• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Naw-Ruz will be observed on Thursday March 21st

Discussion in 'Christianity and World Religion' started by Arthra, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Arthra

Arthra Baha'i

+502
    Other Religion
    Married
    The Baha'i New Year .. Naw-Ruz.. will be observed this year on Thursday March 21st of the Gregorian Calendar. Baha'is observe Naw-Ruz with feasting and fellowship. Naw-Ruz meaning "New Day" in Persian is the Vernal Equinox when the sun crosses the equator and day and night are equal:

1. (Physical Geography) the time at which the sun crosses the plane of the equator towards the relevant hemisphere, making day and night of equal length. It occurs about March 21 in the N hemisphere (Sept 23 in the S hemisphere)
    2. (Astronomy) astronomy the point, lying in the constellation Pisces, at which the sun's ecliptic intersects the celestial equator

vernal equinox

It is the ancient Persian New Year also observed by Zoroastrians and Shi'ite Muslims …

"Nowruz, known as the Persian new year, is one of the most ancient celebrations in history and has been celebrated for around 4000 years in what is now Iran and in the extended cultural area known as Greater Iran...."

Nowruz - The Persian New Year and The Spring Equinox

Also see:

The Many Meanings of the Baha’i New Year (Naw-Ruz)

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. USincognito

USincognito Do u? Supporter

+12,571
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
    I attended some New Roos (as I spell it) celebrations when I lived in Iran. I still remember going to Chaharshanbe Suri observations and fire jumping.

3. Arthra

Arthra Baha'i

+502
    Other Religion
    Married
    A video about Naw-Ruz: