Columbus
✟15,298.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I had a question about the Nazarene church as I have a friend who attends there and I'm just not clear on the beliefs.

So, I am Southern Baptist and believe salvation is by God's grace alone, and that good works will follow. Meaning a true Christian will turn from their sins and do good works because it is what pleases God. Salvation is not ever lost because true Christians will not forsake God. So works do not keep or earn salvation.

My friend who is Nazarene, said that salvation is conditional on keeping up good works and that basically his good works are keeping his salvation. How can salvation be offered by grace but kept by human actions? I believe sin should be eliminated from Christian's lives, but we are saved by grace through faith, not works.
I'm just trying to understand the theology.

Reactions: St_Worm2

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,923,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Along with what Anna just asked, I was also wondering what the Nazarene church teaches about regaining one's salvation once it's lost? I have family members who are Nazarene and they believe that they can and do lose their salvation when they sin, but that they can get it back again if they repent and ask God to forgive them. Is that true?

Thanks for your help :)

Yours and His,
David

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I had a question about the Nazarene church as I have a friend who attends there and I'm just not clear on the beliefs.

So, I am Southern Baptist and believe salvation is by God's grace alone, and that good works will follow. Meaning a true Christian will turn from their sins and do good works because it is what pleases God. Salvation is not ever lost because true Christians will not forsake God. So works do not keep or earn salvation.

My friend who is Nazarene, said that salvation is conditional on keeping up good works and that basically his good works are keeping his salvation. How can salvation be offered by grace but kept by human actions? I believe sin should be eliminated from Christian's lives, but we are saved by grace through faith, not works.
I'm just trying to understand the theology.
That is the difference between Baptist theology (once saved always saved) and Arminian theology (possible to lose salvation) Nazarene and other Methodist-offshoot groups including Holiness and old line Pentecostal churches hold to a Wesleyan form of Arminianism.

It is a common error of Calvinists (Baptists are at least one point Calvinists) about Arminianists that we do not believe we are saved by grace; but we do. And that it is God's grace that keeps us saved.

I would submit, however, that your friend does not understand it that well either; OR that his teaching has been corrupted from the actual doctrine of salvation. It is not "good works" that keep us saved; rather it is where our heart is at. We have the opportunity to walk away if we so choose.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
but that they can get it back again if they repent and ask God to forgive them. Is that true?
Yes. I believe Romans 11 teaches that quite well.

17 But if some of the branches were broken off, and you, being a wild olive, were grafted in among them and became partaker with them of the rich root of the olive tree, 18 do not be arrogant toward the branches; but if you are arrogant, remember that it is not you who supports the root, but the root supports you. 19 You will say then, “Branches were broken off so that I might be grafted in.” 20 Quite right, they were broken off for their unbelief, but you stand by your faith. Do not be conceited, but fear; 21 for if God did not spare the natural branches, He will not spare you, either. 22 Behold then the kindness and severity of God; to those who fell, severity, but to you, God’s kindness, if you continue in His kindness; otherwise you also will be cut off. 23 And they also, if they do not continue in their unbelief, will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again. 24 For if you were cut off from what is by nature a wild olive tree, and were grafted contrary to nature into a cultivated olive tree, how much more will these who are the natural branches be grafted into their own olive tree?​

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

Maid Marie

Zechariah 4:6
Nov 30, 2008
Pennsylvania
✟19,068.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Private
From what I understand, some Baptists and/or Calvinists view salvation as God signing a contract so to speak with us. If we do our part [repent], God will do his part [save us and never kick us out of the family]. God wouldn't break a contract so no one will lose his salvation.

Meanwhile, those in the Arminian/Wesleyan fold, view salvation as relational. We repent of sin so that we can be in a loving relationship with God. Relationships are not like contracts. As long as our heart remains open to God [and closed to sin, and closed to making sinful choices], then our relationship can continue. But sometimes, we Christians will let sin take root which prevents the relationship from flourishing to the point that it stagnates or even dies. Ex. if we nurse anger in our hearts instead of forgiveness, our relationship with Christ suffers and certainly cannot be what He wants it to be.

I hope this helps... it is 3 am... Theology at 3 am is always kind of interesting... :)

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From what I understand, some Baptists and/or Calvinists view salvation as God signing a contract so to speak with us. If we do our part [repent], God will do his part [save us and never kick us out of the family]. God wouldn't break a contract so no one will lose his salvation.
That may be the Baptist view (of the non-calvinist Baptists) but it is NOT the Calvinist view. That is that God signed the names of all who would be saved before creation. (predestination) And that we are incapable of choosing one way or the other. Even if we could choose, we do not have the strength to be obedient. (total depravity) So if we are in the elect, we are incapable of rejecting the gospel; and if we are NOT in the elect, there is nothing we can do to avoid destruction.

Reactions: Maid Marie
Upvote 0