• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured Navy Seal found not guilty

Discussion in 'Current News & Events' started by hislegacy, Jul 2, 2019.

1. hislegacy

hislegacy This is me.

+6,840
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. devin553344

devin553344 Enlighten our lives dear Lord

+1,313
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
  3. SaintNick

SaintNick Member

+172
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    As an OIF/OEF veteran. (Combat Engineer)
    I am repulsed by this decision.
    If you look into his text messages etc the guy was a monster and even his guys spoke up about him... these are Navy Seals speaking that he wasn't right in the head.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Pommer

Pommer Autodidact polymath

+1,054
    United States
    Deist
    In Relationship
    US-Others
  5. SaintNick

SaintNick Member

+172
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Apparently the boy he killed was around twelve or so...

And another excerpt from the allegations is: "On other occasions while on duty as a sniper, Gallagher is alleged to have shot at two Iraqi citizens, an old man and a young girl, “with a dangerous weapon likely to produce death or grievous harm,”

Having experienced war first hand... everybody knows it takes it toll on the human psyche. Once you lose friends and that hatred builds and builds you're out for blood. It takes pure hate or pure fear to take a human life. Not only do I believe America as a country is obviously Anti-God but I've experienced the things that go unsaid in warfare on behalf of "Freedom."

This is just another sign of the times of how fallen the world is.

“This is not a case about SOC Gallagher killing an ISIS prisoner. This is a case about SOC Gallagher killing a prisoner whose wounds were being treated by his fellow SEALs,” Commander Christopher Czaplak, a Navy prosecutor, said during the pre-trial proceedings. “This is a case about SOC Gallagher shooting an old man on a street corner. This is a case about SOC Gallagher firing indiscriminately into a crowd of civilians, at women across a river, and it is a case about SOC Gallagher shooting a little girl who was running away from ISIS.”

War criminal.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. SummerMadness

SummerMadness Senior Veteran

+7,938
    Christian
    There are some people that truly have no honor. It's no surprise that these despicable murderers walk away from their crime. Everyone that applauds this decision shows what little regard they have for children.

7. wing2000

wing2000 E pluribus unum Supporter

+5,169
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    The linked article notes his own platoon members turned him in.....and it seems the Navy botched the investigation and one key witness flipped:

The SEAL command initially downplayed the platoon members’ reports about the chief, and did not start an investigation of the alleged crimes for more than a year, allowing the trail of evidence to grow cold. The lead prosecutor was removed from the case in May after he was caught improperly attaching tracking software to email messages sent to defense lawyers, leaving his replacement with just a few weeks to catch up before trial. And a key witness changed his story on the stand to favor Chief Gallagher.

The witness, Special Operator First Class Corey Scott, a SEAL medic who was given immunity from prosecution by the Navy, stunned prosecutors by testifying that he, and not Chief Gallagher, had killed the captive, by covering a breathing tube inserted in the captive’s neck. His testimony also deviated in other significant ways from what he had told investigators before trial; the Navy has indicated it is considering charging him with perjury.

8. SaintNick

SaintNick Member

+172
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    That's crazy. Let me tell you these guys aren't the kind you want to be enemies with. I'm sure a lot was said or threatened.

9. wing2000

wing2000 E pluribus unum Supporter

+5,169
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Exactly.

Some of the platoon members who spoke out were called traitors in a closed Facebook group and were threatened with violence. In court, some said they had started carrying weapons for self-defense.

10. Peter J Barban

Peter J Barban Well-Known Member

+403
    Christian
    Married
    It is not a good idea to decide that your judgment is better than the court's. Watch out for self-righteous hubris. Also, don't let the media bias you.

11. SaintNick

SaintNick Member

+172
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    My judgement is very sound and firmly rooted in truth but I do understand where you are coming from.
    I believe the courts and our system was jeopardized long ago.

12. SummerMadness

SummerMadness Senior Veteran

+7,938
    Christian
    The courts failed, murderers are walking free. When I think of my friend who died in Iraq, I am angered that these piles of human detritus walk around smugly. The fact that they would desecrate the body of a deceased child speaks volumes.

13. Peter J Barban

+403
    Christian
    Married
    Why is your judgment superior to the court's? I am unaware of your qualifications, experience, and knowledge of the law and the evidence.

14. Kentonio

Kentonio Well-Known Member

+3,327
    France
    Atheist
    Single
    We had one of these cases in Britain, and there was the same sickening rush of people trying to defend the guy, even though the military themselves and fellow soldiers had roundly condemned him for disgracing the uniform.

15. Peter J Barban

+403
    Christian
    Married
    Why did this sicken you? Isn't it normal to rush to defend the people you respect? Especially before you know the evidence.

Do normal people doing normal things usually sicken you?

Hopefully, you are just a sickened when people rush to condemn.

16. Kentonio

Kentonio Well-Known Member

+3,327
    France
    Atheist
    Single
    If a soldier does something bad enough to have their own military commanders and fellow soldiers denouncing them as a disgrace to the oaths they take and the militaries own moral codes, then yes I am sickened by people who disregard all that and leap to the assumption that because they're a soldier (and the person they callously murdered was foreign) that they must be unjustly accused and a hero.

So no it's not normal to disregard all the evidence and defend war criminals.

17. Goonie

Goonie Not so Mystic Mog. Supporter

+6,051
    United Kingdom
    Atheist
    Single
    Are you forgotting according to the defence all the testifying marine were snowflake millennials, so their words are worthless.

18. grasping the after wind

grasping the after wind That's grasping after the wind

+3,000
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    I did not think it was such a secret to people that the prosecution must prove the guilt of the defendant. If that does not happen the defendant is presumed innocent. I cannot find it in me to be upset that the system worked as it was designed to work. Outside of authoritarian circles, It has always been considered better for a few guilty people to go free than for innocent people to be punished for something they did not do. Unfortunately it seem there is a growing preference for authoritarianism including the attitude that the accused must prove their innocence.

19. Goonie

Goonie Not so Mystic Mog. Supporter

+6,051
    United Kingdom
    Atheist
    Single
    The thing is the rights portrayal of him as an American hero. If your picture if s hero is someone who is a murderous scumbag, as testified to to by members of his own seal team, or someone whos leadership is so abysmal that he unable to command loyalty in an institution that is built on it.

20. grasping the after wind

grasping the after wind That's grasping after the wind

+3,000
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    I had never heard of this person before seeing this thread. Can you document how the right, not some extreme outlier of the right but the actual right, has portrayed him as a hero? As for murderous scumbags being portrayed as heroes by people perhaps one might consider that the left has at least as many of those as the right does.