Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think the title of the experience is a fair one. The "near" part can be taken away, for example. I've listened to numerous books on the subject and these people actually die. Their heart stops, they quit breathing and they are pronounced dead, sometimes for many minutes to nearly an hour or more. That's not "nearly" dying, it is dying.

Anyway, the point of this post is to discuss with others the experiences these people have. Not everyone believes in these experiences as true outer-body episodes where the soul leaves the human body and enters into another spiritual dimension. Some claim they are just dreams, or the mind having some type of involuntary signal where the brain stays active a little longer. I've heard many stories now on the subject and I'm a true believer that these people have experienced a temporary spiritual realm that we have a hard time acknowledging.

Many of these cases have been proven accurate. For example, one person saw a shoe on the ledge of a building window and described it in detail as their soul hovered around. Once the shoe was discovered it matched the description with 100% accuracy. That's just one example of thousands.

I'm not here to debate with those who don't believe in any of this, I'm starting this topic so others who do believe, or even have had an experience can discuss with others.

Has anyone read or listened to any books on the subject recently? One popular book is "90 Minutes in Heaven" but there are many more.

Last edited:

Papias

Listening to TW4
Dec 22, 2005
✟57,276.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We really can't know if *any* near death experiences are "real". Obviously, some have to be hallucinations, and all of them could easily be hallucinations and there would be no way to know otherwise.

Plus we know that many of them are out and out lies made up to make money or just get attention. Again, since we can't actually test any of them, there is no way to know if someone is purposefully making it up - or honestly reporting a hallucination.

Generally, the more closely the story fits the target audience religion, the more likely it's just made up for attention/profit. We saw this with the "Boy who went to heaven" story. Commentators noted how closely it confirmed Christian beliefs, and thus suspected it was made up (not an honest report of a hallucination), and sure enough, it soon was exposed as a hoax (though not until after the publisher kept the hoax under wraps long enough to wring more money out of the duped Christians who kept buying the books). "The Boy Who Came Back From Heaven" Recants Story, Rebukes Christian Retailers

NDE books are well known to reliably make money if they confirm the beliefs of the region they are being sold in - hundreds of people are getting rich off them, all the time.

The upshot of all that is that it's actually a good thing for us as Christians that all of these "NDE" are consistent with either intentional hoaxes or misunderstood normal hallucinations. It's a good thing because if we had accepted any of these as real evidence, we'd have to accept the same evidence from people in other areas of the world, who also report NDEs, and who's NDE's confirm the "reality" of other religions, disproving Christianity.

For instance, there are lots of NDEs that confirm Islam, Hinduism, Pagan religions, and so on. It's obvious that it's only by being a blatant hypocrite that someone could say "I'll accept those NDE's that confirm my own beliefs and reject the ones I personally don't like."

Here are some other ones:
Dr. Rajiv Parti – His life review revealed his past lives. | Believe it or not
Fahad bin Waleed – was able to perform Hajj in the spirit | Believe it or not
etc. There are hundreds of them from all faiths easy to find by googling.

In Christ-

Papias

Upvote 0

Lucian Hodoboc

I've already read the Bible
Jul 8, 2017
-
Visit site
✟89,082.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In Christ-

Papias
Thanks for signing your name at the end of your post. Otherwise I would have never known who made the post... despite the fact that your username, your profile photo and details about your account are literally on the left side of your post. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: Goatee
Upvote 0

Apex

Radical Centrist & Ethicist
Jan 1, 2017
the South
✟40,394.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was able to recreate multiple OBEs through lucid dreaming techniques. It took me two months of actively doing reality checks and keeping a dream journal. The method that worked for me was the "Wake Back to Bed" method.

Of course, I wasn't actually out of my body. I was lucid dreaming.

The first time I passed the "vibration/train wall", I simply tried to get out of bed. I remember turning around and looking at my body/self sleeping. It felt incredibly real. I walked around the bed and stared at my wife before blasting through the roof and started flying around my neighborhood. However, I got too excited shortly after and woke up.

I did all this as an experiment to see if I could recreate these OBEs through dreaming.

Upvote 0

CoolDude68

Supporter
May 29, 2013
Budapest
✟105,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Lucid dreaming is different than people dying and their souls leaving their physical bodies. I've had a few lucid dreams before and they are really cool and kinda freak you out sometimes when you're aware you're actually dreaming. It's hard not to get excited and that's when you wake up. At least for me it was. But, I don't believe they are remotely the same thing.

• Agree
Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,423.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't see the seemingly different accounts as inherently problematic, not unless you have a very limited understanding of Christianity/God. Perhaps God relates to different people in ways they can understand.

Upvote 0

Apex

Radical Centrist & Ethicist
Jan 1, 2017
the South
✟40,394.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm sure there are stories that turn out to be a hoax, but that's what happens in this world sometimes. But I don't discount any of the genuine experiences some folks have.

I don't doubt people genuinely believe they had an OBE, but I do doubt it genuinely happening.

Have you ever taken psychedelics?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Papias

Listening to TW4
Dec 22, 2005
✟57,276.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
To: Lucian

Thanks for signing your name at the end of your post. Otherwise I would have never known who made the post... despite the fact that your username, your profile photo and details about your account are literally on the left side of your post. :rolleyes:

You, Lucian, are welcome. I, Papias, am always happy to help.

Signed - Papias

^_^:wave:

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's a good thing because if we had accepted any of these as real evidence, we'd have to accept the same evidence from people in other areas of the world, who also report NDEs, and who's NDE's confirm the "reality" of other religions, disproving Christianity.

For instance, there are lots of NDEs that confirm Islam, Hinduism, Pagan religions, and so on. It's obvious that it's only by being a blatant hypocrite that someone could say "I'll accept those NDE's that confirm my own beliefs and reject the ones I personally don't like."

I've never heard of one that suggested any religion. So very few include Jesus.

Upvote 0

CoolDude68

Supporter
May 29, 2013
Budapest
✟105,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A good book is titled Imagine Heaven by John Burke if anyone is interested. The people who came forward to tell their stories were not doing it to get compensated from a book sale, but to share their experience with someone who would listen and not criticize. The similarities of their stories are proof enough to me that our souls can leave our bodies and temporarily enter into a spiritual world. If you don't believe in any of this that's fine. Again, not here to argue. If anyone wants to private message me I'd like to hear your story, or someone you may know who experienced this. I understand that most people never share their experience because people would think they are crazy.

Reactions: Leroy Kattein
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟789,100.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for telling us about your experience Vinsight4u. Some accounts state that it usually takes time to realize what it happening. If you don't mind me asking, were you a believer at the time?

"We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord." (II Cor 5:8). But we've no idea when this "...absent from the body..." actually occurs because death is when both the spirit and soul leaves the body permanently - "For as the body without the spirit is dead,..." (James 2:26).

These Biblical accounts show that it's not always permanent:
Elijah - "And he stretched himself upon the child three times, and cried unto the Lord, and said, O Lord my God, I pray thee, let this child's soul come into him again."22 And the Lord heard the voice of Elijah; and the soul of the child came into him again, and he revived." (I Kings 17:21-22)

Also, "And when Elisha was come into the house, behold, the child was dead, and laid upon his bed. 33 He went in therefore, and shut the door upon them twain, and prayed unto the Lord. 34 And he went up, and lay upon the child, and put his mouth upon his mouth, and his eyes upon his eyes, and his hands upon his hands: and stretched himself upon the child; and the flesh of the child waxed warm. 35 Then he returned, and walked in the house to and fro; and went up, and stretched himself upon him: and the child sneezed seven times, and the child opened his eyes. (II Kings 4:32-35).

Yeshua "And he cometh to the house of the ruler of the synagogue, and seeth the tumult, and them that wept and wailed greatly. 39 And when he was come in, he saith unto them, Why make ye this ado, and weep? the damsel is not dead, but sleepeth. 40 And they laughed him to scorn. But when he had put them all out, he taketh the father and the mother of the damsel, and them that were with him, and entereth in where the damsel was lying. 41 And he took the damsel by the hand, and said unto her, Talitha cumi; which is, being interpreted, Damsel, I say unto thee, arise. 42 And straightway the damsel arose, and walked; for she was of the age of twelve years. And they were astonished with a great astonishment. 43 And he charged them straitly that no man should know it; and commanded that something should be given her to eat." (Mark 5). Yeshua said she wasn't dead because He knew it wasn't permanent imo. I've wondered if the episode was caused from her not eating since Yeshua told them to give her something to eat.

Have you read about Howard Storm's NDE? I heard his testimony 20 years after his NDE and he was still shaken. After his experience, he was a pastor for several years.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: CoolDude68
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tansy

Jan 12, 2008
✟35,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I suppose these things must be hard to prove...though for the people experiencing them, they must certainly be real, whatever is actually happening. I'd heard or read a couple of accounts like someone above mentioned, of people describing things in detail that they couldn't possibly have known about (like an item on the roof etc.) So, assuming those accounts are genuine, and whoever has made them known, is not making it up, then surely that would point to 'out of body' experience and/or NDEs really occurring

Upvote 0