Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Filed under "Tom Marvolo Riddle":

Peter Navarro Invented an Expert for His Books, Based on Himself

Peter Navarro, a top White House trade adviser, has developed a reputation in Washington as a Rasputin-like China hawk who whispers anti-China musings in President Trump’s ear.
This week, Washington learned about the mysterious anti-China voice that has long whispered in Mr. Navarro’s ear: Ron Vara.
Ron Vara has appeared as a cryptic voice of economic wisdom more than a dozen times in five of Mr. Navarro’s 13 books, dispensing musings like “You’ve got to be nuts to eat Chinese food” and “Only the Chinese can turn a leather sofa into an acid bath, a baby crib into a lethal weapon and a cellphone battery into heart-piercing shrapnel.”
But Ron Vara, it turns out, does not exist. At least not in corporeal form. He is apparently a figment of Mr. Navarro’s imagination — an anagram of Mr. Navarro’s surname that the trade adviser created as a Hitchcockian writing device and stuck with as something of an inside joke with himself.

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's like the world is getting stupider every day.

In the US, that is the product of liberals completely taking over the education system.

• Informative
Reactions: Nithavela
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟551,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
In the US, that is the product of liberals completely taking over the education system.

Yes, that would certainly explain why conservative states tend to do more poorly on academic tests, why your Republican president who attended private schools writes letters like an 8-year old, and why his Republican adviser with PhD's from those bastions of liberalism Harvard Business School & Harvard School of Government cites quotes from his imaginary friend.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, that would certainly explain why conservative states tend to do more poorly on academic tests, why your Republican president who attended private schools writes letters like an 8-year old, and why his Republican adviser with PhD's from those bastions of liberalism Harvard Business School & Harvard School of Government cites quotes from his imaginary friend.

No, in truth, those older people were actually being given a superior education to what is currently making us stupider every day they just happen to be who they are naturally, no amount of education can cure stupidity even if a poor education can instill it. If education were not getting worse the world might not be be getting less stupid every day but we it wouldn't be getting more stupid.

Conservative states tend to do more poorly on academic tests you say. That is a very interesting statement. What kind of academic test does a state take? How does a state answer a test question at all? More poorly than who, no not who , probably in the case of a state that would have to be more poorly than what? All those other states doing not quite as poorly I suppose. Too bad no state does well but with liberal education policy dominating throughout the country that is probably asking too much. Do you think that calling Harvard School of Government a bastion of liberalism is a misrepresentation of the prevailing political leanings of the faculty there? I would wager it is not but perhaps a bastion of progressivism might be more apt? I will have to plead ignorance on that, Can't say I know much about the political leanings of any of the professors at Harvard other than there are not very many willing to call themselves conservatives.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
  • Agree
Reactions: Kaon
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟551,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Conservative states tend to do more poorly on academic tests you say. That is a very interesting statement. What kind of academic test does a state take? How does a state answer a test question at all? More poorly than who, no not who , probably in the case of a state that would have to be more poorly than what? All those other states doing not quite as poorly I suppose. Too bad no state does well but with liberal education policy dominating throughout the country that is probably asking too much.

That paragraph doesn't make any sense.

Do you think that calling Harvard School of Government a bastion of liberalism is a misrepresentation of the prevailing political leanings of the faculty there? I would wager it is not but perhaps a bastion of progressivism might be more apt? I will have to plead ignorance on that, Can't say I know much about the political leanings of any of the professors at Harvard other than there are not very many willing to call themselves conservatives.

They're a mix and back in 1979, they would've been more conservative as were most institutions.

Also, I made a mistake earlier - his Masters was from the school of government. His PhD was from the business school.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That paragraph doesn't make any sense.

I disagree. It surely makes as much sense as a sentence that has a state taking an academic test and doing more poorly.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟551,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I disagree. It surely makes as much sense as a sentence that has a state taking an academic test and doing more poorly.

The state as an institution doesn't take a test, but the students within those states do. I'm as much of a fan of pedantry as anybody, but pretending to be confused by my wording is more than a little ridiculous.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The state as an institution doesn't take a test, but the students within those states do. I'm as much of a fan of pedantry as anybody, but pretending to be confused by my wording is more than a little ridiculous.

Bemused would be a better term.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
Upvote 0