Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Absract art and mollusc shells found in cave under the rock of Gibraltar seem to indicate complex behaviours among Neanderthals:

40,000-year-old sealed cavern gives new insight into Neanderthal life

Early art seems to have links to brain structures and ritual practices to do with hunting and interactions with the 'spirit world'. What does anyone think drove the very first attempts at representing things, impressions, feelings or whatever in art? I suppose we take that impulse for granted now, but how/why did it first appear?

Last edited:
Reactions: Astrophile

Job 33:6

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟296,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Absract art and mollusc shells found in cave under the rock of Gibraltar seem to indicate complex behaviours among Neanderthals:

Early art seems to have links to brain structures and ritual practices to do with hunting and interactions with the 'spirit world'. What does anyone think drove the very first attempts at representing things, impressions, feelings or whatever in art? I suppose we take that impulse for granted now, but how/why did it first appear?

There was probably a need or demand for it. I think of the few times I've traveled internationally and I've wanted to express an idea to someone who didn't speak my language. One thing I was able to do is I could draw a picture or point at an object to express my thoughts. Then once people collectively understand images, then they could begin to artistically draw them to tell stories or to share ideas about rituals etc.

Also, chimps have been known to teach eachother sign language out of necessity of communication within their "tribes". Orangutans speak with use of imagery as well (human originally taught of course). So combine the two and you have a demand to teach one another information with use of imagery out of necessity for order, peace, survival and ease of communication.

And so once mankind has the tools to conduct these acts, and the brain/mind to understand them, it naturally follows.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Tom 1
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There was probably a need or demand for it. I think of the few times I've traveled internationally and I've wanted to express an idea to someone who didn't speak my language. One thing I was able to do is I could draw a picture or point at an object to express my thoughts. Then once people collectively understand images, then they could begin to artistically draw them to tell stories or to share ideas about rituals etc.

Also, chimps have been known to teach eachother sign language out of necessity of communication within their "tribes". Orangutans speak with use of imagery as well (human originally taught of course). So combine the two and you have a demand to teach one another information with use of imagery out of necessity for order, peace, survival and ease of communication.

And so once mankind has the tools to conduct these acts, and the brain/mind to understand them, it naturally follows.

Interesting.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟150,959.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship

Various animals do a wide variety of visual or
auditory signals, abstract representation of
information, if you like.

It does not seem like a huge leap for someone to
make marks to represent something.

Maybe charcoal marks on a case wall to
indicate " I was here while you were out`.

• Prayers
Reactions: Tom 1
Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,642.00
Faith
Atheist
Representations can have symbolic power as abstractions of what is represented, and they can also have narrative power. So, a representation of a prey animal can be a focus of spiritual appeals for those animals to be plentiful or a focus of apology for killing them, and a hunting scene can be a narrative of great deeds, either past or to come.

But the article doesn't describe representations, only 'abstract rock engravings', which could be anything.

Upvote 0