• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Nazi Flag-Bearing Protesters at Holocaust Remembrance in Arkansas

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by essentialsaltes, May 12, 2019.

1. essentialsaltes

essentialsaltes Stranger in a Strange Land

+7,471
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    This year's march was supposed to be like all the others; attendees would march down Main Street, listen to speeches and offer prayers to commemorate and remember the 6 million Jews murdered by the Nazis during World War II.

Except white supremacists showed up holding Nazi flags, marching down an otherwise deserted sidewalk and signs that read, "The Holocaust didn't happen but it should have,"

That may not be the best way to make your case that it didn't happen -- indicating your support for mass murder.

Beryl Wolfson, 96, a Jewish WWII veteran, was first to speak. He saw the horrors of the Holocaust directly as he helped liberate the Nazi concentration camp at Dachau in Germany.

As he spoke on Sunday, protesters holding flags emblazoned with the same Nazi swastika as the banners he had helped tear down decades earlier tried to interrupt his speech with shouts and megaphones.

Support the troops!

• Informative Informative x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Shiloh Raven

Shiloh Raven Don't let the Muggles get you down.

+10,221
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Green
    Has Trump called out this shameful display of racism against Jews yet? Wait... I think I already know the answer. Never mind. I guess he must think there are some "very fine people" on both sides.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. PeachyKeane

PeachyKeane Newbie

+3,390
    Presbyterian
    Married
    They seem like very fine people.

4. Kaon

Kaon Well-Known Member

+1,207
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Celibate
    Where is everyone?

5. PeachyKeane

PeachyKeane Newbie

+3,390
    Presbyterian
    Married
    Choosing sides at the Holocaust Memorial no doubt.

6. JackRT

JackRT Flat earther waking up ... Supporter

+11,307
    Canada
    Freethinker
    Married
    Before Trump's presidential campaign such right wing demonstrations were very much rarer. His very presence on the political scene seems to have enabled the haters.

7. Kaon

Kaon Well-Known Member

+1,207
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Celibate
    Aww... I wanted to hear an argument in defense of this. But, I suppose silence is enough.

8. essentialsaltes

+7,471
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    [​IMG]

9. Ana the Ist

Ana the Ist Aggressively serene!

+4,938
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    In defense of what exactly?

10. Ironhold

Ironhold Member

+1,090
    Mormon
    Single
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  11. Nithavela

Nithavela lologist

+9,538
    Germany
    Other Religion
    Single
    Meanwhile in real world their open display of hate only emboldens others and draws more followers towards hate.

12. PeachyKeane

PeachyKeane Newbie

+3,390
    Presbyterian
    Married
    I'd be curious as to why they deny the holocaust if not on moral grounds...

13. grasping the after wind

grasping the after wind That's grasping after the wind

+2,880
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    Or, more likely, makes people see how insanely idiotic their ideas are. In the world I live in, which is the real world, open displays of hate do not attract they repel. In order to attract followers one must disguise one's hate as moral outrage.

14. dgiharris

dgiharris Newbie

+5,068
    Baptist
    It seems that it is human nature to use "any" means necessary to oppose the arguments of people that have opinions different than yours.

You see it all the time, take an issue any issue, Side A will pretend Side B's arguments are completely and totally without merit. They will take a tone and argumentative position that implies you must be insane and morally bereft to oppose their argument...

An extension of that is to not only be opposed to the argument, but the people making the argument in general.

One of the interesting things about racist behavior is the ability to discount evidence that is right before your eyes. Evidence that you deem 100% acceptable in other circumstances suddenly becomes "not enough" or "not viable" when that same evidence supports the other side's argument. Take video evidence... When video evidence supports the other side's argument the best way to discount what you see is to use what you "don't" see as evidence, you will often hear people say, "Well, you don't know what happened before the video therefore I will not give this evidence any merit..."

That is such an interesting argument. You will discount what you see clear as day for what you don't see and you will give what you don't see and can't possibly know more merit than what you do see and do know... All for the sake of discounting an argument you don't like...

IN the case of those that deny the Holocaust, they do so because they want to remove the moral legitimacy behind Jews and how Jews were treated historically.

15. essentialsaltes

+7,471
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    Not quite. "She estimates about 50 people attended her event [the Holocaust Remembrance] along with roughly 10 to 15 protesters [the wannabe Nazis] -- many of whom wore face coverings, according to video from the event."

16. PeachyKeane

PeachyKeane Newbie

+3,390
    Presbyterian
    Married
    Those are all good points.

17. Nithavela

Nithavela lologist

+9,538
    Germany
    Other Religion
    Single
    I'd be happy to agree, but sadly after the last few years I have come to the conclusion that hate attracts hate.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  18. Ironhold

Ironhold Member

+1,090
    Mormon
    Single
    My experiences have been that the over-reaction to alleged hate tends to have so much in the way of collateral damage that it drives people *to* the more extreme positions.

This tends to happen in one of two ways.

#1. Researchers have established time & time again that when a label is consistently applied to someone over a long enough period of time, there's a good chance that the someone will, consciously or unconsciously, alter their behavior and mindset to fit that label. If the label is a negative one, the thought process ends up being "They've already branded me, so why not?". Thus, if you have a person who isn't an -ist, but they're constantly labeled as if they are, they have nothing to lose by openly embracing that identity and becoming what they were slandered as for so long.

#2. Tit - for - tat is a thing, too. Whenever people see something that they regard as evil, shocking, or oppressive, they tend to want to push back. This is why, for example, when Antifa started putting out "Good night alt right" material encouraging violence against their political opponents we very quickly saw "Hospital bills for Antifa shills" material crop up in response, a way of saying that people were gearing up for a fight in response.

It's all human psychology, something that far too many people don't seem to understand.

19. Kaon

Kaon Well-Known Member

+1,207
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Celibate
    By design. Psychology on humans can have intergenerational effects. Romanticism of human growth and potential is an exploitation of the psyche, and is the reason people are confused and emotional - surprised - when atrocities happen.

Humans have too much faith in humans, and other humans heavily exploit it. History shows this.

The hate is attractive in the States because the States never address their history destruction on hyphenated Americans, natives and (descendants of) slaves they use to fast track the nation, and keep in New Slavery. This way, when someone brings up the atrocities, it breeds hate and resentment - especially with the progeny of the masters of hate - and nothing is accomplished. Those aforementioned hated groups, thusly, look like they are whining and attempting to take over "their majority." This is just so painfully hackneyed I don't understand how in the age of college education for the serf people don't realize we are repeating history that is very recent.

Logic will handicap everyone who extols it in the coming days.

20. Shiloh Raven

Shiloh Raven Don't let the Muggles get you down.

+10,221
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Green
    Do you mean inciting violence like "Knock the crap out of them!" or suggesting that the "Second Amendment" people could act against Hillary Clinton if she got elected or even boasting something like: "I could stand in the middle of Fifth Ave. and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose any voters"?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List