal reports of people seeing shoes on ledges and things like that, but they are not very convincing IMHO.

Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
Insults and injuries to the brain often have profound life-altering effects.

I'm talking about the effects described in the Lancet article that related more to 'value system changes' that were directly related to what they *learned* in the experience.

It is not a random firing of neurons. Several aspects appear to be related to starving particular areas of the brain of oxygen.
That Lancet study actually ruled out oxygen deprivation as a possible cause by the way. Are there newer studies you're referring to?

Visual center (see Blackmore)
That's not exactly "peer reviewed' or published material, and frankly she's never impressed me much. Jung on the other hand impressed me. ;)

"Several kinds of research have converged to show that the OBE is caused by a breakdown of this normal process" (also Blackmore)
Is her work on that topic published, or is that just her personal opinion?

"the sense of presence ... induced using transcranial magnetic stimulation" (same link - or check out the God Helmet)
IMO that "God helmet" experiment demonstrates a perfectly good working *physical method* whereby an electromagnetic universe might directly interact with humans. I fail to see how that particular work actually helps your case frankly.

As another analogy, I would also point out the feeling of euphoria that often accompanies pilots when they have emerged from a blackout (again, oxygen depletion in the brain). Note that tunnel vision also accompanies this - "During early stages of retinal depletion, the peripheral vision is lost and there may be an overall dimming of the visual image."
Blackouts don't seem to lead to life altering changes in personality however, whereas NDE's often do.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
We are all going to stand before God for our judgement. Imo, that would suggest that our experiences would all be somewhat similar (but I also say that in the context of our lives because perhaps our lives will impact what that journey to the throne will be like). Maybe for that reason, there will be some variance. I don't know. Just a thought.

Upvote 0